View Full Version : Anyone hear of Globus Hystericus?

dy95
01-26-14, 01:37 PM
Hello All!
I've read about this problem extensively and no one seems to have a cure for this ailment. It seems as if there's phlem or mucus always stuck in my throat and I have the constant urge to clear my throat. Not just once in a while, but ALL DAY LONG! Every waking hour. Sometimes I'll try coughing, but most of the time i try to clear it, making God-awful sounds similar to a dying animal! People often ask me if I'm okay. Over the past 2 years I've discussed this with my psychiatrists, ENT's, and allergy doctors. I've had all sort of tests such as barium swallow, video scopes down my throat, CT, MRI, endoscopy, etc. Gastro doctor thinks it's acid reflux, psych doctor thinks it's a combination of anxiety and nervous tics. So far, reflux meds nor anxiety meds have helped this nightmare of a problem. Has anyone out there found any relief from this beast? Please help! Sorry for the lengthy diatribe. :(

ginniebean
01-26-14, 02:18 PM
Nope, would love to help but I never heard of it. I just wanted you to get some answer to your post because there's a probability others won't know either.

Fraser_0762
01-26-14, 02:54 PM
Yes, I have this problem as well. It feels likes a lump in my throat. Sometimes it feels like it's on one side and sometimes it feels like its on the other.

It usually effects me most when i'm tired and haven't slept properly. I have the constant urge to swallow and this can keep me awake, making me even more tired, causing the problem to get even worse.

The worst part is when the swallowing reflex becomes jammed from too much frequent swallowing. It's very painful and a bit scary whenever this happens.

sarek
01-26-14, 03:24 PM
I have occasionally experienced the jammed swallow reflex Fraser is talking about and its indeed very unpleasant. But I have not experienced it for quite some time now.

Fuzzy12
01-26-14, 03:24 PM
I know quite a few people with this problem but unfortunately no solution?

Could cbt help with this?

Fraser_0762
01-26-14, 04:50 PM
I think the best thing for it is a good sleep and to just try and relax as much as possible.

It's one of those things that the more you think about it, the more troublesome it becomes.

I can't sleep on my sides anymore because of it, I always have to lie down straight on my back and my head has to be perfectly angled, otherwise the lumpy feeling returns on at least 1 side of my throat and i'm up all night trying to swallow something that simply isn't there.

HopelessInNY
03-13-14, 10:55 AM
That sounds exactly like what I have. But it also causes me to dry heave and gag on my own saliva/phlegm. Doctors also thought it was acid reflux, my tonsils ended up being enlarged and had sleep apnea - this lead to surgery and it's still there. Perhaps it's muscle tension from the anxiety? or a combination of both that and reflux? I have yet to try any real anxiety medication or muscle relaxers... but I do notice it less when I am not as anxious or worrisome. Perhaps a combination of medication, diet and sleep? I have not met anyone with this affliction... so im intrigued to ask what have you tried, what has helped etc....

Flory
03-13-14, 11:23 AM
ive had this before nd i make it worse by continually swallowing and somehow straining my throat...it usually sorts its self out on its own...its definitely exacerbated by anxiety and tiredness in my situation...its tough but id try and ignore it the more you ignore it the more it kind of sorts itself out...as youve had it checked out already by a gp in case its something else thats the best advise i can offer

fracturedstory
03-16-14, 09:45 PM
Sounds like some sort of higher power who who gets nervous around the other super powers, so he wreaks havoc on planets of lesser beings (like humans) just so he doesn't show off his weakness in front of the other celestial beings.

He may or may not look like Galacticus.

I don't read too many Marvel comics...

Fortune
03-16-14, 10:20 PM
It's not called globus hystericus anymore. It used to be seen as primarily a symptom of anxiety but now it's understood that it often has physiological causes. Whenever I have a sinus infection I get this sensation.