View Full Version : Anyone taking high dosed B12?

noradd
01-10-14, 10:44 PM
I read that many people are B12 deficient and that this can cause all sorts of mental and neurological problems.
I was thinking about simply trying some Methyl B12 Lozenges. They are said to be very well absorbable. But I also worry is taking 500mcg or 1000mcg B12 which is a pretty high dose compared to what you usually find in a multi vitamin safe? Are there any dangers or risks of overdosing?
I don't even have to ask my GP about this. He will just roll his eyes and tell me that nobody needs vitamins if he eats a good diet. :rolleyes:
But I was also totally vitamin D deficient (I now take D3) and I also have low levels of vitamin A and zinc. So I think that B12 could as well be low, too.

phantasm
01-10-14, 11:08 PM
HI Norad - I posted about this on another thread. I take these http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Dietary-Supplement-Tablets/dp/B00DBP0ZVU There found at a health food chain here in the states. I pay $8, but they are twice as much on Amazon. Anyway, I started taking B vitamins because my diet was going the way of vegetarian, and B vitamins can get deficient when you don't eat meat.

My doc said the best B vitamins to take are the ones that you let dissolve under the tongue, not in pill form and swallowed. The pill form doesn't get absorbed by the body very well and gets wasted through your digestive system.

Check with your pdoc and make sure you ask if it will work with the meds you are currently taking. (if you take meds)

1 pill under the tongue and it perks me right up. I swear by them.

You definitely don't want to abuse B vitamins, like any vitamin or drug. If you choose to take the, look for one that can be absorbed under the tongue. They are pretty cheap too, and you should notice the affect quickly after taking it.

dvdnvwls
01-11-14, 02:44 AM
Are all B vitamins available in sublingual form (dissolve under the tongue), or only B12? B12 is the only one I've seen in that format, but perhaps I've been looking in the wrong places.

Pingu*
01-11-14, 03:21 AM
Are there any dangers or risks of overdosing?
Generally speaking water-soluable vitamins like vitamin B12 are not toxic when taken in larger than recommended amounts (as long as it is not an enormous amount) as the body can get rid of excess. Fat-soluable vitamins like vitamin A or D are more dangerous (especially A) as they can accumulate in the body.

But, the daily recommended dose of vitamin B12 is just 2 g/day (in the Nordic countries (http://www.slv.se/upload/NNR5/Chapter%20Vitamin%20B12%20NNR%202012.pdf)), so a 500 g supplement sounds a bit overkill :)

mrs. dobbs
01-11-14, 04:36 AM
B12 vitamins make me feel extremely agitated. Anyone else have this problem? On the other hand I feel great when I eat meat and fish. I want to be vegan but when I tried I felt horrriibble.

noradd
01-11-14, 08:48 PM
Hello,
Trader Joes aren't available where I live. I could get Methyl B12 from Now,Jarrow,Doctor's Best.

Yes the daily recommendations of B12 are totally low, which is also why I worry if 500mcg or 1000mcg could be dangerous somehow. But I also heard that the RDA is way too low. So I dont know who to believe. :confused:

Afaik only B12 comes as lozenges which dissolve in the mouth.

janiew
01-11-14, 09:11 PM
My pdoc, GP, and rheum doc test for Bs along with D3 in each of my labs.

My pdoc said I don't need B supplementation.

We are all different.

noradd
01-12-14, 07:40 PM
So would taking B12 when your levels are normal be dangerous?
My levels were normal but they were rather low.

Ken2013
01-13-14, 07:19 AM
I read that many people are B12 deficient and that this can cause all sorts of mental and neurological problems.
I was thinking about simply trying some Methyl B12 Lozenges. They are said to be very well absorbable. But I also worry is taking 500mcg or 1000mcg B12 which is a pretty high dose compared to what you usually find in a multi vitamin safe? Are there any dangers or risks of overdosing?
I don't even have to ask my GP about this. He will just roll his eyes and tell me that nobody needs vitamins if he eats a good diet. :rolleyes:
But I was also totally vitamin D deficient (I now take D3) and I also have low levels of vitamin A and zinc. So I think that B12 could as well be low, too.

We were taught that Vitamin B12 was mostly poorly absorbed orally.

People who have a Vitamin B12 deficiency tend to receive Intramuscular B12 Injections instead, 3 shots I believe over a few weeks.

noradd
01-14-14, 07:57 PM
Hello,
do you know how safe B12 is?
I read warnings about it that it can cause blood disorders like too many red blood cells. This sounded pretty scary. Now I don't even know if oral B12 is safe.