View Full Version : Would a stimulant work better?

Grabs39
01-15-14, 06:25 PM
I'm on atomoxetine 60mg, about to be put up to 80mg. It helps. I'm not depressed, I'm not in trouble at work, and I can generally get things done at work. I'm playing hockey a lot better and taking in everything my coach says. And most importantly when someone talks to me, a lot of the time I hear what they say without thinking about the Simpsons and the nutritional benefits of milk.

But. I still can't do my college work (the other day in 8 hours I wrote 150 words, smashed my laptop, cried and threw lots of books across the room). I still drift off when doing things for more than 15 mins at work, especially if they don't really interest me. I get annoyed when my partner rings me, and I blank her a lot. Is till forget to do things and still procrastinate (to do lists help, but not enough). I can't sleep because my brain is trying to work out a million things at once and won't switch off.

Would trying methylphenidate or dexamphetamine help? Would my psychiatrist prescribe them? (I think as I wasn't diagnosed as a child it would be off-label, I know my atomoxetine is off-label). I know there's no such thing as a magic pill that will make it all better, but I wonder if I can find a stronger push in the right direction?

Help!

dvdnvwls
01-15-14, 06:53 PM
Good is good. Bad is bad. Can't work, and drifting off after 15 mins = good? I don't think so.

Unfortunately, procrastination is not fixed by any kind of medication. You may becom better able to fix it with better medication, but it doesn't "get" fixed by any of them.

stivens
01-15-14, 07:30 PM
Tell your Psychiatrist what you just wrote, print it out even, and let him figure it out & let him discuss with you what the best option(s) will be. There may or may not be a reason why you are on Strattera. All of the ADHD meds are designed to help improve focus, not to change behaviors.

S

ps. It's not considered off-label when there is an absense of childhood diagnosis. If your psychiatrist included your history in his decision for ADHD treatment, it would still be an approved usage. Off-label uses, at least for Strattera, include the treatment of Depression, Anxiety or Bipolar Depression .

bymysoul2squeez
01-19-14, 05:41 PM
I tried Straterra and at the beginning it was amazing, I felt great and was able to focus , it killed my appetite and I lost some weight which made my feel even better. When it stopped working we increased the dose to 60mg. 60mg made me feel very nauseous and it didnt stop with time or taking it with food, and then it stopped working again. My doctor took me off of it and started Adderall a week ago and i dont know if I like it, makes me feel weird.. but I know there are other stimulants that can help so Im not giving up.
Good luck to you!