View Full Version : ***Potential Trigger*** Overreact

BellaVita
01-06-14, 01:49 PM
What do you do when you find out something bad?

Something you didn't think would happen?

And instantly become....well suicidal ideation? (Not actively suicidal,........)

And trying not to overreact but you're unmedicated and that's basically impossible?

When deep breaths don't work?

I seriously feel like saying screw it!

TygerSan
01-06-14, 02:59 PM
Go for a run. Sprint as far as you can.

Lose yourself in a video game, a really addictive one.

Hot shower and loud music?

Conman
01-06-14, 03:28 PM
i know that feeling. i just jump the gun to the worst possible way to go about it. all i know is that they are transient feelings, they do go away pretty soon, give it like a day, while youre in that overreacted mood do something sedative like, whether its actual meds/other or it's something that sedates you like whatever relaxes you. maybe loud music.

stef
01-06-14, 03:50 PM
i have no advice, i just shut down, chain smoke, wander aimlessly in the apartment...:grouphug:

Conman
01-06-14, 03:59 PM
yeah, going catatonic is a thing i do sometimes too when those overreactions occur. it helps to a degree

Fuzzy12
01-06-14, 04:44 PM
If overreactions means yelling and crying (or if you can't do that at home) physically screaming into a pillow and hitting your duvet then do it. Let it out as much as you can.

If it helps you can also of course let it out here and post. How you are ok bella

BellaVita
01-06-14, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys, the thoughts have mostly subsided....

I am a bit calmer now.

Modafinilguy
01-06-14, 05:40 PM
BellaVita (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=55393),

If you are having suicidal type thoughts, then what has happened must be pretty close to home in terms of emotion.

I don't know your DX, but with just ADHD.

Obviously you need social support. I hope you have good social support, people who care and emphasize with your experiences.

I mean not advocating drugs, I mean if your the sort of person that can only do it occasionally, and do not suffer serious anxiety (or bipolar) then a small amount of Marijuana can do wonders for stress. NOT on a regular basis, but seriously, one puff, as long as your not anxiety prone, it can really help you wind down, in a relaxed environment.

Alcohol is bad, especially if you lose control, but to be honest, sometimes I have 2-3 beers. You have to be careful, that it doesn't become regular or you don't drink more. However in the few people that can moderate their alcohol use, a couple of drinks can help.

Sorry lol, the above should NOT be used by people with a history of significant addiction, only by the minority that is certain they can keep it occasional.

Catapres 0.1mg if you don't have tolerance to it, pretty relaxing.

Its hard to advise without knowing the sort of thing it is.

Getting out, seeing a friend. Taking a bit of distance from the source of the trouble.

If you feel like telling more either here or by pm. Well I am willing to trade you something of equal "badness" that I have experienced! My word on confidentiality if you don't put it here, your a mod, you can kick my *** :)

Alternatively if you give me a hint so I can estimate the sort of issue it is, I am sure to have some horror stories to tell you that are so bad, that they will make you feel better cause you will go "Well things could be worst" :)

I've been through some REALLY, EXTREMELY traumatic situations, that I almost never talk about, because people just don't understand, indeed they may think these events were perhaps justified (perhaps they were based on truth? They were NOT).

How is this for traumatic?

You were not the biological parent, but had an absolute strong loving bond as a parental figure in various children's lives since the youngest age- they deeply loved you. They were taken away from you- COMPLETELY- based on assertions that were UTTERLY false, but there was no avenue to fight the assertions. The children were horrendously damaged by being taken away, and your heard constant accounts of their awful emotional suffering- constant crying, but there was nothing you could do to comfort them.

Well the above is a hint of something traumatic I went through, quite a few years ago now. It has such a bad impact on me, that I truly nearly completely cracked up. I was haunted day and night, extremely agitated, and constantly waking up from nightmares. I developed serious anger problems. Indeed in the end, I nearly went on an insane violent rampage of revenge that would have resulted in my certain death. Eventually after all the emotions, I filled up with the most deep, bitter hatred. I am so glad I am free of that now. Well that's some of my past emotional baggage :)

Thankfully that is all over now.

midnightstar
01-06-14, 06:40 PM
Hope you are feeling better lovely Bella <3 cuddle with your dog I find animals are very calming :)

Lizzie80
01-06-14, 10:59 PM
What do you do when you find out something bad?

Something you didn't think would happen?

And instantly become....well suicidal ideation? (Not actively suicidal,........)

And trying not to overreact but you're unmedicated and that's basically impossible?

When deep breaths don't work?

I seriously feel like saying screw it!

No really healthy suggestions I can offer as a way to feel better, but a big :grouphug: to you, at least...