View Full Version : Can't identify my emotions

Fraser_0762
01-15-14, 12:19 AM
It's like I "feel" emotions. Many different emotions. But I can't seem to identify what emotion i'm feeling at any point in time.

Like right now for example. I feel something that I know is negative, but I don't know if it's stress, anxiety, worry, sadness, anger.....etc

It's as if my emotions have zero identity.

Nicksgonefishin
01-15-14, 01:35 AM
I posted a list of emotions a while back.

Have you tried meditation?

Also Google emotional intelligence.

Daydreamin22
01-15-14, 01:41 AM
I can't either. Just found out I what anxiety was last year and I'd clearly had it when I was little. I guess I thought it was nerves, or something I deserved and created myself when I'd done something diff than others. I just read how when someone gets hurt feelings they feel shame and guilt, so if the other person doesn't say sorry the hurt person berracades the vulnerable gult/shame with anger and can't let go until the other person apologizes and they feel equal and respected again.

Daydreamin22
01-15-14, 02:15 AM
I don't know if you want to go this route but here's a link. I like the sight.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/emotional-intelligence

BellaVita
01-15-14, 02:29 AM
Yeah, can be difficult.

sarek
01-15-14, 03:01 AM
I have a suspicion that in me, sadness and low mood often masquerade as tiredness.
Or is it the other way around? Or both?

daveddd
01-15-14, 06:05 AM
http://books.google.com/books?id=1wUx7kFB8AwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=emotionally+dumb&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9VzWUq2UCffNsQSc5YLoCQ&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=emotionally%20dumb&f=false

great book, you can read enough of it free too

Corina86
01-15-14, 09:25 AM
As long as I identify them as positive or negative, I'm ok. It's the mixed feelings that kill me.

I have no solution or advice to give you :(

dvdnvwls
01-15-14, 12:07 PM
It's like I "feel" emotions. Many different emotions. But I can't seem to identify what emotion i'm feeling at any point in time.

Like right now for example. I feel something that I know is negative, but I don't know if it's stress, anxiety, worry, sadness, anger.....etc

I think there's more than one way that happens.

You can have emotions you simply don't know the name of yet. Fortunately, you can look them up, using Nick's very recent post.

You can be in a state in which all emotions are blunted or fogged by something like depression or anxiety or fear, and therefore hard to differentiate.

If I feel something that I'd prefer not to feel, I can try to avoid it, but I still know it's there and it won't go away. (and the harder I avoid it, the stronger and more entrenched it becomes.)

I think for some people it feels "foreign" in general to have any emotions. Maybe this is a special "thing", or maybe it's only some combination of the above.

I've probably missed some of the possibilities.

mirandatoritess
01-15-14, 04:42 PM
yeah when I have an emotional outburst, I cannot pinpoint or say how I am feeling. It is bad. However, very few people understand me and know what to do when I have an outburst.

Modafinilguy
01-16-14, 05:49 PM
I don't have Autism spectrum, but I have trouble with my own emotions also. What is causing them?

Emotions can't always be neatly categorized and associated with issues. However often if I really try and explore (ie put lots of effort in) I can isolate something in the back of my brain, such as an awareness, that is triggering the emotion, but not always.

One of my problems, long term, is a tendency to disregard such emotional signals, until a huge buildup or explosive emotional reaction occurs. Then I am like? Why did that happen?

fracturedstory
01-18-14, 09:00 PM
It's called Alexithymia. You struggle to identify your emotions. Psychologists came up with the name for those patents who couldn't explain how they were feeling.

I remember when I experienced it but I worked damn hard to overcome it. It still likes to creep up to me at times.

Oh look, an online test!
http://www.alexithymia.us/test-alex.html

edit: seriously, no one has heard of Alexithymia before?

daveddd
01-18-14, 09:08 PM
It's called Alexithymia. You struggle to identify your emotions. Psychologists came up with the name for those patents who couldn't explain how they were feeling.

I remember when I experienced it but I worked damn hard to overcome it. It still likes to creep up to me at times.

Oh look, an online test!

some have

the link in post 7 is what i consider the best informational book on alexthymia I've ever read

and I've read tons on it

i have it pretty bad

Fraser_0762
01-18-14, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the test link. But for whatever reasons, I have a difficult time accurately filling out tests like these. It's as if I just don't know.

fracturedstory
01-18-14, 09:15 PM
Damn. After doing that test I still appear to have Alexithymia.

Some I stayed undecided on because they had to do with what people thought of me and no one's actually said any those things listed to me.

It all got much easier for me when I realised most of my anger/panic was because some change had happened. I still can't work out why I'm restless. I at least know I'm restless...I think.

daveddd
01-18-14, 09:18 PM
mindfulness is good for it

Fraser_0762
01-18-14, 09:22 PM

Some I stayed undecided on because they had to do with what people thought of me and no one's actually said any those things listed to me.

It all got much easier for me when I realised most of my anger/panic was because some change had happened. I still can't work out why I'm restless. I at least know I'm restless...I think.

It's possible that your focus is locked on your restlessness, prolonging it.

Try distracting yourself from it. Then you may find that it simply fades away without you even thinking about it.

Remember, we are what we think. The minds a powerful thing.

daveddd
01-18-14, 10:03 PM

in relation to alexthymia, in mysel, ive often found restlessness to be an avoidance technique for uncomfortable other emotions

fracturedstory
01-19-14, 03:06 AM
in relation to alexthymia, in mysel, ive often found restlessness to be an avoidance technique for uncomfortable other emotions
Booyah!

fracturedstory
01-19-14, 03:07 AM
It's possible that your focus is locked on your restlessness, prolonging it.

Try distracting yourself from it. Then you may find that it simply fades away without you even thinking about it.

Remember, we are what we think. The minds a powerful thing.
I can be distracted by restlessness from doing an activity that I was doing to distract myself from that restlessness.

Comprehend?

Fraser_0762
01-19-14, 05:30 AM
I can be distracted by restlessness from doing an activity that I was doing to distract myself from that restlessness.

Comprehend?

Yeah, I guess that can happen.

But I think the more you focus on it, the longer it will last.

They'll come a point when you're not even thinking about it, then suddenly you'll be like "oh, its gone".

davesf
03-20-14, 04:18 PM

I have the same problem, though I don't usually "feel" the emotion at all. I just notice the resultant action. For example, I know I cry, but I normally don't "feel" anything when I'm crying. I get fristrated, agitated, or angered in conversation sometimes, but I don't "feel" those things. In fact, my wife starts telling me "you look frustrated" and I say "no, I'm not" because I don't feel anything. This seems either to be Alexithymia, or related to it.

I wasn't aware of this problem until I took Concerta and it super-powered my emotions so I felt them. I started working on mindfulness and ended up on a ride through hypomania. Now I'm being told this is a sign of bipolar-3 so they are reluctant to give me any dopamine booster, including stimulants or even bupropion. I'm currently working on non-medicinal routes to find my emotions again.

FroGpants
03-23-14, 02:29 PM

Wow, I didn't know this was even possible. I'll have to think about this one. I'm glad you brought this up because it sounds like this could really be the case with my bf.

I dunno... I know whenever I'm feeling down I'll run down a list of possibilities or do a quick inventory... am I stressed? am I worried? am I sad about something? Is that the same thing? Do other people automatically know what's going on with them?

FroGpants
03-23-14, 02:44 PM
Oh look, an online test!

haha funny :) I might just click on it :p

I came across it a few years ago when I was trying to figure my mom out. Since then I've realized that she's probably aspergers too.

mildadhd
03-25-14, 09:06 PM
I think this topic came up in the movie "Temple Grandin".

Teenage Temple Grandin's Aunt (I think), takes photos of Teenage Temple Grandin's facial expressions.

Then Teenage Temple Grandin would ask her aunt, the word to describe the different facial expressions, in each photo, then Temple Grandin would write the word described by her aunt, in maker, on the bottom of the photo.

I was wondering:

Was the ability to express verbal word(s) impaired, or, the ability to feel the emotion, impaired?

(Or both, or neither, please excuse my ignorance)

Peripherals

Fraser_0762
03-25-14, 09:31 PM
I can express words and I can feel emotions. I just can't put them together.