View Full Version : Professional help in Australia

ban_ban
01-14-14, 12:40 PM
<hr style="color:#D1D1E1" size="1"> Hi guys, ive actually already put this thread in the general ADD forum but i thought i put it as well just incase!

Ive just had my first psychologist visit today, she booked me in for next week aswell. I feel okay but Ive been thinking..

Well at the moment im receiving help from medicare and health care card (I live in Australia) and my psychologist visits are free and bulk billed. However that is only for number of visits after that i would have to pay.

The psych im seeing is a counselor not a clinical psych, and i havent even begin think to seeing a psychiatrist!

Anyone had any experience in pursuit of help for themselves? Has money been an issue? Any advice?

im quite happy seeing a psych counselor atm since im still not certain about ADHD and want to know what else is up with me, however she isnt an expert in ADHD so it wouldnt be somthing she is looking for. But if i wanted to find more help money could be an issue for me.

thanks

someothertime
01-14-14, 01:03 PM
Hey ban_ban...

Yeah... my experience has been medicare covers majority ( 95% ) of psychologist visits providing your on what's called a "health care plan" from your GP. They can authorise 2 x 6 ( or 8 :scratch: ) sessions to be covered. My understanding is that is per annum... so I guess the next year 12 more could be covered if the GP says they are required.

Psychiatrist wise medicare covers around 70% for me... try make sure you sign up for the "cap thingy" ( sorry forgot the name :o )... after you spend around $800 ( on any service - that's with the 70% rebate included so you'd only really be down around $300 ) they cover alot more... so my psychiatrist after around 4 or 5 visits gets refunded around 90-95%.

I'm not sure if medicare treats "counsellors" as different from a psychologist... with regards to the "health care plan"...

Now... as for what you need ( from therapy ) ... look, I think the most critical thing here is;

Your really looking at three things...

-now one is a psychiatrist if medication is involved. Bare minimum you'd want to allow for 3 - 5 "starting" sessions in the first 6 months then one every two to three months after that.
( bookings can be an issue here )

-two is a "mood therapist"... now essentially we are looking at day to day thinking... the big picture of life kinda stuff... if they ( or the psychiatrist ) identify major trauma et. al. this will add another dimension here.

( intensive workshops and support groups can augment the above for a faster/cheaper/mixed mode delivery of the aspects above )

-three is a functional guide. This might be a coach... a therapist, a counsellor etc. etc.

So... out of all that stuff what is most important is that the key contributors are highlighted and dealt with first. This seems to be where the blurriness comes into the above. Many counsellors are great with the NT population at discussing and reasoning with a clients past... though few know what it takes to effect change and presence in an Adder... some might say that this comes from within... and in a sense that is true... Though a practitioner with the smarts will really narrow in and "chunkify" what's the current track and place a real emphasis on steps / actions / ongoing input from you.

I know I really lack in the third department. When I joined ADDF, I was initially trying to track down a local coach... This is the most blurry area with costs for me... also locally skilled people are thin on the ground as best as I can tell, hence I have attended a few group events and therapy workshops and will continue to do so... though I could still really use a coach.

So........ Psych-ia(diag-meds)..... Psychol/Couns(issues-thinking-approach)..... Coach-You-Psychol-Couns(appliciation)....

1. Is fairly straight forward though will cost a bit initially and is hard to book
2. Will vary though be careful not to talk until the cows come home.
3. Is where the real challenge lies or tying that into 2.

Sorry if that explanation is a lil combobulated.... feel free to postback any further concerns clarification on your question :)

someothertime
01-14-14, 01:17 PM
ha! i just re-read your OP and saw a lil more of your context.... here is a more perspective focused answer;

ok, a therapist with lil or no knowledge of adhd may be able to help highlight past contributors.... maybe implement some action based treatments.... if they are good they can do a heck of alot...

from my experience going the traditional route above is that the adhd ( if present ) underpins almost every other issue... so apart from some initial grieving, self acceptance and clarification... most often very few learnered practitioners pay much heed to "issues"...

with add(h)-ers it's more about the now... a top down approach so to speak... for that reason... i'd strongly suggest you try get a psychiatrist with adhd knowledge booked in... and do 1 -3 visits to cement what your dealing with... maybe you've got great coping mechanisms and a great therapist or some other factors and you do well without it...

most with ADHD... who do not address that first and foremost... waste time and money chasing their tale ;)

ban_ban
01-14-14, 02:30 PM
Hey thanks for the answer, its super long haha but i dont really understand it properly at all sorry =_=

what does NT mean? lol

I think i read ur posts like 10 times and I dont fully get what your trying to say sorry again

Could you clarify more for me?

So I should try to see a psychiatrist?

Im not sure but I dont think psychs with a counselingMA can diagnose? I dno i thought you need to go to a clinical psych? not sure at all.

She gave me a DASS21 to do, which is pretty standard.

ban_ban
01-14-14, 02:43 PM
2. Will vary though be careful not to talk until the cows come home.

haha what does that mean?

when i spoke to the psych i felt like i talked alot, paused alot, over thinking on the DASS21.

im not sure if shes a good psych yet, maybe ill know next week.

i have an inkling that she thinks its my "can't attitude"

Im just not sure on ADHD, and i want to explore other reasons

Im just worried how long I can go on with an unstable life?

someothertime
01-15-14, 12:02 AM
In a nutshell yeah bams...

psychiatrist is the best place to start.

Are you scared of being blamed for your problems? Scared of being put on some sort of med and pidgeon holed? Is that part of the reason you want to investigate other options? I was...

someothertime
01-15-14, 12:06 AM
Na..... that cows come home thing was more about over sessions and sessions... you just talk.... little guidance... ( resolutions )

ban_ban
01-15-14, 11:30 AM
In a nutshell yeah bams...

psychiatrist is the best place to start.

Are you scared of being blamed for your problems? Scared of being put on some sort of med and pidgeon holed? Is that part of the reason you want to investigate other options? I was...

oh okay, yeah, but ill see where these psych sessions take me.. if it doesnt help ill definitely have to step up to psychiatrist lol

I just really want to know if there is somthing else that can explain how and why I do the things I do better than ADHD. I mean i already feel like im making excuses just admitting im having a hard time and saying that there is somthing wrong with me. Im always having a fight with my self between "i really dont feel well, i dont seem to be functioning as well, juggling things feel extremely overwhelming" and "oh get over it, its fine, everyone is in the same boat, I just need to grow up and start handling life like an adult and keep up, i mean i am 22 now!"

someothertime
01-15-14, 11:09 PM
"oh get over it, its fine, everyone is in the same boat, I just need to grow up and start handling life like an adult and keep up, i mean i am 22 now!"

well... i told myself the same thing from 22 to 34... sure i had a year or two where something took off... visiting ( a good ) psychiatrist was the best thing I ever did. albeit, i did go in with the adhd possibility in hand. before that i was scared that they would pump me up with anti depressants and i knew it wasn't the full story. in hindsight if anti-depressants are what i needed then i should have accepted them. at 34, i said no more... no more self excuses... no more reasoning... seek help... this is not going away on it's own.

ban_ban
01-16-14, 07:47 PM
well... i told myself the same thing from 22 to 34... sure i had a year or two where something took off... visiting ( a good ) psychiatrist was the best thing I ever did. albeit, i did go in with the adhd possibility in hand. before that i was scared that they would pump me up with anti depressants and i knew it wasn't the full story. in hindsight if anti-depressants are what i needed then i should have accepted them. at 34, i said no more... no more self excuses... no more reasoning... seek help... this is not going away on it's own.

No your right, seeing a psychiatrist would save me alot of time if it really is ADHD. Personally in my own opinion i dont really feel/think i fit the diagnosis that well, because everyone always says i doing well and really smart but I lack discipline, is clumsy and 'cant see the woods for the trees'. but when I look back at everything that lead me to where i am now somthing about me just isnt adding up. Im not doing things as well as i thought i could, progress is slow, too slow, i dont understand why I cant do things properly as i should be.

someothertime
01-17-14, 06:29 AM
ban_ban ( is that kinda from the flinstones ;) )....

your free to proceed the best way you feel would clarify your world. floating between extremes in a binary way is another indicator...

at the end of the day, there are three paths forward... all aim to bring a better sense of purpose, presence and satisfaction with living day to day...

-you can use thinking ( approach and understanding ) strategies ( where your heading I believe )
-you can use practical ( behavioural strategies )... habits, application tweaks and tools
-you can use medication and or other physical mechanisms

the key thing is that you apply... for many with ADHD without meds... apply is somewhat distant. if your dealing with other conditions, they can be equally inhibitive...

i wish you well in your quest for clarity and satisfaction :) ( I also hope some other peeps stick their head in here! ) let us know how you progress over time... when things work when things don't ( if your comfortable with that of course :) ) ... things your learn about yourself... writing is a very powerful tool. if your not journalling your feelings, desires and experiences... i highly suggest you begin a small journal describing your journey...