View Full Version : What insurance would cover desoxyn?

themachinex3
01-23-14, 02:34 AM
I plan to get a prescription for desoxyn for focus and alertness that I need. What insurance company would cover it? How can I tell my doctor I dont want adderall and it has to be desoxyn? I heart doctors dont prescribe it a lot. Why is that?

namazu
01-23-14, 03:56 AM
Few insurance companies cover Desoxyn without extensive evidence of medical necessity, and even then, many don't.

I think the bigger issue is that, as you noted, many doctors don't like to prescribe it because of both the potential for abuse/diversion/resale and because of the scrutiny it tends to attract from the DEA.

Thus, you are highly unlikely to get a Desoxyn prescription just by walking into a doctor's office and asking for it. There are no magic words that will land you a Desoxyn prescription just like that.

I don't know how you would explain that "it has to be Desoxyn" and Adderall won't do -- especially if you do not have a clear history of medical treatment for ADHD (or narcolepsy, if Desoxyn is approved for that) showing that you have tried other stimulant and nonstimulant medications without sufficient effect or with intolerable side effects that somehow Desoxyn doesn't cause like all the other medications.

More to the point, may I ask why you feel Desoxyn is the drug for you? What kind of focus/alertness are you looking for? What other medications and/or non-medical strategies have you tried to improve your focus/alertness and other ADHD symptoms?

psychological1
01-23-14, 04:49 AM
Ha. Good luck with your "plan." For this to sound even a little bit reasonable, I'm assuming you have tried literally every single alternative treatment? Because even for those who have tried EVERY other option, getting a Desoxyn prescription is incredibly unlikely. And you mention that you need Desoxyn for "focus and alertness," and I dont know your condition, but your attention and alertness must be incredibly crippling to your life (which it very well may be, I don't know).

Regardless, don't get your hopes up of getting a Desoxyn prescription. Doctors are more likely to prescribe higher doses of Adderall or other amphetamines before they even touch methamphetamine. And still most of them won't. I hope you find whatever works!

themachinex3
01-25-14, 11:42 PM
Few insurance companies cover Desoxyn without extensive evidence of medical necessity, and even then, many don't.

I think the bigger issue is that, as you noted, many doctors don't like to prescribe it because of both the potential for abuse/diversion/resale and because of the scrutiny it tends to attract from the DEA.

Thus, you are highly unlikely to get a Desoxyn prescription just by walking into a doctor's office and asking for it. There are no magic words that will land you a Desoxyn prescription just like that.

I don't know how you would explain that "it has to be Desoxyn" and Adderall won't do -- especially if you do not have a clear history of medical treatment for ADHD (or narcolepsy, if Desoxyn is approved for that) showing that you have tried other stimulant and nonstimulant medications without sufficient effect or with intolerable side effects that somehow Desoxyn doesn't cause like all the other medications.

More to the point, may I ask why you feel Desoxyn is the drug for you? What kind of focus/alertness are you looking for? What other medications and/or non-medical strategies have you tried to improve your focus/alertness and other ADHD symptoms?

Ok this will be hard to explain but here goes nothing. I feel like desoxyn is right for me because the focus and alertness feels so natural to the point that I dont even feel anything. I feel like a natural man who takes initiative and able to do things the right way without question. Adderall doesnt feel natural at all. Yes it makes me focused but it doesnt feel natural. It feels as if "ok im on adderall im focused great" and then after a few hours it turns to huge side effects whereas desoxyn has no side effects and no abuse potential for me. I can explain other things there are so many reasons why I think desoxyn should be the only med for adhd and not adderall and ritalin.

namazu
01-26-14, 02:53 AM
Medication is one of those things for which people's mileage varies considerably.

What helps you may be intolerable to someone else, and vice-versa. I think the range of ADHD medications is here to stay.

Based on what you've said, I assume you've tried these medications without a prescription, yes?

The first thing to do is to see a reputable doctor and get a thorough evaluation. Many conditions can cause poor focus and concentration -- anxiety, depression, thryoid issues, and many others -- and though stimulants may be helpful, they may not be the best thing for what ails you.

If you do have ADHD and decide to treat it with medication, you may mention to your doctor that you have tried some ADHD medications in the past and didn't like the way Adderall felt. Then the doctor may offer other options that may work better. I don't know if you've tried some of the other formulations of dextroamphetamine (like Dexedrine or Vyvanse) or methylphenidate, or some of the non-stimulants, but the doctor will likely want to start there.

In general, I would suggest being open about your experimentation with your doctor, since it's a part of your history. But be advised that some doctors (especially those who don't deal with a lot of adult ADHD) may be wary about prescribing you medications without clear assurance that you are using them only for therapeutic benefit.

So, in short: start with a good evaluation by an experienced practitioner, and then consider medication options and insurance coverage.

themachinex3
01-26-14, 03:16 AM
I really dont know what else to say then. seems to me that ther just trying to make money. adderall makes me feel high and it has a come down. it doesnt feel natural at all. once u start coming down ur forced to take another dose to keep it going. desoxyn has no come down, you dont feel high at all, everything about it is natural. adderall is like "it gives me the motivation and desire i need" then desoxyn is like "what motivation and desire? you were supposed to be motivated and have desire to begin with anyway." see what i mean? desoxyn feels natural. adderall gives me anxiety it makes my heart race. i can feel it kicking in. i dont like that feeling..... with desoxyn i dont even feel anything. i can sleep on it as well and eat. i can say so many more things but its hard to remember them all. all im going to say is, adderall and methylphenidate are not for me. it has to be methamphetamine. cant believe these street thugs gave it such a bad name. im not blaming all of em but most of em

someothertime
01-26-14, 05:01 AM
Moderator note:

Comments regarding inappropriate acquisition of medications are not permitted. It is in the interests of members to have the support of a suitably qualified prescriber and liaise with them to ensure appropriate and safe treatment.

Guideline (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15842) excerpt;
NO posts involving O.D.s, illegal or improper use of Medication are allowed

In an effort to protect all who use these forums, no posts will be allowed that encourage or support the illegal or improper use of medication of any kind. We do not condone illegal or improper use and do not wish to be a source of information for people who would use medication this way.

themachinex3
01-27-14, 03:00 AM
Ok I finally found the perfect explanation to why I need desoxyn and not adderall or anything else. Adderall only gives me focus and alertness, and i need more than that.

Lets say i was working at a grocery store and i was on adderall, ur the manager and u told me to mop the floor. i will be so focused at mopping the floor that if a customer comes in i will prolly not realize it. its not just about the being too focused. adderall doesnt give u the ability to see the bigger picture. yes it gives u focus and alertness but u still need to be told what to do and be managed. if i was on desoxyn on the otherhand, u wouldnt need to tell me to mop the floor i will just know right away "ok the floor is dirty i should mop it" and if a customer comes in i will stop what im doing and help them.

see how i can see the bigger picture? its not just about focus and alertness its about being a man. i can actually take initiative and do things without being told. if i was on adderall id be focused in playing video games more than if i wasnt. but if i was on desoxyn i wouldnt even be playing video games id be more focused on getting better at my job and my priorities. desoxyn makes me a man, adderall doesnt. Get it now?

sarahsweets
01-27-14, 05:24 AM
I know you say that you wouldnt abuse desoyxn but you have already taken medications without a prescription and made your mind up what you have and what you need. What doctor is going to just whip out his rx pad for that?

themachinex3
02-11-14, 01:49 AM
yea but im using it cuz i need it. not like im partying with it or abusing it

themachinex3
02-11-14, 01:50 AM
wont hurt to try to get a script for it anyway would it?

psychological1
02-11-14, 04:02 AM
You can be labeled a drug-seeker on your medical records. These are transferred from doctor to doctor if you were to switch, so yes, it can "hurt."

Step 1 is to be tested and successfully diagnosed by a licensed psychologist/psychiatrist. Then worry about the possibility for medication.

Killface1981
05-27-15, 09:04 AM
If you ever tell a psych that you feel that you have to be on desoxyn, he'll most likely believe you're drug seeking and are a tweeker. For a psych to give you that script, he's going to be watched more, and he has to fill out tons of crap for the one or two(if any)insurance companies say they'll cover it if it's necessary.

Xyrem is easier to get for severe insomnia(and my insurance company covers that drug.) I don't get it, but have asked him about it jokingly printing out a narcolepsy quiz from a site promoting Xyrem. He just upped the Klonopin or whatever I was on and gave me Temazepam which was garbage for me. Even Lunesta is better to me. Cocaine fueled many businessmen in the 80's to get richer and be wannabe Gordon Geckos, but no psych would give you that.

Ask for Dexedrine if you want a better stimulant that's cleaner, and isn't Adderall. Only your pharmacist or a new one might look at you like you're a junkie and tell you that they don't carry it, and ask me why I didn't get adderall or ritalin or the stuff they are used to. Drugs don't make you a man or play video games. They help, but end up being a crutch if you can't stop playing video games without pharmaceutical crank.

sarahsweets
05-27-15, 12:04 PM
Thankfully this is an old thread. I think the OP tweaked off elsewhere.

If you ever tell a psych that you feel that you have to be on desoxyn, he'll most likely believe you're drug seeking and are a tweeker. For a psych to give you that script, he's going to be watched more, and he has to fill out tons of crap for the one or two(if any)insurance companies say they'll cover it if it's necessary.

Xyrem is easier to get for severe insomnia(and my insurance company covers that drug.) I don't get it, but have asked him about it jokingly printing out a narcolepsy quiz from a site promoting Xyrem. He just upped the Klonopin or whatever I was on and gave me Temazepam which was garbage for me. Even Lunesta is better to me. Cocaine fueled many businessmen in the 80's to get richer and be wannabe Gordon Geckos, but no psych would give you that.

Ask for Dexedrine if you want a better stimulant that's cleaner, and isn't Adderall. Only your pharmacist or a new one might look at you like you're a junkie and tell you that they don't carry it, and ask me why I didn't get adderall or ritalin or the stuff they are used to. Drugs don't make you a man or play video games. They help, but end up being a crutch if you can't stop playing video games without pharmaceutical crank.