View Full Version : I need meds but am still nursing.

stillnotginger
01-14-14, 08:54 PM
I"ve come to the point where meds might just HELP me in a lot of aspects in my life. I've been on them before -up until college senior year, and then back on them again right after i got married 3 years later.

However here's the problem i'm still breastfeeding. Now, most normal people would say "look, she's almost 18 months, that's a really good run, wean and move on with your life" but ... I can't.

She's got multiple food allergies, her diet is pretty limited and i'm told by her allergist that I have got to nurse her as long as I can. She's still not terribly keen on solids (probably due to her food allergies that we didn't know about making her stomach hurt when we started solids, leading to her associating solid food with pain- but we're getting a lot better with it) Simply put, her diet is NOT balanced enough yet to stop.

Has anyone successfully been able to get meds while nursing? If so, did you day wean, and then just nurse at night with a dose of like, ritalin during the day that has a short half life?

I do not want welbutrin, i've had it before and the side effects were.... nasty to put it mildly.

mrs. dobbs
01-15-14, 05:48 AM
Hi. I am in the sitch as you-- need meds, 18 month old nursing, don't want to stop b/c it is best for her if we keep bfing till at least 2.

Can't tolerate Wellbutrin. Not sure what do do. I never thought of day weaning/only night nursing. Ppl tell me to do the opposite so I can sleep.

sarahsweets
01-15-14, 06:23 AM
I found this on drugs.com:

Amphetamine / dextroamphetamine Pregnancy Warnings

Amphetamines have been assigned to pregnancy category C by the FDA. Animal studies have revealed evidence of embryotoxicity and teratogenicity. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy. There has been one report of a case of severe congenital bony deformity, tracheoesophageal fistula, and anal atresia (vater association) in a baby born to a woman using dextroamphetamine during the first trimester of pregnancy. Amphetamines should only be given during pregnancy when benefits outweigh risks.

Infants born to mothers dependent on amphetamines have an increased risk of premature delivery and low birth weight. These infants may experience symptoms of withdrawal including dysphoria, agitation, weakness, and exhaustion. One study on the affects of methamphetamine abuse on pregnancy outcome reported that body weight, length, and head circumference were significantly decreased in neonates born to mothers who abused methamphetamines during pregnancy. The study also noted that the frequency of congenital anomalies was not significantly increased.

Amphetamine / dextroamphetamine Breastfeeding Warnings

Amphetamine is excreted into human milk. Amphetamine is considered contraindicated during breast-feeding by the manufacturer

And this on health central:

"This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Infants born to mothers dependent on this medication may have birth defects, be born too soon (premature delivery), and have low birth weight. They may also have withdrawal symptoms. Tell your doctor immediately if you notice possible mood changes, agitation, or unusual tiredness in your newborn. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.

This medication passes into breast milk and may have undesirable effects on a nursing infant. Breast-feeding is not recommended while using this drug. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding."

mrs. dobbs
01-15-14, 06:29 AM
^ Yeah actually personally I wouldn't/haven't/don't want to take any psych meds while breastfeeding even those deemed safe. I am more struggling with stopping breastfeeding or not taking meds.

m&m4455
01-15-14, 10:17 AM
As a mom of 3 who breastfed. I think in this situation you need to do what is best for your family. If you wish to continue to nurse then you either have to go without the medication or take a medication that can be harmful to your child. Maybe you can talk to you doctor about going on a low dose. It may take the edge off for you without having too much get into you baby's system. I would hate to be in your situating! Good luck!

ezridax
01-15-14, 12:43 PM
http://www.infantrisk.com/ Infantrisk is a good place to go to for advice on medications and breastfeeding. At least, I've had several breastfeeding friends in the past recommend it, though I've never needed to contact them myself. Good luck!

stillnotginger
01-15-14, 07:42 PM
I've checked it out- I think any of them are not going to be an option. I may just have to be more vigilant about drinking more caffeine. :/

asuwriter
01-21-14, 01:14 AM
Yep, I had to get off meds recently to ttc. You just have to deal with the symptoms for now unless you want to worry about the risks to the baby. It sucks but I have just cut down my work a little (after warning my husband!) and then increased caffeine a little, which I'll probably cut back again once I get pregnant. Just trying to go with the flow until I can take meds again. It's hard, but I'm getting used to living this crazy ADD lifestyle again. :p

chapin875
02-11-14, 11:33 PM
Interesting question, difficult answer. Benefit vs Risk. My ADHD doc is great. We are going to meet next week to discuss this very issue, only I'm at the other end. 6 weeks preggo. I've been on dual med therapy, Strattera and Vyvanse for about 5 months. My ADHD has never been better controlled and I want a better pregnancy this time around. Also, I have a 2 and a half year old who needs me to be on top of my game. It's not just me, or one of us, it's all of us (me, hubster, toddler, and baby #2) who need me to be the best I can be.