View Full Version : Best adult ADD self help book that has helped you?

Caspian34
01-26-14, 06:44 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could recommend a great adult ADD self help book? Where I live in a small city it seems none of the physicians can treat or even are that aware of adult ADD. Thanks for any recommendations.

HowToLou
01-26-14, 10:33 PM
You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?!: The Classic Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder

I loved this book. It taught me to embrace my ADD and work with it.

jag2000
01-28-14, 06:19 PM
Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood. By
Edward M. Hallowell (Author), John J. Ratey (Author)
it was a complete eye opener for me (recently diagnosed) and my wife who has an appointment to see her dr because she now thinks she has it.
also our daughter is diagnosed and in therapy and our son is recently diagnosed.
UM YEA
THE WHOLE DANG FAMILY UGHHHH

execfunc
01-28-14, 07:58 PM
The only one I've (sort of) read all the way through is "Taking Charge of Adult ADHD," by Dr. Russell Barkley. It's excellent. I'm also reading "Delivered from Distraction," by Dr. Edward M. Hallowell (someone mentioned him above). I do like the substance of the material, but his "Hey, champ, you're extra special, and, shucks, who wants to be normal anyhow?!" approach is kind of grating to me. Not a bad tone to take with kids, but it's sort of patronizing, in my opinion. It's still worth reading, though.

I'd also recommend watching whatever you can find with Russell Barkley on YouTube. There's a lot on there.

Meadd
01-29-14, 12:02 PM
Well.. Guess what folks... I started reading "I am not lazy, stupid or crazy"... and got distracted, disinterested in it... This was a few years ago... One of my current goals is to be able to complete projects I set myself to accomplish... My Pdoc suggested to learn about organizational skills and to join forums like this one... I've been a member here for years, but also got distracted and lost interest... until just recently...

I do not know if I am going to read a book on ADD from cover to cover, but I can tell you I gain so much knowledge from everyone here, and from all the posts available...This is the best "book" I have found on ADD: our ADD forums knowledge base and the fellowship and understanding I get from all of yas...:thankyou:

Sickle
06-29-14, 06:09 AM
I've got around 12 of them... have yet to open one of them.

stef
06-29-14, 07:56 AM
Driven to distraction
but I love this because it's the first thing I read about ADD after online tests, and it was just so amazing that there was actually A BOOK about how I had felt all of my life!

faller
06-29-14, 04:56 PM
I have "delivered from distraction" on audiobook. Although this seems to be highly regarded by both professionals and people with ADHD I don't care much for it. Too much telling me how great I am compared to useful content. I think this my only book so far though.

Leviathan99
06-29-14, 05:05 PM
I really found "Taking charge of adult adhd" to be a great read by Russell Barkley. It goes in depth about the emotional challenges and it really spoke to me. It also lists various forms of therapy to work with your medication and some things to talk to your therapist and physician about. Really made me realize that in some cases medication isn't enough. Its a big reason I made an appointment with my therapist to work on CBT or cognitive behavioral therapy.

Randy99CL
08-26-14, 10:50 PM
I've been getting some books from the library.
A few were unmemorable including "ADHD for Dummies"!

I'm working with "Fast Minds" by Surman and Bilkey now and really like it.
They give good advice (with explanations) to help deal with the individual symptoms, without drugs. They do discuss the drugs in a later chapter but I've not gotten that far yet.

Tmoney
08-27-14, 08:13 AM
Ifyou type in books in the search it will show you posts of recommended books.
The best reading for me was the stories on this forum.

"I went to the book store and asked the woman behind the counter wherethe self help section was, she said if she told me it would defeat the purpose!"

DJC-77
08-27-14, 09:45 AM
I also read ADDitude magazine online and it has a lot of useful tools to help..

http://www.additudemag.com/channel/adult-add-adhd/index.html

MADD As A Hatte
08-28-14, 07:58 AM
Can't remember the name. It was fantastic.

But I only got half way through it.:doh:

WheresMyMind
09-15-14, 09:00 PM
Most books for ADD seem to have too many things in them...which ones to pick? I found a combination of Covey's "Seven Habits" and David Allen's "Getting Things Done" got me past the mechanical day-to-day of getting things done and picking the right ones. If Ari Tuckman's book "More Attention, Less Deficit" weren't so darned repetitous, it would be good...he could distill the 300-ish pages to maybe 40...that would be nice and concise.

Aramuk
05-22-17, 12:06 AM
Add-Friendly Ways To Organize Your Life

Make sure you get the 2nd Rev ed. The first version (2002) is great, but a bit outdated due to the vast changes in using the computer and Internet since then.

superherobootca
05-29-17, 09:51 PM
There are several books that will help you that have little to do with ADHD:

"2 Second Lean" is an excellent book to teach you organization.

"The Developing Brain" explains how your brain develops and works...and that most of the conventions that explain ADHD are just not true.

I've written several short booklets on how to master ADHD, as well.

ADD_Serpent
06-07-17, 01:24 PM
In my opinion self help books are only a support if you are on proper medication, and I would add that finding the dose where you start triggering is the main task. Then you can utilise books, tools, techniques and may be able to titrate downwards to maintain a ample balance with medication supported with other tools.
If you watch the entire russel barkly material available on youtube and his site, I think most of the books,you purchaselater,will,be,only repetions,of,what he said in videos

He knows,rhe sruff.

ADD_Serpent
06-07-17, 06:08 PM
Forget to add, INMHO,
Once you fix the real "hardware problem" in your brain, (In my opinion all other "exercises" people do, because of the social stigma against medication which I believe is the only real fix,- my opinion only based on my own personal experience - No claims of any my own Research data !, can only be considered as supporting accessories for your ailment,) then many self books are useful.
Even though not written from a ADHD point of view, the below one I found very helpful.
https://www.amazon.com/Coach-Yourself-Success-Personal-Reaching/dp/0809225379

I am now 46 and "experienced" in chronic ADHD and its usual co morbidities from the age of 17. I have lot of books in my collection, but those tricks will help, but medication is the one which is the only thing will," change" you, if it is ADHD!
Hope this helps.