View Full Version : My recent adventures in (legal) self-medicating, if anyone's interested

demfabbones
01-08-14, 12:09 AM
So I'm no longer on meds for anxiety, and after a few relatively "calm" years I've had a period of high anxiety that started about 6 weeks ago. In an attempt to control it until I could get in to see a doctor, I cut back caffeine and tried different types of herbal teas that are supposed to calm and lessen anxiety. (Kava, "Tension Tamer", chamomile, etc.) I also got sort of hooked on that laundry soap-looking NueroBliss (supposed to increase beta brain waves ... but I was really hooked for the taste, which everyone else seems to hate.)

Anyway, after weeks of no caffeine and lots of miserable mornings, I broke down today and got a large regular coffee. I expected it to wreak havoc on my nerves. Instead I had one of the best days I've had in weeks. Virtually no anxiety at all.

I feel like the teas definitely "calm" me, but they don't take away my overwhelming sense of dread ... instead it's like I'm too dulled to get upset, so I just accept the misery. Guess what? Accepting the misery is an awful feeling. I don't want to say this lightly, but I think it may be worse than panic attacks. At least if I'm panicking, I feel like I know myself. The dull feeling made me feel like a different person. A calmer person, but a person I didn't want to be.

I'm totally NOT trying to discourage anyone from trying these as everyone is different. I'm sure they work wonders for some people (and I wish they did for me.) But, at least I realized what doesn't work. I have an appointment with my doctor on Friday and I'll definitely share my thoughts with him.

And if anyone wants to try the teas, I have several boxes I could send you! :lol:

janiew
01-08-14, 12:36 AM
I drank teas, etc. to help calm me prior to meds - Adderall, Prozac, and Intuniv.

Don't need tea now other than for taste, diversion, etc.

I sleep on coffee...

sarahsweets
01-08-14, 05:23 AM
My concern lies with the Kava, if I am not mistaken, isnt that similar to an opiate?Not that it is an opiate but isnt it used as such?

Modafinilguy
01-09-14, 09:07 AM
sarahsweets (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=50304),

Kava is physically safe and not regarded to have much addiction potential at all.

However, heavy and excessive use can trigger depressive symptoms and dysphoria, and very heavy long term use may be associated with moderately seriously health problem, if I remember correctly: Skin problems.