View Full Version : Brand New to ADD please answer some questions !

Yianni1121
01-16-14, 09:21 PM
Hey everyone I'm 16 years old and for about 2 years I've had really bad focus problems. I finally got my mom to bring me to a psychiatrist and she prescribed me 10 mg adderal. today was my first time taking it and I'm honestly not sure how I felt about it. I took it around 8 a.m and I definitely felt a difference in my concentration skills. it's been the first time in a very long time that I was able to read a book page and actually remembered what I had read. I have some questions though:

1 I heard that there is adderall xr and IR after doing some research I found out that XR means it would last longer and Ir is immediate release and my pill bottle doesn't say anything about either so I'm not sure which one I have.I included a picture of my pill bottle and what it says can someone please tell me if its XR or IR.

2. my prescriptions said adderal and My pill bottle says common brand adderall and when I looked up my pill (Blue circle with E 111 on it) it says its a generic what does that mean?

3. Throughout the day even though I did feel more concentrated I felt like I should have been more concentrated and I also feel like the effects wore off rather fast. Does this mean I would need a higher dosage?

I really appreciate any help!!! After looking around on the forum it looks like there's a great community and that I'll be spending a lot more time here!

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j465/manolism/NewMemo_01162014_201017.jpg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/manolism/media/NewMemo_01162014_201017.jpg.html)

psychopathetic
01-16-14, 10:35 PM
It is generic Adderall (MORE INFO HERE (http://www.drugs.com/imprints/e-111-11164.html)) and it is IR.

The difference between IR and XR from what I've gathered, is that with let's just say 10mg of IR the whole 10mg breaks down and enters your blood stream all at once. With 10mg of XR, only 5mg will break down and enter your system immediately, while the other 5mg will break down about 4 hours later and enter your system.

And I say give it a week or two. Let your body get use to the meds a bit, and then see how you're doing with it.
Maybe keep a journal and keep track of your concerns and changes you're noticing on the adderall and take any concerns you have to discuss with your doctor the next time you see them. I've heard it can take a month or two sometimes to get dosing right.

and also...welcome to ADDForums! :D

(((((((HUGS)))))))

fracturedstory
01-16-14, 10:36 PM
Hmm, hard to say. The dosage amount tells me it's XR but the fact the dose wore off you quickly makes me thinks it's IR. The best thing to do is ask your doctor next time you see him.

My money is on IR though. I was on Ritalin IR and the effect (or rather my concentration) wore off quickly.

Edit: In my experience with Ritalin the pills would last for 10 hours and then overtime that time decreased. So I think if you tell your doctor about the pills not lasting that long then he'll increase the dosage.

FlightyBroad
01-16-14, 10:40 PM
I am not an expert, but I think that usually if you get extended release it will say XR. To be sure, contact the doc who prescribed it or the pharmacy that filled it. The fact that you felt it wear off quickly supports this.

I am newly diagnosed too (about a month ago.). I had trouble with mine wearing off in the middle of my work day, so I talked to my doc. He added a second dose at lunch time, and this seems to work better for me.

Generic drugs are usually the same formula as "name brand" drugs, but manufactured by a different company (after the patent on the formula expires.). Many times they are exactly the same, only less expensive. I have, however, read that ADD generic meds can have different effects than the name brand. If you have problems with your generic meds (side effects, Etc) talk to the doc. He might recommend trying name brand or switch to a different medication.
Good luck with your school!

Yianni1121
01-16-14, 11:13 PM
Thank you so much everyone! This really helped!

FocusPocus10
01-17-14, 05:20 PM
Hey everyone I'm 16 years old and for about 2 years I've had really bad focus problems. I finally got my mom to bring me to a psychiatrist and she prescribed me 10 mg adderal. today was my first time taking it and I'm honestly not sure how I felt about it. I took it around 8 a.m and I definitely felt a difference in my concentration skills. it's been the first time in a very long time that I was able to read a book page and actually remembered what I had read. I have some questions though:

1 I heard that there is adderall xr and IR after doing some research I found out that XR means it would last longer and Ir is immediate release and my pill bottle doesn't say anything about either so I'm not sure which one I have.I included a picture of my pill bottle and what it says can someone please tell me if its XR or IR.

2. my prescriptions said adderal and My pill bottle says common brand adderall and when I looked up my pill (Blue circle with E 111 on it) it says its a generic what does that mean?

3. Throughout the day even though I did feel more concentrated I felt like I should have been more concentrated and I also feel like the effects wore off rather fast. Does this mean I would need a higher dosage?

I really appreciate any help!!! After looking around on the forum it looks like there's a great community and that I'll be spending a lot more time here!

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j465/manolism/NewMemo_01162014_201017.jpg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/manolism/media/NewMemo_01162014_201017.jpg.html)

This is IR made by the best generic addy maker in the world (at least that I know of lol) SANDOZ! Enjoy that product son, and be glad you got it from CVS, cuz where I'm from you would've gotten hit with the barr brick addy's, also known as fake speedy garbage that makes your skin itch and your head hurt. So adjust that dosage, but whatever you do, don't stray from sandoz or youll regret it. Be safe, enjoy, and stay focused.