View Full Version : I am afraid to take my eye medication.

mrs. dobbs
01-23-14, 03:18 AM
I have a fear of medications due to derealization disorder, panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder.

I have to take medication for ocular hypertension (high pressure in my eyeballs) so I don't get optic nerve damage and lose my vision.

I was just prescribed pilocarpine drops and am panicky about side effects. I want to go back to the doc to make sure my eye pressure really is high or was it a mistake. That is how anxious I feel. I am paranoid about breastfeeding my daughter while taking this med. I don't want blurrier vision or dizziness (already plenty of that with tinnitus and derealization) or asthma attacks or an allergic reaction or to feel weird.

I also don't want to go blind.

Can anyone help calm me down about taking these pilocarpine drops?

Fuzzy12
01-23-14, 05:42 AM
I have a fear of medications due to derealization disorder, panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder.

I have to take medication for ocular hypertension (high pressure in my eyeballs) so I don't get optic nerve damage and lose my vision.

I was just prescribed pilocarpine drops and am panicky about side effects. I want to go back to the doc to make sure my eye pressure really is high or was it a mistake. That is how anxious I feel. I am paranoid about breastfeeding my daughter while taking this med. I don't want blurrier vision or dizziness (already plenty of that with tinnitus and derealization) or asthma attacks or an allergic reaction or to feel weird.

I also don't want to go blind.

Can anyone help calm me down about taking these pilocarpine drops?

I keep rewriting my reply. I've got nothing helpful to say. Not because I think you should be concerned but just because my mind has gone a bit blank. Huge hugs. Hope it all goes well and you won't get any nasty side effects. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Amtram
01-23-14, 10:37 AM
Take the drops. Glaucoma runs in my family, and I've seen enough people take them without experiencing negative side effects that I myself am not worried - 6 months down the road, I'm probably going to have to start using them myself. Beats going blind by a long shot.