View Full Version : College Student with ADHD and other "addictions"

Seanbone82
01-28-14, 05:06 PM
Hey everyone, I'm a 19 year old college student attending a college campus that is one of the few state schools that actually allow tobacco use on campus. I have ADHD, been taking vyvanse since my freshman year in high school and now as a freshman at college I am at 60 MG. I also developed a habit of smoking tobacco this last semester here. I noticed that I only really "need" to smoke a cigarette when I am on vyvanse. I am aware of the fact that it's a stimulant so that's why it makes me want to smoke more. I have my medical marijuana card as well to help with my lack of appetite and sleep that vyvanse gives me occasionally. Not too worried about the marijuana part of it but I feel as if I am addicted to both Vyvanse and Tobacco.

I don't abuse vyvanse EVER. I take it as prescribed daily (occasional weekends where I don't take it). I just have taken it for so long that I really have to rely on it to get any sort of job done, it makes me approach things more professionally. And since I take vyvanse almost every day, I smoke probably 5-6 cigarettes per day and possibly more depending on how busy I am that day. I just would like to know, am I the only one out there who is going through this? I can't seem to find anything else anymore that seems nice and relaxing during the day besides cigarettes. I need some advice from people who have gone through addictions related to this. Is it a bad thing that I rely on vyvanse for everyday work or am I just a regular person with ADHD? Sorry that there are a lot of questions but I need some answers here.
Hope someone can help :confused:

liveandletdie
01-28-14, 08:31 PM
I used to smoke while I was medicated as well, it's a habit you should kick.

Without stimulants smokes are repugnant to me and I get nothing from them...
With my stims they suddenly give you an actual type of high....seems strange. I find this especially true with dexedrine or vyvanse like you're on.

I no longer smoke cigarettes...because I was developing chest pains, hated the way I smelt, always felt dirty, and couldn't run a mile.

I would switch to cigars and then quit altogether.

The weed smoke isn't going to help you quit either.

If you're smoking weed then you're going to smoke cigarettes...there are very few people who ONLY smoke weed.

So i'd figure something else out for "lack of appetite and sleep"

Lunacie
01-28-14, 09:22 PM
Am I addicted to wearing my eyeglasses? To using a cane to walk? I don't think so.

I don't think you are addicted to your stimulant meds either.

You simply depend on them the way I depend on my glasses and my cane.

I hope you can stop smoking cigarettes before that becomes an actual addiction.

tykenfitz
01-28-14, 09:53 PM
I actually know a lot of people that smoke weed but won't touch cigarettes. I'm in college too and smoke a pack probably every 2 or 3 weeks. It's definitely something we should kick, feel like a donkey kicked me in chest sometimes.

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I'd say there's really nothing wrong with relying on Vyvanse to get work done, that's what it's for, right?

sarahsweets
01-29-14, 05:43 AM
I dont smoke weed. Havent since college. I do smoke cigarettes and have been for 15 years. I am trying to quit slowly with nicotine replacement but its tough going. My adderall does seem to make me crave smoking more. I have been on stimulants for nearly 10 years and am not addicted to them. I need them to live because I always have adhd and it never takes any breaks.