View Full Version : Clinical and treatment implications of co-morbidity

Amtram
01-12-14, 12:51 PM
I found this at Psychiatric Times. . .The Clinical and Treatment Implications of Co-Occurring Mania and ADHD in Youths. (http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/print/191381/page/0/3)

It was originally an educational piece for professionals, so it has a header explaining what it contains:
Educational Objectives

After reading this article, readers should be able to:
Better appreciate the familial role in ADHD
Recognize the implications of ADHD and bipolar comorbidity
Understand the overlapping psychopathology and diagnostic issues associated with ADHD and bipolar comorbidity
Comprehend the psychopharmacological response in comorbid ADHD and bipolar disorder
Initiate a treatment strategy that may include mood stabilizers and stimulant medications

Who will benefit from reading this article?
Psychiatrists, child and adolescent psychiatrists, psychologists, primary care physicians, nurse practitioners, and other health care professionals.

While the article is ostensibly focused on adolescent co-morbidity, I found that it had a lot of useful information for adults, as well. In fact, since the nurse practitioner at my psychiatrist's office brought up the possibility of bipolar with me, I found it so useful that I printed it out to bring to my next appointment. It's several pages, but well worth the time, whether you suspect bipolar in yourself or a loved one or not.