View Full Version : A Question .....

salleh
01-15-14, 02:02 AM
.....I have a friend who has recently gone through cancer treatments, and is madly in love with a fellow in England ....and that's a hard relationship to maintain, ....mostly they're just friendes, but she would like so much more .....

....and they only told her that she had stage 3 cancer last month, a year and a half or so after her surgery .....( they told her that she was doing so well that she could come in every 4 months for her check ups, so news on that front is good) ...and then she had to go through a move that was forced on her and her stuff was crammed into boxes and stacked in 2 or 3 places.....and her stuff is very dear to here, just about every piece has some sort of memory attached to it ....and none of those boxes were even labeled ...so she doesn't know where any of that stuff is...( what box, I mean ) ....

......and she says she's not depressed, just unhappy, because of the situations .....and I keep trying to tell her that she should see the pdoc and get some anti-depressants ....that they would help .....

...her contention is that pills won't change the situation, and that because of that ...they won't work .....I say they will .....

...can anyone back me up on that ?? ...I hate to see her suffer when something could help ....

Fuzzy12
01-15-14, 02:13 AM
Just a quick one: ideally the pills make you feel well enough so that you can change your situation.

Nicksgonefishin
01-15-14, 02:22 AM
Is she actively trying to work on her situation? Ie opening boxes and communicating with her crush her feelings?

salleh
01-15-14, 02:39 AM
...Not really....she spends most of her time on facebook and that castle game ...she has friends all over the world, and keeps in touch with them via facebook ....

...and we have to make room in the house before she can tackle the boxes....but small steps are being taken in that department ...but at least they are steps !...that situation is overwhelming....so much stuff.....a long lifetime of collecting...this isn't a hoarder situation, it's a collector situation ...there's a fine line but there is a difference ....

sarahsweets
01-15-14, 06:44 AM
My grandmother died of ovarian cancer. When she went into remission the first time, the doctor told her that sometimes chemo/radiation can actually cause some chemicals to restructure and cause some clinical depression. An antidepressant helped her alot.

Rebelyell
01-15-14, 07:29 AM
My mom died of ovarian cancer,she had stage 4 I think they offered her an anti depressant,I don't remember if she took it or not.Very tumultuous whirlwind time in my life and my heart goes out to anyone w cancer.She should try at least what does she really have to lose?

salleh
01-15-14, 10:52 AM
....Great info Sarah ...and Reb, that's what I keep telling her .....won't hurt her, why not try ???.......I suspect that the dislike of using meds like these are kinda the usual for people of her generation ....

.....2 of my old friends and I got together this summer for lunch a few times .....they both take anti-depressants .....Chris cracked me up ....she said ..."at our age, if you can take a pill to get happy , why the H*** not ???" my sentiments exactly !