View Full Version : This man is talking in the library and I'm tempted to end his life. Why?

hattz19
01-27-14, 10:20 PM
Right now, I'm agitated in the library and basically vegetating, but backtracking all of this will probably help me in arriving a reasonable conclusion:This morning, I was officially awake at 7:30 AM (even though I didn’t get out of bed until 10) and fell asleep around midnight. I’m a college and have class at 11:30, so I ate breakfast, shaved, showered, and was in my car by 11:05. I ate my breakfast (a bowl of Reese’s Puffs with milk) at around 10:30, but figured that was enough time to pop my first dos, a 20mg Adderall IR. I didn’t feel the effects, but figured it was the food.

I got through Accounting & Econ with my ADHD symptoms (distracted, couldn’t finish anything, etc.) At 3:30 I took another 20mg, my second dose, but on an empty stomach. I began studying at 4 and plowed through 9 pages with comfortable understanding. Then around 4:45 this guy started speaking his language quite loudly.

At first I figure that he planned on holding a two-minute chat, so I let it slide. Now, it’s 6:03 and I’m on page 14. I read five pages with minimal understanding. Is it that the Adderall wore off, the fact that I haven’t eaten in nine hours, my breakfast, or potentially inadequate sleep (although I believe it was adequate I’m feeling fatigued) that caused a pretty quick shift in the medications effectiveness? Now even a little whisper throws me off and what I do read doesn’t sink in. It’s just so agitating that I can’t get things done in a timely manner… underwhelming and demotivating.

Nicksgonefishin
01-27-14, 10:33 PM
Eat some dinner and get some sleep man!

Daydreamin22
01-27-14, 11:16 PM
It takes about 20 mins to get back into concentrating. Also the no food thing can be taking up a lot of energy. You can't forget to eat and it's easier to be healthy when you're not hungry any way. Also, in order for the Adderall to work in the brain, it needs b12, no Vit C, ginseng supposedly helps and so does taurenzen ?? (sp), calcium carbonate, antioxidants help, and something. Livestrong.com had some good information about this. There's a diff one for inattentive only in replacing gensing.

Fraser_0762
01-27-14, 11:18 PM
Eat well, sleep well. Take Magnesium suppliments.

hattz19
01-28-14, 12:31 AM
It takes about 20 mins to get back into concentrating. Also the no food thing can be taking up a lot of energy. You can't forget to eat and it's easier to be healthy when you're not hungry any way. Also, in order for the Adderall to work in the brain, it needs b12, no Vit C, ginseng supposedly helps and so does taurenzen ?? (sp), calcium carbonate, antioxidants help, and something. Livestrong.com had some good information about this. There's a diff one for inattentive only in replacing gensing.

See, I would love to eat on Adderall! I took my third dose at 7 (should be able to sleep by midnight), and am almost done w/ this chapter. I also take Prozac for anxiety- due to the adderall- which makes me fatigued, but I usually take that with my vitamins at night before bed. Prozac's worked really well and I've been much calmer, no noticeable anxiety and not one panic attack.

At first Adderall took away any food cravings, but now that I'm used to it, it's like I could eat but I don't have to... And my only fear with eating is that whatever I eat interacts w/ the medication, making it useless. I want to make the medication fit into my normal life.

Daydreamin22
01-28-14, 02:14 AM
I think vitamin C is the main culprit of diminishing effectiveness. Good to take vits at night. I do the same thing.

Magnesium helps with tolerance, but has never been proven. Tauresene is naturally produced but sometimes there's not enough, effecting maximal effectiveness, I've heard. Also, according to Livestrong, lysene possibly has a negative effect combined with adderall making new symptoms supposedly interfering with neuro transmitters. Water always helps. Taking adderall on an empty stomach is a little more effective, at least at first. If Prozac calms you brain down it may be interfering. But I have no clue. I take lexapro and my dr has me on ridiculous bipolar meds, so I can barely get the effects of ADD meds and it's completely affected my ability to focus. He doesn't care or listen.

But anyway, I think Magnesium is a good idea, and the whispering is definitely a culprit. Every time you hear it it breaks your concentration unless you're way way hyperfocused. I would definitely get headphones and not have music on, or go to a place with no distractions. Even things on your desk are a distraction.

hattz19
01-28-14, 04:07 AM
I think vitamin C is the main culprit of diminishing effectiveness. Good to take vits at night. I do the same thing.

Magnesium helps with tolerance, but has never been proven. Tauresene is naturally produced but sometimes there's not enough, effecting maximal effectiveness, I've heard. Also, according to Livestrong, lysene possibly has a negative effect combined with adderall making new symptoms supposedly interfering with neuro transmitters. Water always helps. Taking adderall on an empty stomach is a little more effective, at least at first. If Prozac calms you brain down it may be interfering. But I have no clue. I take lexapro and my dr has me on ridiculous bipolar meds, so I can barely get the effects of ADD meds and it's completely affected my ability to focus. He doesn't care or listen.

But anyway, I think Magnesium is a good idea, and the whispering is definitely a culprit. Every time you hear it it breaks your concentration unless you're way way hyperfocused. I would definitely get headphones and not have music on, or go to a place with no distractions. Even things on your desk are a distraction.

I booked a quiet suite at my gym and ended up getting the chapter done and then some... when my exams are done I'm gonna try and see how it works with meals. I'm working on starting a workout routine, building a more consistent schedule etc. Definitely think that could help. I drink TONS of water.

I don't under eat, but eating 1500+ calories in one sitting at 11 pm is difficult.

TygerSan
01-28-14, 09:53 AM
You need to eat something when the meds are in effect. Really, people take Adderall and eat and it doesn't interfere with efficacy to a great extent. Even just half a sandwich at lunch time will help tremendously. I speak from experience. When I was on Adderall, if I didn't eat during the day, when the meds wore off, I crashed incredibly hard and fast, to the point where I was seriously depressed and paranoid.

As for the person in the library, I can't read while someone is talking next to me. If they're talking in a foreign language, especially one that I don't speak at all, it becomes absolutely impossible for me to process anything. So, yeah, I totally get your fantasy. With me, I'm usually standing at a scientific poster, trying to process something extremely technical, while there's a small group behind me discussing something in some European language behind me. And yes, my urge to kill rises during those times. :doh:

hattz19
01-28-14, 04:57 PM
Took my dose around 11:30, kicked in at 12:20... Some guy comes and sits next to me and starts watching anime in the library and I can't focus. He needs to lower his headphones... Had an apple at ~11 for breakfast before my dose and slept for 8 hours easily. I have no clue, but I know that I'm losing my mind and it just isn't fair.

Canadian Mess
01-28-14, 07:45 PM
You definitely need to eat balanced meals, exercise and sleep with ADHD, especially with stimulants.

I'm a student as well, so I know the drill.

-Balanced meals:
Aim for having 3 main meals a day, and 2 snacks. This way your glucose levels are stable throughout the day and you get the energy you need for studying and focusing.

-You need lots of carbs (50% of calories)- try to get it from fruit, veg, whole grains, protein (20-30%) and less fat (20-30% of calories)- mostly from unsaturated fat.
For example:

-Try to aim for a big breakfast (I have a protein-vitamin shake, a cup of milk and wheat cereal that has high fiber)
-Then I take my pill and drink 2 cups of water (you need lots of water on stimulants)
-Snack: yogurt, banana
Lunch: crackers, cheese, chicken breast and some raw veggies (my appetite is impaired by my med) and more milk
-Snack: 2 clementine, trail mix
-Supper: pasta, bread, salad and more meat

Exercise- Takes out the stress of exams, and helps you focus more.
Sleep- when you don' t get enough sleep your focus decreases and you feel moody. Try to aim for 7-8 hours, so you can get up earlier to study and such.

hattz19
01-28-14, 07:55 PM
You definitely need to eat balanced meals, exercise and sleep with ADHD, especially with stimulants.

-Balanced meals:
Aim for having 3 main meals a day, and 2 snacks. This way your glucose levels are stable throughout the day and you get the energy you need for studying and focusing.

-You need lots of carbs (50% of calories)- try to get it from fruit, veg, whole grains, protein (20-30%) and less fat (20-30% of calories)- mostly from unsaturated fat.
For example:

-Try to aim for a big breakfast (I have a protein-vitamin shake, a cup of milk and wheat cereal that has high fiber)
-Then I take my pill and drink 2 cups of water (you need lots of water on stimulants)
Lunch: crackers, cheese, chicken breast and some raw veggies (my appetite is impaired by my med) and more milk

Sleep- when you don' t get enough sleep your focus decreases and you feel moody. Try to aim for 7-8 hours, so you can get up earlier to study and such.

Thanks a lot for the advice, that's really helpful. So you haven't noticed interference from the drug after breakfast or eating meals? I mean I'm sure there's a tolerance to Adderall that takes away side effects and whatever euphoria in the initial few weeks, but many (probably most) take these drugs for year on end and find a healthy consistency with it.

Just wish I could be as engaged typing this forum post as I could be reading my accounting book or learning econ or stats. I probably shouldn't be saying this, but I'm actually having a friend who took the econ class last quarter email me the midterm answers since it's online. Howevever, that doesn't reduce stress, etc. It makes me more relaxed I guess, but it's not the grades of classes or "A's" at this point, I have a 3.91 in my second year, but I actually want to learn material and apply it to the real world while being able to control my mind and keep it on task. The most stressful thing of all of this is that I can't get my mind to do what I want it to, causing internal anger and moodiness. Thanks a lot.

Canadian Mess
01-28-14, 08:10 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice, that's really helpful. So you haven't noticed interference from the drug after breakfast or eating meals? I mean I'm sure there's a tolerance to Adderall that takes away side effects and whatever euphoria in the initial few weeks, but many (probably most) take these drugs for year on end and find a healthy consistency with it.

Just wish I could be as engaged typing this forum post as I could be reading my accounting book or learning econ or stats. I probably shouldn't be saying this, but I'm actually having a friend who took the econ class last quarter email me the midterm answers since it's online. Howevever, that doesn't reduce stress, etc. It makes me more relaxed I guess, but it's not the grades of classes or "A's" at this point, I have a 3.91 in my second year, but I actually want to learn material and apply it to the real world while being able to control my mind and keep it on task. The most stressful thing of all of this is that I can't get my mind to do what I want it to, causing internal anger and moodiness. Thanks a lot.

I know the feeling!!! I have a 3.86 GPA in my fourth year, and its taken 4 years to really get a grip on focusing on what I'm learning. I didn't read my textbooks the way I should and somehow got the grades, but I couldn't focus and learn that well.

I don't notice any interference with the meds, I am on Ritalin, extended release. If I don't eat breakfast before, it seems it doesn't work as well for me. I've been on it since September 2013. You are fine getting vitamin C (it's needed so you don't get scurvey and also to help your body fight free radicals, etc- it's needed for collagen which is in your skin and muscles too!). It's better to get it from fruit then from a tablet as it's more bioavailable that way.

The recommendation is to have orange juice or other stuff really high in it, 2 hours after the pill- so that's what I do. I eat fruit in the snack times and during the rest of the day.

For studying, I use mytomatoes.com, I study for 25 minutes and take 5 minute break, repeat. With music in background/ ear plugs drowning out other people. I have to follow a "schedule" like it's orders to myself to get things done. It's hard to pull away from the internet (I'm distracted right now and need to get to work)

mctavish23
01-28-14, 08:31 PM
I'd say to "Go For It." But then again, I always say that for everything. :D

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Rebelyell
01-28-14, 08:36 PM
Ask for Abi and ask if you can borrow his machete:D

hattz19
01-29-14, 05:03 PM

-Balanced meals:

For example:

I want to say thank you SO much for this again! After reading this yesterday I went to the cafe and had a turkey sandwich, took my dose 30 minutes later and it worked amazingly... just as I expected it to. No euphoria, no "high", just focused with no side effects. I was able to turn my blinders and move from task to task and still keep concentration. This was in a tutoring center filled with loud people. My working memory was 10x better, and it didn't make stats "fun" nor was I Albert Einstein but it made it understandable because I was able to concentrate and put the pieces together.

Now, this morning I woke up around 10, but only had 6 hours of sleep. At 10:30 I had an apple and took a shower, then at 11 I had a piece of tortilla bread, 5 minutes later took my dose and was on my way. Zero effect, daydreamed through accounting and was the calculator [insert term for female dog here.]

In addition, for the first time in a long time I was anxious last night. I began Prozac on January 6th and it's been noticeably helpful in reducing anxiety (no noticeable anxiety, zero panic attacks), but I just started and am seeing if it persists.

My plan right now is to pound through my Econ exam at 1:30, eat around 2:30, and take my second dose at 3 to see how that helps. Tomorrow I'll plan on waking up earlier and having a whey shake with some bread and almonds or something. Thanks a lot again man, looks like things are finally coming together.

Canadian Mess
01-29-14, 06:32 PM
I want to say thank you SO much for this again! After reading this yesterday I went to the cafe and had a turkey sandwich, took my dose 30 minutes later and it worked amazingly... just as I expected it to. No euphoria, no "high", just focused with no side effects. I was able to turn my blinders and move from task to task and still keep concentration. This was in a tutoring center filled with loud people. My working memory was 10x better, and it didn't make stats "fun" nor was I Albert Einstein but it made it understandable because I was able to concentrate and put the pieces together.

Now, this morning I woke up around 10, but only had 6 hours of sleep. At 10:30 I had an apple and took a shower, then at 11 I had a piece of tortilla bread, 5 minutes later took my dose and was on my way. Zero effect, daydreamed through accounting and was the calculator [insert term for female dog here.]

In addition, for the first time in a long time I was anxious last night. I began Prozac on January 6th and it's been noticeably helpful in reducing anxiety (no noticeable anxiety, zero panic attacks), but I just started and am seeing if it persists.

My plan right now is to pound through my Econ exam at 1:30, eat around 2:30, and take my second dose at 3 to see how that helps. Tomorrow I'll plan on waking up earlier and having a whey shake with some bread and almonds or something. Thanks a lot again man, looks like things are finally coming together.

I'm glad to hear it!!! I just notice that when I eat better and sleep better, my pills work so much more than if I didn't

I'm doing research (literature review) on the effects of food and nutrition on the treatment of ADHD, so when I have finished going through the studies, I will have a more informed understanding of what works best for us. I will make a post about my findings in the future.

hattz19
02-04-14, 08:25 PM
I'm glad to hear it!!! I just notice that when I eat better and sleep better, my pills work so much more than if I didn't

I'm doing research (literature review) on the effects of food and nutrition on the treatment of ADHD, so when I have finished going through the studies, I will have a more informed understanding of what works best for us. I will make a post about my findings in the future.

Awesome!!! Ran out of Adderall today... getting new script tomorrow, definitely feel the difference... feel free to bump this post if you find any conclusive info.