View Full Version : Pain in Stomach ***Please Help***

BellaVita
01-24-14, 10:34 AM
Hey - questions please if bipolar I'd like input (or even if not)

I've been weird lately last 2-3 weeks (unsure) anyway

It has been weird Lexapro and Trazodone seem to be exasperating my symptoms

Anyway,

Question: Sometimes I get this pain in my abdominal region(stomach) and it's often associated with deep depressive feelings and irritability and anxiety.

Sometimes one thing not the other.

Also a few times I have felt truly euphoric during last few weeks and I miss it

Anyone else ever get this pain?

It's crippling and especially with depression(with energy/restless) it's the worst and I can't handle the pain it makes me not want to be awake or alive at times (it's almost constant - but like I said *sometimes* euphoric/just irritable not deep depression so weird.....)

***I am not actively suicidal or anything.***

Amtram
01-24-14, 10:42 AM
It may be a stress reaction. Stomach upset, especially when not accompanied by vomiting, is often caused by anxiety.

BellaVita
01-24-14, 10:44 AM
It may be a stress reaction. Stomach upset, especially when not accompanied by vomiting, is often caused by anxiety.

But what about when it's not anxiety but depression?

That's the main times I feel it

Or maybe I'm always anxious but every other thing is over powering??

It sometimes just deeply aches "feels" like depression

Fuzzy12
01-24-14, 11:31 AM
I get stomach with anxiety as well. Maybe it happens when you are depressed too, I also get a weird sensation when I'm excited.. maybe it s sensitive to all strong emotions.

I's it like stitches in your sides? Like when you don't exhale sufficiently?

It could be something physical as well though.

The last thing I want when I'm miserable is to feel ill on top of that. Every ache besides a lot more difficult to deal with. Hope w you feel better soon. In every way

Lunacie
01-24-14, 11:33 AM
This reminds me of when I had a stomach ulcer - anxiety seemed to make it worse.

Does the pain come and go or is it fairly constant?

sarek
01-24-14, 11:40 AM
Anxiety, even if not at first recognised as such, very often expresses itself through pain in the abdominal region. The place is filled with nerve endings.

I dont often feel "acute" anxiety as such but its always latent and repressed and I have a long history of things "happening" down there.

TygerSan
01-24-14, 12:55 PM
I would also consider the idea of this being a physical reaction to all the recent changes in your life.

Whenever I've moved, I've had stomach issues. Reaction to change, I think (I don't do well with unexpected change especially). All the stress beforehand probably doesn't help, either. In fact, often times I have a delayed reaction, after the acute stress is over.

Only recently have I really considered that the reaction might be anxiety.

Abi
01-24-14, 01:41 PM
IT could very well be a symptom of severe depression.

I know of one other person who experienced physical pain in the stomach during severe depressive episodes, and they were also bipolar.

BellaVita
01-24-14, 01:49 PM

I know of one other person who experienced physical pain in the stomach during severe depressive episodes, and they were also bipolar.

What do I do about depressive episodes?

But I thought those are like yours? Lacking energy?

I am symptomatic of the hypomania or maybe dysphoric end .......

I say hypo cuz felt really good some times

But this is all switching so fast and weird over past few weeks.

BellaVita
01-24-14, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys yeah could be anxiety too I have been taking my Clonazepam hasn't touched it hardly

BellaVita
01-24-14, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure if this is one entire episode or not

dvdnvwls
01-24-14, 02:19 PM
But this is all switching so fast and weird over past few weeks.
I think "fast and weird" is probably not an unfair description of EVERYTHING the past few weeks. :(

Whatever parts of you don't hurt, that's what's strange, considering the circumstances. :)

I'm another voice saying the non-vomiting uncomfortable stomach is most commonly anxiety and anxiety would be totally expected so that's probably it.

BellaVita
01-24-14, 02:42 PM
I think "fast and weird" is probably not an unfair description of EVERYTHING the past few weeks. :(

Whatever parts of you don't hurt, that's what's strange, considering the circumstances. :)

I'm another voice saying the non-vomiting uncomfortable stomach is most commonly anxiety and anxiety would be totally expected so that's probably it.

Thanks Canadian Dad. :)

I think though, it might also be depression mainly and anxiety but also....gastritis (but seriously agree with Abi)

I forgot about that

Yeah everything is so weird lately

BellaVita
01-24-14, 02:42 PM
Also thanks for other responses read and will read again

:)

It means a lot.

dvdnvwls
01-24-14, 03:16 PM
... and even "good weird" is stressful. We all know that "bad weird" is obviously stressful, but we might think "good weird" was exempt. It isn't.

peripatetic
01-24-14, 03:33 PM

i prolly know the person abi's referencing here and, if so, though he's BP1/SZA the somatic features were in depressive states (always) and later in life when he developed mixed states, there as well. for more on somatic features in depression you can look at this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181769/

bit cumbersome to read in full, but the point is that clinicians need to be aware of somatic features of depression so the diagnosis OF despression isn't missed--which is why i went with this article as seemed most relevant to your situation. some interesting bits:

ABSTRACT (paragraphs added by me): Both painful and nonpainful somatic symptoms essentially characterize clinical states of depressive mood. So far, this well-established psychopathological knowledge has been appreciated only insufficiently by the official diagnostic sys-terms of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edition, Text Revision (DSM-IVTR) and the ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioral Disorders. Clinical Descriptions and Diagnostic Guidelines (ICD-10).

From a perspective of primary care services, this unmet diagnostic need is deplorable, as the main mode of presenting a depression is by reporting somatic symptoms. This somatic form of presentation, however, significantly contributes to low rates of recognition in primary care. A diagnostic challenge may be seen in the differentiation of a depression with prevailing somatic symptoms from anxiety, somatoform disorders, and medical conditions.

When somatic symptoms, particularly painful physical conditions, accompany the already debilitating psychiatric and behavioral symptoms of depression, the course of the illness may be more severe, implying a higher risk of early relapse, chronicity suicide, or mortality due to other natural causes, the economic burden increases considerably, the functional status may be hampered heavily, and health-related quality of life may be lowered dramatically. The neurobiological underpinnings of somatic symptoms in depression may guide more promising treatment approaches.

Many factors may contribute to the form and extent to which a depression is presented in somatic symptoms. Female gender has been confirmed to be closely associated with somatization in many studies covering differential aspects on various theoretical levels.<SUP>83 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181769/#ref83)</SUP>

BellaVita
01-24-14, 05:30 PM
I feel ill.

Thanks so much for the info peri

Really appreciate it

fracturedstory
01-24-14, 06:35 PM
I get this too. I thought it was tied to my god awful pms/ PMDD but it does occur whenever I start feeling depressed.

I felt like a had a hole in my stomach today which felt a bit better I ate but then I just started to get these even weirder symptoms. Not even pain, just different sensations.

I'm like hypomanic dysphoric today. Watch out Facebook!

Rebelyell
01-24-14, 06:48 PM
That's anxiety and stress causing that.maybe drink some herbal tea or try to do something soothing to try to take your mind off of things if you can.

willow129
01-24-14, 07:52 PM
Bellaa.... **hug** I don't know you very well but I am really hoping you start feeling better soon!!! I agree with the herbal tea idea also.

Can you talk to a doctor about the pain though? I think that is a little worrisome...

willow129
01-24-14, 07:54 PM
Some teas that are good for your stomach:

ginger tea (with honey is great!), chamomile tea is good for relaxing I don't know if that's just placebo but it really works for me, licorice tea is also supposed to be good for your stomach. I really like Yogi ginger and Egyptian licorice teas - little expensive, but oh my god so good, high quality in my opinion.

BellaVita
01-24-14, 08:40 PM
thanks willow

I'm at a place where currently stuff isn't available

I've had this pain before I think peri and abi are correct and I'm sure anxiety doesn't help but usually anxiety doesn't cause depression and hopelessness and despair

Anyway sarahsweets is helping me with stuff so I hope to get in treatment eventually here

But yeah idk how much longer I can handle this

BellaVita
01-24-14, 08:42 PM
Why am I not sleeping.

willow129
01-24-14, 09:29 PM
Oooh I would bring you a care package with some teas if I could :)

I'm glad that Sarahsweets is helping you. You're not alone.

**hugs!!**

Fraser_0762
01-24-14, 09:34 PM
I've had this extreme stitch pain in the side of my stomach, but usually it only occurs occassionally. It just seems to come out of nowhere and I can barely walk because of the pain.

I've noticed though, that drinking more water has helped to prevent this from occuring. Not just this kind of pain, but any stomach pain.

fracturedstory
01-24-14, 09:42 PM
I actually think tea is making me worse. Mind you this is the regular stuff. It's been making me so sick that I think I could almost throw up. It's never done that before so I don't know what the ell is going on.

No doubt pms has started which makes my bipolar and the anxiety/depression that comes with it even harder to control.

I had a lot of water this morning and didn't feel better until I started to see my pain as a symptom of depression. The shift in perception from physical pain to emotional was almost magical.

BellaVita
01-24-14, 09:43 PM
I don't think I can draw a line between emotional and physical pain currently

Fraser_0762
01-24-14, 09:47 PM
Tea, Coffee and other caffinated beverages can damage the stomach lining if consumed too often or in excess. The best thing you can do is avoid these things for a while and allow the lining of your stomach to repair itself.

BellaVita
01-24-14, 09:53 PM
Tea, Coffee and other caffinated beverages can damage the stomach lining if consumed too often or in excess. The best thing you can do is avoid these things for a while and allow the lining of your stomach to repair itself.

Thank Fraser :)

Yeah been drinking just water

willow129
01-24-14, 10:23 PM
Yes caffeinated beverages not good - (I meant herbal teas just for the record. Those are not real teas with caffeine. I drink ZERO caffeine personally and I am extremely sensitive and also have stomach problems....which, yes, get worse with stress.)

Rebelyell
01-24-14, 11:24 PM
I have stomache problem s n they seem to be getting worse w age.are you eating bella?

BellaVita
01-24-14, 11:34 PM
I have stomache problem s n they seem to be getting worse w age.are you eating bella?

My appetite has significantly reduced

I forget, my mind constantly races

I try to eat at night though.

fracturedstory
01-24-14, 11:42 PM
I did go a while without drinking tea because of the heat. I t makes me fill full though and a love my choccy biscuits. I can't drink coffee because the worst or the worse happens. Paranoid, extreme agitation and I accuse people of trying to control me.

Tea just makes me feel drugged. Like a heavy sedative, given to a rhinoceros.

Anastasia
01-25-14, 01:31 AM
Acute stress goes right to my stomach, it can be pretty painful, and has a little burning sensation to it as well. It feels like its located in the the upper part of the stomach.

It never hurts to be careful, watch out for increased pain, fever and location of the pain. If you could point to the location of the pain with one finger, that is usually helpful. Knowing what organ is in that quadrant can be useful. Or, is it an all over kind of stomach pain.

Acute gastritis can be incredibly painful as well as a small ovarian cyst rupturing. But those usually pass on their own.

I'm sure I'm overreacting with the info, but just in case.

Feel better soon