View Full Version : Is strattera similar to tramadol

Brittany
01-09-14, 09:06 PM
I figured id post this here, I asked something similar in another forum and would really like to know from somone who takes strattera and has taken tramadol, I think beautifully on tramadol. Any info would be great:)

janiew
01-09-14, 09:09 PM
Let me know, Brittany. Very curious too.

Dmitri
01-09-14, 09:11 PM
Isn't tramadol a painkiller?

I used to snort those.

They were prescribed to my friend's dog, buckeye. Me and my friend would snort about 3 of them and do homework. The jar had about 90. They burned my nose and gave me a headache.

Ahhhhh tramadol

janiew
01-09-14, 09:14 PM
Um, appreciate this colorful response. But it's not the answer we are looking for...

Peace out, Dmitri.

:)

Dmitri
01-09-14, 09:16 PM
Well idk, strattera is for ADHD, while tramadol is an opioid analgesic. Two different functions I don't understand how they could be similar

janiew
01-09-14, 09:20 PM
Pharmacologically, they are similar.

Hard to imagine, but true. We found out by accident.

Google it.

janiew
01-09-14, 09:30 PM
No, that's okay, Dmitri.

I've never snorted tramadol/ultram but I know from past experience it works as a smart drug for my ADHD issues.

It is a weak opiate and a definite serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI). It works on serotonin and norepinephrine transmitters.

I don't recommend snorting anything. Not good for the sinuses and nasal passages...

Brittany
01-10-14, 02:56 AM
Well I know it's a painkiller but the rest of the adhd meds have bad side affects for me, never did well on an anti depressant, but pharmilogically they are similar so wondering if they felt similar to because if love to find something that helps me that much with minimal side affects, never snorted it lol I know people who have but ah not for me I hate feeling like I have sinus problems haha but to each his own and I feel I'm way to paranoid anyways, but how does stratera feel ? Do u feel it the first day? Does it make u weak and I'll ? Iv got 0 time a tall to be weak and Ill lol

LynneC
01-10-14, 01:49 PM
Not sure if the potential side effects (of Tramadol not Strattera) and addiction likelihood would be worth it. It's meant to be taken short term.

from Wikipedia:
Long-term use of high doses of tramadol may be associated with physical dependence and a withdrawal syndrome.[26] Tramadol causes typical opiate-like withdrawal symptoms as well as atypical withdrawal symptoms including seizures[citation needed]. The atypical withdrawal symptoms are probably related to tramadol's effect on serotonin and norepinephrine re-uptake. Symptoms may include those of SSRI discontinuation syndrome, such as anxiety, depression, anguish, severe mood swings, aggressiveness, brain "zaps", electric-shock-like sensations throughout the body, paresthesias, sweating, palpitations, restless legs syndrome, sneezing, insomnia, vivid dreams or nightmares, micropsia and/or macropsia, tremors, and headache among others. In most cases, tramadol withdrawal will set in 12–20 hours after the last dose, but this can vary.

Tramadol withdrawal lasts longer than that of other opioids; seven days or more of acute withdrawal symptoms can occur as opposed to typically three or four days for other codeine analogues. It is recommended that patients physically dependent on pain killers take their medication regularly to prevent onset of withdrawal symptoms and this is particularly relevant to tramadol because of its SSRI and SNRI properties, and, when the time comes to discontinue their tramadol, to do so gradually over a period of time that will vary according to the individual patient and dose and length of time on the drug.[27][28][29][30]

ETA: I just realized that you were asking about the Strattera, as opposed to taking Tramadol for ADHD. my bad...
Seems like if Tramadol helped your ADHD there is a good possibility that the Strattera might work also. It's a longish titration process to reach an effective dose though...

Dmitri
01-10-14, 04:03 PM
Yeah opiates are a lot more addicting than ADHD meds.
I also used tramadol to detox from vicodin and percs

Twiggy
01-10-14, 04:23 PM
Try to get Strattera prescribed and you'll see. I've never taken it, but I've heard that some people do well on it.

peripatetic
01-11-14, 11:14 AM
moderator note

i've reopened this thread after removing several posts that are in violation of our guidelines. whilst noting former misuse is not in violation, provided it does not support/encourage further misuse or request such information from the membership, anything that does encourage/support or requests encouragement/support for misuse is unacceptable.

there are several places online that encourage/support substance misuse. this is NOT one of them. allowing such posts/threads would be a disservice to our members, many of whom struggle to receive proper treatment due to the stigma surrounding adhd and medications used to treat it. that stigma is in no small part due to those without adhd taking them without a prescription and those with adhd taking more than prescribed, both of which types of misuse are illegal. since the aim of the forums is to provide information and support to those with adhd and our loved ones, we cannot and will not provide a platform for promoting ANY type of medication misuse of ANY prescription medication.

of course, we do recognize many members suffer with addiction and need support in *combatting addiction* and there is a substance abuse/addiction subsection in co existing for that very reason. if anyone has a substance abuse issue please do avail yourself of that section, but, of course, not to request assistance in exploring other substance misuse.

if there are questions you may direct them to me via private message.

here is a link to the full forum guidelines: http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

thank you and now back to the topic of this thread

-peri