View Full Version : yo autistic people

Abi
01-09-14, 03:53 PM
from my posts, do i strike you guys as aspie/autism spectrummy?

Fraser_0762
01-09-14, 04:06 PM
You mean.... can we detect whether you have Autism or not, based on nothing more than internet text?

Abi
01-09-14, 04:44 PM
Yes. That is precisely what I mean.

Fraser_0762
01-09-14, 05:04 PM
In that case.

"Inconclusive"

fracturedstory
01-10-14, 09:59 PM
Not really. I mean you have so much honesty it can come across as pretty harsh but I figured that was the bipolar. You have bipolar, right? I hope I'm not confusing you with someone else.

Abi
01-10-14, 10:02 PM
I do, indeed, have bipolar as my primary diagosis.

Chivalry
01-25-14, 09:46 AM
Maybe not people, but I would in my opinion think Doctors (the brain doctors) would 99% be able to get know :D

JesseB138
01-26-14, 04:26 AM
I do, indeed, have bipolar as my primary diagosis.

Is that really your display pic? Looks professional.

janiew
01-26-14, 04:46 AM
Abi is a guy...

I can't tell if you're on the autism spectrum or not, but I'm pretty sure I am and my youngest son is...

It seems to be pretty clear that ADHD is on the spectrum....

Bipolar, no clue. Think it might be different.

Are you diagnosed bipolar and ADHD?

Fortune
01-26-14, 05:30 AM
Abi, I have no idea.

From my interactions with you, I'd say "I don't know." I mean it's not a thing I would guess.

If you think it's worth exploring, I can give you some links that may be helpful. Or they may lead you down blind alleys. Hard to say.

Rebelyell
01-26-14, 05:44 AM
No from your elaborate story telling themes and schemes from the games you put on here you make normal people look stupid.

janiew
01-26-14, 05:54 AM
No from your elaborate story telling themes and schemes from the games you put on here you make normal people look stupid.

Yeah, we are all a bunch of dumb asses... Or not...

:giggle:

Rebelyell
01-26-14, 06:00 AM
No I think his games are brilliant wether were a bunch of dumb asses or not.

someothertime
01-26-14, 06:26 AM
Abi there is something very definite in your style. I kind of always put that down to intelligence. Then there's the alter to factor in... your funny a guy... there is a blunt color in your humor...

Wherever you go with this... I think the clearest indicators would be between 5-7... agitation at groups and whatnot. All my agitation at that age was pretty much directed at authority ( or overthingking the group dynamic ~emotional need~ ).

daveddd
01-26-14, 06:43 AM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3514634/

janiew
01-26-14, 06:53 AM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3514634/

I tried to read this article and it doesn't seem to include ADHD/autism/learning disorders, which appear to be neurological.

Seems bipolar, schizophrenia, etc., labels might not be as useful. Other than defining behavior and applying it to a scale.

Lol, I am definitely manic tonight because I've been feeling good and have accomplished tasks. How often do I feel good???

When I feel good I have to go with it.

Later ---

daveddd
01-26-14, 06:55 AM
abi is bipolar

emotional deficits are what define autism

Fortune
01-26-14, 07:18 AM
Emotional deficits? I'm pretty sure people spend way more time defining it as social/communication deficits, plus some repetitive behavior.

BellaVita
01-26-14, 07:21 AM
You have never seemed to be to me

(Especially not on phone)

:D

daveddd
01-26-14, 07:55 AM
Emotional deficits? I'm pretty sure people spend way more time defining it as social/communication deficits, plus some repetitive behavior.

Isn't emotional issues and empathetic issues at the bottom of that stuff?

Thought it was. Maybe I'm wrong

sarek
01-26-14, 07:59 AM
Abi you absolutely do NOT come across as autistic to me.

Fortune
01-26-14, 08:13 AM
Isn't emotional issues and empathetic issues at the bottom of that stuff?

Thought it was. Maybe I'm wrong

I think it's more a processing thing that impacts basically everything else, hence uneven development in autistics compared to NTs. Like, there are emotional issues, sensory issues, repetitive behaviors, special interests, social issues, communication issues, speech issues, etc.

I wasn't so much trying to correct you just sort of snarking about the way autism is written about by many experts.

daveddd
01-26-14, 08:20 AM
Ok I just brought it up because the emotional issues seen in autism(alexthymiA) can be seen (and maybe related) in ADHD and bipolar. Slight variations it seems

daveddd
01-26-14, 09:02 AM
the lower my mood (which is a large majority of the time) the more autistic i am

the more manic i am the less autistic

i would assume that makes me not autistic

autistic shutdown?

Abi
01-26-14, 05:45 PM
THanks everyone for the input :)

fracturedstory
01-28-14, 08:18 AM
Mania makes me more social but empathy can still be impaired, though sometimes it's like I suddenly magically have more. I'm more motivated and stick quite strictly to a routine. Plus I hand flap more. More anxiety and more excitement.

When I'm more autistic I barely even think about bipolar or ADHD. It's just sensory issues and social communication deficits and special interests and CHANGE IS SO DAMN SCARY! When I'm manic I'm more able to give something new a try. Last time I bought plane tickets and I was like yeah yeah I can do this. In fact I might just take a plane interstate now.

Lunacie
01-28-14, 12:42 PM
abi is bipolar

emotional deficits are what define autism

Not true. Autistic people do not have a deficit of emotions.

They have trouble expressing their emotions in words for other people to understand,

which makes it seem like they don't experience emotions.

In fact, they are often so swamped by their emotions that they can't make sense of them.

They also have trouble identifying emotions in other people which impairs their social skills.

It is most often identified by restricted and/or repetitive behaviors.

Corina86
01-28-14, 01:19 PM
When I was a child I had all symptoms of autism: not talking, extreme social anxiety with people outside my family, no facial expression, not accepting to be touched, being extremely picky with the texture of my food (not the taste!), being in my own imaginary world etc, but I always understood social cues and language and I never had routines/repetitive behaviors, just small obsessions- I guess I just didn't care to communicate with others unless I needed something. Even if I have it, I wouldn't be bothered by that right now, it's not like there's a treatment for it or anything.

Rebelyell
01-28-14, 01:33 PM
When it comes to being artistic I might as well be autistic, I cant even draw a shtick figure.

Lunacie
01-28-14, 01:47 PM
When it comes to being artistic I might as well be autistic, I cant even draw a shtick figure.

My granddaughter who has autism has just in the past year begun drawing stick figures - and she's 12 now.

Before they were just bubble heads with eyes and mouths. Kinda eerie looking.

daveddd
01-28-14, 02:24 PM
Not true. Autistic people do not have a deficit of emotions.

They have trouble expressing their emotions in words for other people to understand,

which makes it seem like they don't experience emotions.

In fact, they are often so swamped by their emotions that they can't make sense of them.

They also have trouble identifying emotions in other people which impairs their social skills.

It is most often identified by restricted and/or repetitive behaviors.

uh

the emotional deficits , in the study refer to exactly what you are saying

deficits in recognizing , labeling, emotions in others, empathy , social empathy, yada yada

not a deficit OF a deficit in

Lunacie
01-28-14, 03:27 PM
uh

the emotional deficits , in the study refer to exactly what you are saying

deficits in recognizing , labeling, emotions in others, empathy , social empathy, yada yada

not a deficit OF a deficit in

Okay, thanks for making that more clear - a deficit IN emotional issues, not a deficit OF emotions.

I was also trying to make it clear that this isn't the only thing that defines autism.

daveddd
01-28-14, 04:17 PM
Okay, thanks for making that more clear - a deficit IN emotional issues, not a deficit OF emotions.

I was also trying to make it clear that this isn't the only thing that defines autism.

i can see how emotional deficits would look like lack of emotion, should of used difficulty in navigating emotion or something

i most likely would be dx with autism by at least some doctors, though my current ones don't think so

so i know what you mean

im alexythymic (85% of autists) im begining to gain some insight though through mindfulness, with sensations that use to be unexplained

daveddd
01-28-14, 04:23 PM
at times I'm unaware I'm getting sick too

Lunacie
01-28-14, 04:34 PM
at times I'm unaware I'm getting sick too

We see this in my granddaughter too. Do you feel this is a separate issue from hyposensitivity?

She rarely feels pain, even with a broken foot!

We watch for changes in behavior, like refusing to go to school today but not being able to tell us why -

she may be getting sick.

Corina86
01-28-14, 04:45 PM

Actually, I saw a documentary about autists once and there was a guy who was an amazing painter. In fact, aspies/HFA's can be very talented and good at something they love.

daveddd
01-28-14, 04:55 PM
We see this in my granddaughter too. Do you feel this is a separate issue from hyposensitivity?

She rarely feels pain, even with a broken foot!

We watch for changes in behavior, like refusing to go to school today but not being able to tell us why -

she may be getting sick.

i do have a high pain tolerance

but the unable to tell if I'm getting sick is noted in alexthymia as well

i confuse it with just a low mood or don't notice it at all

Lunacie
01-28-14, 05:10 PM

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

Rebelyell
01-28-14, 06:29 PM
heehee you think my drawing is bad you should see my handwriting.Everyone has there talents and god given gifts in life.Didnt mean too peeve anyone off was just trying to be funny,sorry if I offended anyone.

Fortune
01-28-14, 07:12 PM

Here's an autistic artist's work. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/3634636/Human-camera-Autistic-artist-Stephen-Wiltshire-visits-the-new-St-Pancras.html)

Autism isn't exactly associated with lack of ability to draw.

Rebelyell
01-28-14, 07:32 PM
ok ok I get the freaking point

Fortune
01-28-14, 09:41 PM
I'm sorry if you read any hostility in that. Like there are some astoundingly good autistic artists out there, and I was trying to point that out.

fracturedstory
01-28-14, 10:36 PM
I know you were just trying to say something funny and cute but comparing autism to dyslexia (i.e social dyslexia = can't communicate well with people because it's taken from the understanding that people with dyslexia struggle to read) is incorrect. Autistic people can be very artistic. People consider me a gifted artist.

heehee you think my drawing is bad you should see my handwriting.Everyone has there talents and god given gifts in life.Didnt mean too peeve anyone off was just trying to be funny,sorry if I offended anyone.
Take better care next time.

I didn't notice the replies before I posted.

I'm sorry if you read any hostility in that. Like there are some astoundingly good autistic artists out there, and I was trying to point that out.
I was just trying to point out that autistic doesn't mean lack skills in, except for social skills but it's not applied to artistic skills.

With all the awareness around these days I can't believe someone would even think that way even if it was a joke.

fracturedstory
01-28-14, 10:45 PM
When I was a child I had all symptoms of autism: not talking, extreme social anxiety with people outside my family, no facial expression, not accepting to be touched, being extremely picky with the texture of my food (not the taste!), being in my own imaginary world etc, but I always understood social cues and language and I never had routines/repetitive behaviors, just small obsessions- I guess I just didn't care to communicate with others unless I needed something. Even if I have it, I wouldn't be bothered by that right now, it's not like there's a treatment for it or anything.

Sounds more like selective mutism than autism. And a mixture of sensory issues.

Rebelyell
01-28-14, 10:47 PM
Well duhh I do have adhd have poor social skills n dont think before I speak half the time so its therefore not only possible it is.If I was anywhere near remotely nt I wouldnt even be on this forum.

Fortune
01-29-14, 12:59 AM
Many of us have poor social skills, Rebel.

I am, among other things, characteristically blunt.

janiew
01-29-14, 01:14 AM
I suck - later...

Corina86
01-29-14, 09:00 AM
Well duhh I do have adhd have poor social skills n dont think before I speak half the time so its therefore not only possible it is.If I was anywhere near remotely nt I wouldnt even be on this forum.

Kneel and you might receive forgiveness!!! :D

fracturedstory
01-31-14, 01:43 AM

So do I.

We're not face to face, you have time to cool down and think about what you say. Even edit it and even delete it.

Try not using 'duhh' as 1. It's immature, and 2) It's confrontational. Well, the latter part only applies to me.

To be honest this is the only time on this forum for the many years I've been here where you have said something noticeably offensive.

Anyway, I forgive you.

janiew
01-31-14, 02:27 AM

I can relate... and get caught up and distracted by survival. I've had rheumatoid arthritis for decades evidently based on xrays and MRIs, perhaps along with Lupus and Multiple Sclerosis - waiting for more lab results.

I don't know I'm sick until I'm hit with a stick. Like I have also lost most of my sense of smell. My other senses have compensated fairly well.

Too many factors. My immediate family, who I think should have been on it from the git-go, let it slide. A lot of narcissism in this family...

The main positive that I can share is that I have learned to survive in many ways. It is what it is.

Jane