View Full Version : Nicotine Addiction

salleh
01-22-14, 12:56 PM
......I am a nicotine addict, no question about that .....and I smoked a lot, about 2 packs a day, for a good 30 of the 40 years I smoked cigarettes

.....however, I quit smoke regular cigarettes 2 years ago this April.....and have "vaped" e cigarettes since then ....using a moderate to heavy amount of nicotine in my "juice" the e cig liquid.....( 18mg to 24mg , I did stop getting the 36mg stuff)

.....so I no longer ingest or inhale most of what I thought was the worst part of regular smoking....the only thing that I carried over from reg cigs was that nicotine .....

.....It's easy to figure out the benefits of not smoking something literally "on fire", and not inhaling the carcenogens, and tars of reg cigs......

......but I don't know what is bad for you about nicotine, if used in moderation ......many things in this life are not terribly detrimental to you if taken in moderation ....like alcohol, ...in moderation, they now say it is actually good for you .....as a matter of fact, most everything is bad for you in excess........

....So the question is ...how, exactly, is nicotine bad for you ?

addthree
01-22-14, 01:06 PM
Nicotine is a stimulant. It raises blood pressure and increases heart rate.
Take your blood pressure before and after smoking. E cigs appear to be a more healthy alternative to regular smoking. I just worry about the chemicals produced in the vapor.
It is more than water and nicotine.

RachaelAFT
01-30-14, 02:54 PM
addthree pretty much said it for the medical side of the house. The only other front to face are the psychological effects. Are you concerned about why you smoke? Are you concerned about being addicted? Are you concerned about the potentially mild to moderate affects to your medical health? To me, that is what needs to be looked at and if you are fine in those areas with the "status quo" and you have examined your physical health and found it to not be affected... then I believe your own knowledge puts a cap on your concerns.

Jordanna
02-21-14, 02:31 AM
I'd love to read more about others' experiences with nicotine and ADD/ADD meds. I, too, have been "vaping" my nicotine for nearly five years (oh my goodness, the various contraptions I've used - off topic, but hilarious if you were to see my collection). Since starting on Adderall, the same amount of nicotine is consistently giving me headaches. Kicking and screaming, I've given up coffee to give this medication a proper shot. Giving up caffeine and nicotine in one fell swoop is just too much to ask. Anyone else have this experience? My psychiatrist has actually urged me NOT to try to quit while we're still sorting out meds and dosages. I dunno.

sarahsweets
02-21-14, 05:26 AM
I have been slowly replacing cigarettes with the ecig and hope to be completely quite by the time I am 40. I have resigned myself to consider the possiblity that i could be using e-cigs for awhile after I keep regular smokes but its been very hard.

Jordanna
02-21-14, 09:52 AM
Well, I've looked around now, and it's clear this isn't some common experience; but ecigs are different than cigarettes in a lot of ways. No vaping headaches once the Adderall has faded away, so, for me, there's a link. Oh, well.

sarahsweets, if you're having a rough transition off of cigarettes ("analogs", using the lingo), you might check out using a bit of WTA liquid. Just a little can really help. If you ever have any ecig questions, feel free to PM me - I know an embarrassing amount about all this.