View Full Version : Any Hyperlexic bible-reading Chrisians out there with ADHD?

Punchy71
01-27-14, 06:06 PM
Greetings,
I was just wondering if there are any bible-believing Christians out there who have ADHD (like myself), and if so, how do you exist in the context of your bible (i.e. book) oriented church? Do you struggle with reading your bible as much as I do or is it largely not a problem at all? I personally struggle with reading my bible continually due to Hyperlexia (it's like Dyslexia but not the same thing)...

Here's a brief video comparing Dyslexia with Hyperlexia Hyperlexia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoUpSJHEft0):

Thanks

execfunc
01-27-14, 06:19 PM
Hi, Punchy71. Yeah, this is a major nuisance for me. I mentioned on another thread how I read so many books, and then don't remember them later. This is also something that happens to me with established prayers: Sometimes (often, really), praying the rosary (which I do every day), I find myself skimming through the prayers between the decades of Hail Marys without focusing on the meaning and how it applies to me. I hate it! When I catch myself doing it, sometimes I will start over, but sometimes I say, "God understands. Just keep going and try to focus again."

With the Bible, though, I'e internalized the meaning(s) from chronic and frequent repetition, especially the New Testament. I've known these stories for so long, and I hear them at Mass each week, so even when I catch myself drifting off as I read, I can usually come back to the essence pretty quickly and easily. It is, however, still an annoyance, of course.

At this point, I've resigned myself to my limitations due to ADHD, and I focus more on what I have to be thankful for in my life – it's a lot! And, again, God understands and loves us. :)

kilted_scotsman
01-27-14, 08:02 PM
Mod Note:
The guidelines prohibit discussion of religion.

However this thread is about the OP's issue with ADHD and hyperlexia in the context of having to read and process long and complex texts in a social situation that is significant to the OP.

References to belief systems outside this context will be removed

kilted_scotsman

execfunc
01-27-14, 08:09 PM
Mod Note:
The guidelines prohibit discussion of religion.

However this thread is about the OP's issue with ADHD and hyperlexia in the context of having to read and process long and complex texts in a social situation that is significant to the OP.

References to belief systems outside this context will be removed

kilted_scotsman

Ah, gotcha. Sorry, I wasn't aware!

Canadian Mess
01-27-14, 09:29 PM
I do not have hyperlexia I don't think, but I am a Christian and do struggle with bible readings because I have ADHD. I forget to read the bible, forget what I'm reading if I remember to in the first place or get distracted by the millions of things going on around me

meadd823
01-31-14, 03:34 AM
I am dyslexic so I am not sure if some thing like an audiobook would help hyperlexia - If so surely some thing as popular as the Bible would come in the form of an audiobook

Many years ago when I was trying to learn scripture I ran across some CD's that put the scriptures to music - They were the lyrics of songs. Singing scripture did not devalue them but they were a lot more fun to memorize - I could pop one of the CDs in on my way to work and sing along!!!