View Full Version : Can there be a difference from basically the same thing? (IR 10mg v. 20mg pill)

hattz19
01-22-14, 08:42 PM
Hi all,

Last week I go back on Adderall IR after taking a one-month break due to negative effects last academic quarter. I’m in my second year of college and still did well and pulled a 3.8 GPA, but that was actually my lowest at this school that’s lower than I would’ve liked. It actually dropped my cumulative from a 3.96 to a 3.91…

The reason I took the break was because of extreme anxiety and other debilitating negative side effects from the Adderall. It was winter break anyway, so outside of some excess sleeping there wasn’t a major issue recovering.

I worked with my therapist over break and after talking things through we decided to go ahead with Prozac to combat the anxiety. However, when classes began I noticed I couldn’t do anything or focus without being medicated. Plus, the only negative side effect of the Prozac was really bad fatigue, which the Adderall combated. I was prescribed 10mg Adderall IR, I believe generic (blue pills with lower case “b” on them) and told to titrate up because of the break (5mg for two days, 10mg for two days, 15mg for two days) and over the past two days I tried 20mg which my therapist recommended and doctor approved of today.

I ran out of the 10mg and saw my doc this morning, but he actually prescribed a 20mg pill since my dose increased. So I went to the pharmacy, got the Rx filled and noticed the different color, thinking nothing of it. I took my dose, which is now 2-3 20mg/day. The difference, at least to me, was pretty evident. With two 10mg I was more alert, focused, fatigue was really reduced, and at least able to focus. On the negative side my appetite was shot and I went through my bottle quicker (I believe I understood correctly that my insurance can only prescribe a 30-day supply at a time regardless of dose.) W

ith the 20mg orange IR, I’m not any less fatigued, am distracted easier, have a drier mouth, and have less of the focus that I had on the 10mg. Good thing is my appetite is back, but if anything that’s a sign to me that the med isn’t working properly. I got 8 hours of sleep last night and normally do, but even on Sunday night when I got four, I woke up at 11 AM, popped two blue IR’s, spoke to my therapist on the cell (am out-of-state for school), and couldn’t go back to sleep, I was too awake, alert, etc. The day before I got out of bed did the same thing and read an article in my Saturday WSJ.

I’m not a chemist, but if anyone gets my Breaking Bad reference when QC makes mistakes… things usually don’t end well. Is there really that much of a difference or is this mental? It’s better than nothing, definitely, but not where it was. I don’t want to see my doctor and getting a different dose for the same thing I don’t think is possible, even though I’ll willingly give the 20mg oranges in exchange. Will try again tomorrow and hope for better results…

hattz19
01-23-14, 09:11 PM
Yesterday I saw my doctor and he approved of me continuing to take a dose of 20mg IR. Instead of prescribing 10mg pills, he prescribed 20 since they can be split easily as necessary.

Before then for a few days I was instead doubling up on the 10mg's, and felt definitely better.

For some reason, the 20mg IR pill (same thing as the 10mg but orange and a 20mg imprint) didn't seem to do as well of a job.

Is this mental or can there actually be drastic quality control variations between basically the same med?

ADHDisWeewoowee
01-23-14, 09:18 PM
Adderall is a fickle medication. Your experience could be a result of naturally occurring tolerance, diet, sleep...etc. The best thing I've found is to pay attention to the metaphysical aspect of things. I've learned a lot about myself as a person since starting on Adderall...physically, psychologically, emotionally, etc...

liveandletdie
01-23-14, 11:05 PM
I actually got my money back without returning the prescription (after a week) by calling my customer service for my insurance and got a new prescription with a different brand formation the next day after recognizing the reason I was having side effects.

Brands can make a big difference especially in IR because there is more filler in there than with the time released formulations

hattz19
01-24-14, 07:30 PM
Adderall is a fickle medication. Your experience could be a result of naturally occurring tolerance, diet, sleep...etc. The best thing I've found is to pay attention to the metaphysical aspect of things. I've learned a lot about myself as a person since starting on Adderall...physically, psychologically, emotionally, etc...

I couldn't agree more, it's definitely been a journey but I've psychologically and emotionally been much more introspective. I guess that began after my expectations of treatment and the reality were so much different.

I just checked the bottle, the only difference is that the 10mg is "oval blue" and the 20mg is "oval peach." Both are manufactured by Teva and generic. Plus I figured that one 20mg pill is the same as two 10mg's.

hattz19
01-24-14, 10:50 PM
I actually got my money back without returning the prescription (after a week) by calling my customer service for my insurance and got a new prescription with a different brand formation the next day after recognizing the reason I was having side effects.

Brands can make a big difference especially in IR because there is more filler in there than with the time released formulations

They are actually the same thing, both IR. Same brand, Teva (generic), same shape, etc. The difference is the color (20mg is peach, 10mg is blue) and the fact that it would seemingly take two 10mg to get the effect of one 20mg, which is why my doctor prescribed the 20's. Saves the hassle of writing a new script and I can split them easily to lower dosage.

liveandletdie
01-25-14, 05:49 AM
strange...but even in the same brand they might use different dyes =/ i dunno...

hattz19
01-26-14, 11:51 PM
strange...but even in the same brand they might use different dyes =/ i dunno...

I actually realized that my sleep possibly had interactions, ~6 hours when I was prescribed vs. a good 8 for the past two days. No noticeable differences now. Thanks a lot... but I figure there could be discrepancies still.