View Full Version : Learning disability/academic progress

addthree
01-22-14, 01:18 PM
If teachers had a different style of teaching do you think you could have done better in school? I was thinking that maybe its not learning disabilities that hinder our academic progress, but teachers with teaching disabilities.
Teachers only teach one way and this only helpful for about 1/2 of the students.

Stevuke79
01-22-14, 01:34 PM
I think there are definite limitations to traditional lecture/instruction/homework that cause certain disabilities to be pronounced while deemphasizing some pretty important skills. If you dot fit an arbitrary mold then your screwed.

It's not something I know much about but my understanding is that the traditional classroom is on the way out, particularly in more cutting edge private schools. Unfortunately public education is resistant to change. But in other countries public education has made lots of changes and has improve by leaps and bounds. (I'm thinking of Finland in particular)

IMO, better methods will heighten the academic bell-curve to the benefit of learning disabled children, but ADHD and other disabilities, are still disabilities. :)

addthree
01-22-14, 01:55 PM
The traditional classroom is dreadful. I did far better in college because its less traditional compared to high school class rooms. Large breaks between classes really helped me.

someothertime
01-22-14, 02:57 PM
Yes. Teachers are facilitators though... the true "mode" aka delivery comes from history... the system... constraints...

All I know is when I went to an 'adult college"... I dunno what you call it in the states... after high school but not university... industry focussed courses...... the teaching methods changed... almost everything had a practical component...

Snippets were approached each day...

Chalk and cheese ;) So, chunking and tying things back to reality made a big diff for me... I guess the fact that I was studying something of interest was probably a factor.... tho' i've done other courses in that topic area that are delivered totally theoretically and abstract and it's almost like high school...

There are two or three teachers from primary and high school though that had a laid back, non-routine kinda style... they used colors or prac examples... come to think of it... apart from homework... I think I actually did well those years! There's the ol' extremes again! Mr Binary... hehehe do or don't :rolleyes:

These days with all the net focussed content... i'm sorry but I have grave fears for youngsters... takes alot of skill to factor in, pacing, feedback etc.... onto that mode of learning... I'm very concerned alot of lil'uns are gonna slip through the cracks... and rely on "patterns" over "strain" ( good strain )...

Stevuke79
01-22-14, 02:59 PM
The traditional classroom is dreadful. I did far better in college because its less traditional compared to high school class rooms. Large breaks between classes really helped me.

Well, at least I can say that I did poorly in college for entirely differs reasons than in HS. :) not as impactful as your story.

sarahsweets
01-23-14, 07:26 AM
learing difficulties and as*hole teachers molded me.

serdis90
01-23-14, 07:35 PM
I think to some extent they could have. I think if the instruction had been simpler and more clear in lessons where you're weak, it would have been better off course. I think my maths teachers were definitely not equipped to teach peoples with maths problems.

Adduce
01-27-14, 11:29 AM
Some interesting and relevant points made in this students personal documentary regarding learning differences.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JMroyfJtO4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JMroyfJtO4)

addthree
01-27-14, 11:38 AM
I think to some extent they could have. I think if the instruction had been simpler and more clear in lessons where you're weak, it would have been better off course. I think my maths teachers were definitely not equipped to teach peoples with maths problems.

Of course not. Math teachers are people who are naturally good at math and they can not understand your problem. The worst ones copy direct examples out of the text book onto the chalk board. This kind of laziness is why US school are falling behind.