View Full Version : Lithium mental side effects?

ViaPurifico
01-11-14, 04:04 AM
Hey everyone!
I noticed something when I stop taking my Lithium. I feel awake, alert, and clear minded again! You can assume the opposite happens when I start taking it again, which is in fact true. I feel absent minded, like I am not really here anymore. It is quite irritating because I want to feel like my normal self! This is one reason why I am non compliant with my Lithium every now and then.
If I were to take my dexedrine while fogged out of my mind from the Lithium, it slightly clears the "clouds" up. But then returns when the meds wear off.

I am wondering if any of you peeps experience this type of I guess brain fog with lithium. Also, if you are on stimulants for your ADHD, do you notice any changes when you take it?

Daydreamin22
01-12-14, 12:59 AM
hmm.. never been on lithium.. are you also rxed other meds? maybe they arent supposed to be mixed? just a guess

adhdogwalker
01-26-14, 10:08 PM
I've been on lithium with adderall (and a few other things) for four years now. I have heard other people say that lithium gives them brain fog but I find it has the opposite effect. I feel much clearer when I take it and am overall better organized and able to focus more easily since I've been on it. I have had the experience of incredible brain fog and confusion with other meds so I understand the frustration. Maybe you could talk to your doctor about finding something else that works for your moods and doesn't make you foggy. It's a lot to wish for, but it is possible. I went through 3 years of hell with my meds being constantly switched before I achieved the right combo.