View Full Version : Alternatives to xanax?

max1mus
01-24-14, 12:52 AM
I was prescribed xanax about 2.5 years a go and it worked well when I took it as needed, usually before a speech or presentation to the class. After a couple months of taking it; I began to take it with alcohol to help me sleep and doses started to increase. This became a regular habit every night and I decided enough was enough and quit. Its been almost 1.5 years now since I've taken any. My social anxiety seem to be worse now. The thought of saying hi to the professors causes my heart to race and my brain will form all kinds of thoughts. I can barely open my mouth to say hello Dr.____. The thought of knowing that I have to speak in class causes the same effects and I begin to stutter or not being able to say words fluently such "medication." I get stuck at the "mmmmm" part and it often feels like an eternity to pronounce the entire word.

Should I go back to taking xanax on an as needed bases or is there an alternative that is better for my needs?

janiew
01-24-14, 02:28 AM
There are alternatives. Depending on your presenting issue(s)...

Trazodone for sleep and anti-anxiety -not a benzo... Works well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVMMQuvxy30

max1mus
01-24-14, 02:35 AM
I forgot to mention that I'm currently taking Adderall XR 30 mg QAM. My current issues are due to social anxiety (increase heart rate, difficulties pronouncing words, essential tremors).

clydethompson
02-11-14, 12:21 PM
beta blockers are great for the increased heart rate/ anxiety bit. sounds like you developed somewhat of a speech dependency related to the drug, propanalol (beta blocker) isnt a benzo and is commonly taken before major speeches. I take it to help with panic attacks which is basically the same thing. If a beta blocker doesnt do the trick completely I'd advise klonopin- its less addictive and about as quick in my opinion. I've been on the lot.
Hope this helps!

Laserbeak
02-11-14, 09:38 PM
I'd recommend Librium or Valium. A beta blocker would be good if you could get by with that (I take both). Xanax can be very addictive, and those other benzodiazepines are much better.

sarahsweets
02-12-14, 04:54 AM
it sounds like you were on the path to developing an addiction because you abused it. You would have to really evaluate if you would be able to take it as prescribed before going back on it.

Raye
02-14-14, 08:23 AM
I agree with sarah. It kinda does sound like you MAY have been on a path of mis use.

as a huge former xanax abuser myself, as increasing my dosage is what started the abuse.

Non benzo alternatives for anxiety I heard are buspirone (buspar) and vistaril. I'm sure there are others, I would talk with your doc about the situation.

P.S... what is QAM?

clydethompson
02-24-14, 01:21 AM
Im actually doing the beta blocker/valium combo too and it works well. I was becoming dependent on my meds at one point (while back, Im good nao just suffering from akathesia so its rather tempting to stop chemical torture but i can still limit myself) but i think if its monitored by a doc to any degree aka dont fill a 90 script 4 weeks early it should be ok. Im against the other anxiolotic drug class (buspar and the like) they give me way to many side effects. like it impaired my memory more than xanax and blurred my vision to name the most dominant.

Heba213
09-30-14, 09:15 AM
Klonopin works for me absolutely no "high" my opinion