View Full Version : Omega-3 Article On Aging Brain

Bumr50
01-24-14, 09:41 AM
I've been advised by several professionals that Omega-3's are helpful for treatment of ADHD and improving cognitive function.

It seems the verdict is still out, but I'm taking 3000mg a day (1000mg 3x daily).

Anyhow, in case anyone else was experimenting with this supplement, I ran across this piece this morning and thought I'd pass it along.

Omega-3 Fatty Acids Might
Protect The Aging Brain (http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2014/01/22/could-fish-oil-protect-the-aging-brain/)

by Alice G. Walton, Contributor, Forbes

"I cover health, medicine, psychology, and neuroscience"

Adding to our diets more of the omega-3 fatty acids in fatty fish (or fish oil
supplements) has been controversial in recent years, but a new study adds
some interesting neurological evidence to their effectiveness. Cognitive
decline is a too-common side effect of aging, and Alzheimer’s disease is
unnervingly prevalent. So it’s nice to feel like we’re doing something to reduce
the odds. Eating fatty fish regularly might be one way to this, and so might
taking fish oil supplements – but it depends on the kind.

A team at the University of South Dakota looked at 1,100 postmenopausal
women who’d taken part in the Women’s Health Initiative Memory
Study. The levels of the fatty acids DHA and EPA, found in fatty fish, were
measured in their red blood cells, and the volume in different areas of their
brains, as well as total brain volume, were measured via MRI at the end of the
eight-year study

It turned out that women who had the highest levels of the fatty acids in their red blood cells had greater overall brain volume than women with the lowest.

They also had greater volume in the hippocampus – about 2.7% greater –
than women with the lowest levels. The hippocampus is the brain area that’s
thought to be the seat of learning and memory, and the one most affected by
Alzheimer’s disease.

What are these fats doing in the brain? “It’s likely that fish oil doesn’t increase
brain volume, but prevents brain shrinkage with age,” study author James
Pottala tells me. “This could be due to several mechanisms. The brain
metabolizes DHA into several anti-inflammatory compounds that could help
prevent cell death. Also, DHA is concentrated in nerve cell membranes, so if a
sufficient amount is not available in the blood for replenishment then it
makes sense that the amount of brain matter would decline over time.”

He adds that consuming higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids could be the
equivalent to two extra years of brain health. For people who don’t consume
much fish, supplements might be necessary. This is because the body is very
poor at converting the omega-3s found in plant sources (namely ALA) to the
heart- and brain-healthy DHA and EPA. Therefore, says Pottala says,
“most organizations recommend that all adults should eat non-fried ‘oily’ fish
(e.g. salmon, herring, tuna, sardines, etc.) at least twice a week,” or taking
high-quality fish oil supplements.

Unfortunately, not all supplements are created equal, as another study has
just reported (see below for a nice graphic of the top 10 brands in both quality
and value). On average, supplements contained about 14% less DHA than
indicated on the label, but there was huge variation across brands. The
highest quality supplements were Dr. Tobias, Nordic Naturals, and Axis Labs.
The best value supplements were Nature Made, Axis Labs, and NOW Foods.

While there’s no failsafe way to protect the brain against disease, eating a
healthy diet full of antioxidants and essential nutrients, is one way to help
reduce the risk. Always talk to your doctor about adding supplements to your
diet.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2014/01/22/could-fish-oil-protect-the-aging-brain/

Lunacie
01-24-14, 11:39 AM
There are a few of us here on this forum who find Omega 3 helpful in treating our ADHD.

There have been a few studies done, some for the combination of fish oil and evening primrose oil.

I began by taking a supplement with both of those and others, but it was too expensive to continue.

So for the last several years I've taken just fish oil and don't plan to ever stop.

sdfkg334F
01-27-14, 02:02 PM
There are a few of us here on this forum who find Omega 3 helpful in treating our ADHD.

There have been a few studies done, some for the combination of fish oil and evening primrose oil.

I began by taking a supplement with both of those and others, but it was too expensive to continue.

So for the last several years I've taken just fish oil and don't plan to ever stop.

what effects does fish oil have on your situation? could you please explain? I'm very interested in this.

Lunacie
01-27-14, 02:46 PM
Over a decade ago I began taking a supplement from Avon for hormonal balance.

It contained fish oil and evening primrose oil and other things.

I soon noticed that I could finish writing a post without stopping to figure out what I had been

planning to write or going to the dictionary to find the word I had just forgotten.

It was great.

But I couldn't afford to keep buying that supplement so I went online and found

some studies that had been done on fish oil and evening primrose oil in treating ADHD.

And I went to Walmart and bought some plain old fish oil and the focus was still there.

I've tried expensive brands of fish oil and krill oil and the cheaper brands work just as well or better for me.

someothertime
01-27-14, 02:51 PM
My dad got recommended calamari oil? ~stronger~ ( i might have to check ) but his doc said he had to take 1 fish oil with it to "activeate" it or something....

EDIT: found this;

http://health365.com.au/articles/joint-health/calamari-oil-vs-krill-oil

The two products are good for different conditions, and to say outright that krill oil is superior or inferior to calamari oil does not do either justice. What we do know is that both are very good at doing 2 very different things. Calamari Oil is much higher in omega-3 DHA than krill oil. DHA (docosahexanoic acid) is a specific type of omega-3 with strong evidence supporting it’s critical importance for brain function, for eye function and for heart health. So, if you are concerned with maintaing (or improving, if your DHA levels are already low) your brain function, learning capacity, memory, heart health or vision, we recommend a high strength Calamari Oil

northcali
01-29-14, 02:00 PM
I could hardly deal with my sons mood swings and outbursts anymore. I was one frustrated momma and sometimes still am. But my son has improved allot.

I finally consulted a Nutritionist. Changed our diet to a more healthy balance of fresh fruits veges and whole grains.

And our Nutritionist put him on a supplement that is supposed to help with brain function called Klamath Green Algae. It’s high in Omegas and B12 and a bunch of other stuff. I recommend anyone with ADHD or with a child with ADHD to ask their doctor if supplements might help.

It has helped him and my peace so much.

sdfkg334F
01-31-14, 12:19 PM
Over a decade ago I began taking a supplement from Avon for hormonal balance.

It contained fish oil and evening primrose oil and other things.

I soon noticed that I could finish writing a post without stopping to figure out what I had been

planning to write or going to the dictionary to find the word I had just forgotten.

It was great.

But I couldn't afford to keep buying that supplement so I went online and found

some studies that had been done on fish oil and evening primrose oil in treating ADHD.

And I went to Walmart and bought some plain old fish oil and the focus was still there.

I've tried expensive brands of fish oil and krill oil and the cheaper brands work just as well or better for me.

What happens if you stop taking it? Your focus goes down?

Fuzzy12
01-31-14, 01:16 PM
I try to take omega 3 supplements whenever I remember. I used to take them fairly regularly but I haven't noticed any effect. I take the NOW brand (it's called 'NOW Ultra-Omega', I think), which has, if I remember right, 750mg of DHA and EPA combined. I just looked it up. It's 500mg of EPA and 250mg of DHA. :scratch:

Lunacie
01-31-14, 03:42 PM
What happens if you stop taking it? Your focus goes down?

Yes, very noticeably.

I find myself getting lost ... lost in my thoughts, lost in driving, losing the word I was going to say or type.