View Full Version : I think I'm addicted to food :(

psychopathetic
01-29-14, 12:39 AM
So I quit smoking about 3 1/2 years ago. As soon as I quit smoking I noticed I started to eat more.
But I've always had weight issues. I've always been overweight.
Since quitting smoking, I've put on 50 pounds though.

I eat even when I'm not hungry. When I eat I over eat.
And I often times find myself very hungry and all I want to do is go eat a large portion of junk foods.

I'm sitting here watching the biggest loser on tv...eating pasta and pizza :(.
And I'm a type 1 diabetic.

It's my hunger...it drives me nuts! I sit there hungry and it just festers and the hunger seems to grow. I try to will my way through my hunger. Try to fight it. Tell myself it's okay to be hungry...I'll be fine!
But then thoughts of food enter my head and it just snowballs and next thing I know I've got a pizza and some pasta in front of me.

I'm not sure what to do. I mean I know the logical stuff...'just don't eat as much!'... 'eat healthier'...'eliminate the junk foods from your life'...I "know" what I have to do...I just have a hard time moving past that. Taking the steps I need to. And I've been stuck like this for years now. It's the most unhealthy part of my life right now...my weight and eating habits.

I've been walking daily for 4 weeks now, and throwing in some exercising as well...but it's impossible to lose any weight when I'm eating badly.

I know this is all up to me...no one can do the work for me...but does anyone have any tips?
I have real issues with food. I often feel VERY hungry, and I often eat WAY too much. I think I may have an addiction to food :(.

I also started adderall a week ago. I have noticed that when I'm on the adderall, my hunger diminishes which feels amazing. I feel like I walk around CONSTANTLY hungry (even though I'm really probably not!)...but when the adderall is kicking in, that just vanishes!
The problem I have is when I come down from the adderall...the hunger returns with a vengeance.

Sorry for the huge post guys.

:grouphug:

BellaVita
01-29-14, 12:41 AM
You're type 1 diabetic...

Isn't "constant hunger" one of the symptoms?

Fraser_0762
01-29-14, 01:38 AM
Thinking about food all the time is usually associated with extreme boredom.

Perhaps you need to take up a few hobbies. Take your own mind away from food.

BellaVita
01-29-14, 01:43 AM
Or *maybe* you are lacking in some sort of nutrient and your body is screaming crying out for anything.....

Have you had your iron levels checked?

On a deeper side....food could be filling in for something else in your life that's missing....

phantasm
01-29-14, 01:48 AM
psychopathetic - I would cook for you if you were my neighbor! I loooove food, love to cook, and love to eat! It's soooo hard to enjoy without over-indulging.

I'm an emotional eater, especially when I'm sad.

I personally can not eliminate certain foods from my diet, the moment I am told "no" is the moment I HAVE to have that. It's my food trigger, so to speak.

So I do the opposite, I add food! :yes: I just buy my favorite fruits and veggies and find ways to fit them in at every meal. Like I eat what I would normally eat for breakfast, but I eat a banana first, or I finish off breakfast with a bunch of strawberries.

For lunch I will eat an entire artichoke WITH butter. Mmmmmmmm

However I can get fruits in veggies in my diet, it doesn't matter. But I for me that's the key to weight loss and curbing the raging appetite.

Oh and Water! one glass right when I wake up, and one glass in between every meal.

Eat what you like, just eat a crapton more fruits and veggies, and you'll understand. :)
You can't go wrong!

Fuzzy12
01-29-14, 04:46 AM
(((((((((((PSYCHO))))))))))

It's very difficult to ignore hunger. The more you try to suppress the your hunger, the more you'll think about it. It's possible to not give in to your hunger but usually that will just make you miserable.

It might help to look at the reasons why you eat. Bella raised a good point about diabetes and nutritional needs. Make sure that you have those covered.

Emotional eating. Uggh..I have an eating disorder. I almost exclusively eat to control my emotions (unsuccessfully). Redirecting your attention to a hobby or something fun does help as does exercise, mainly because it makes you feel better about yourself.

Whatever your reason is I've found that if I'm hungry, my body will scream for food till it gets it. There are a few things though that you can do to reduce your hunger. You don't have to stop eating or drastically reduce the amount of food you take in. What you eat can make a big difference though (and I know, it's tough to make healthier choices, especially when you are an emotional eater).

1. Fibre. For me, when I want to lose weight, fibre is my best friend. It keeps me full and energised for a long time. Also, it's quite easy to incorporate. Just switch to wholewheat. Wholewheat pasta, bread, brown rice, cabbage, cereals, etc.

1a) Bran sticks (or flakes). They are extremely high in fibre. You can just sprinkle some on your cereals (if you have cereals) in the morning or even any other dish that you have. They don't taste of much, so I usually mix them with something else (like another type of sweetened cereal).

1b) Flax seeds. For hunger, they work wonders. When I started having flax seeds with breakfast I was stunned. I wouldn't feel hungry till afternoon but what was even better, neither did I feel tired. They keep you full & dynamic. I could sing the praises of flax seeds all day long. You can buy them pre milled or get whole ones (usually cheaper) and grind them yourself. Again just sprinkle a few table spoons (start small) on your meals. An additional benefit is that they are high in omega 3.

Whenever you increase your fibre intake, make sure you drink more water as well. Lots more water.

2. Water. If you don't drink enough water, your body might mistake thirst for hunger.

3. Proteins. This is one I struggle with since I'm a vegetarian. I haven't found any high protein food stuff that helps with feeling satiated but apparently protein does help with that. Again, make sure that you have plenty of water.

4. Fruits. I love fruits so this one is easy for me. Whenever you feel hungry have a fruit. Always keep them handy. They still have a lot of sugar, but I think the other good stuff in them makes up for that. I find that apples are the best at satiating hunger. Find a type that you like (my favourite are pink ladies and royal gala, but I'm not sure if they are available in the US).

5. Always have a healthy snack near by you so that when the hunger pangs strike you aren't tempted to buy a chocolate bar or some other crap.

6. Exercise. Strangely, when I exercise I also eat less and healthier. One reason is that it takes me a lot of effort to exercise so when I do, I don't want to undermine the effort by eating unhealthy. However, somehow just exercising actually reduces my hunger. Not exactly my hunger. I do get very hungry, but it reduces my appetite.

7. Don't be draconian about your food choices. Nothing promotes a weekend binge or a midnight binge more than constantly having to fight your temptations. Also, and this might just apply to me, when I eat something "unhealthy", I tend to get so annoyed, that I just give up on eating healthy all together and have a huge binge of a few thousand calories. Well, don't do that. A little chocolate bar or a few slices of pizza a week won't make a big difference. Just slowly replace them with healthier options but don't completely deprive yourself of everything you like.

Unmanagable
01-29-14, 07:03 AM
I feel your pain and it's a constant uphill struggle.

The processed/packaged/fast foods are designed to keep us craving and wanting more, and they also create and/or greatly exacerbate many of the health issues we develop via all the chemicals, additives, preservatives, etc. Grrrrrrrrr.............

(((((((Hugs)))))))

dvdnvwls
01-29-14, 04:54 PM
psychopathetic - your experience is pretty much my own as well, down to the details. (well, I never smoked, but everything else.) I can't give better advice than has already been given.

RachaelAFT
01-30-14, 02:33 PM
What a number of people do not realize is that food addiction is like any other addiction. Problem with that being said, you cannot just stop eating! Going cold turkey is impossible! What you need to do is understand WHY you are an addict.

Addiction in all forms comes down to something that I call "emotional injury". There are medical reasons to add into addiction, genetic predisposition is part, but there are multiple facets of psychological growth and development that are a source.

It is hard to give advice in this area because "re-opening old wounds" can be a very traumatic experience. Obviously it is affecting you on a daily scale anyway, but to begin to examine the source, confront it and contend with it so that the situation can be resolved and you are open to HEAL, is a huge emotional step and generally requires professional guidance, or at least a group that you are involved in with a responsible counselor.

One of the best things to learn though, is more about YOU! Get involved in some hobbies; art, music, dance, writing, puzzles, something that occupies your thought process so that, when your mind is running with other thoughts, they are refocused into more positive routines.

Much of what you experience is from routines, the routines of bad habits. You acquired these bad habits in a response to try and make yourself feel better about yourself, they were just mis-chosen responses not knowing better ones at the time. Breaking bad habits psychologically takes removing yourself from that habit for 28 days, then replacing it with a better "habit", which requires 28 days. This is why the best rehabilitation clinics are 60 to 90 days. After removing the "bad" routine, you experience replacement and then can experience another 30 days where you adjust yourself to dealing with feelings and thoughts that may urge you to return to the old, familiar "bad" routine/habit.

I encourage you to look into help that will nurture your resolve in this manner. Walking is excellent, but you might also want to pick up a DVD/video or book on Beginners Yoga or a good stretching workout. The movements in these two practices are very gentle on joints and can really begin giving your muscles fantastic tone, and your moving muscles along with oxygen (this is why deep breathing usually begins and ends exercise routines) burns fat! Yoga and stretching will also help flush the body of excess water weight.

Something that may seem a "fad" but is so healthy and can really be fun is juicing! You aren't just popping open a Slim fast, you are shopping to choose healthy fruits and vegetables, looking up recipes for detox juicing, breakfast juicing, refreshing, ...! Between juicing and making your own fresh flavored waters in order to keep your body hydration balanced, you can keep yourself more occupied, still in a comfortable familiar place (your kitchen), but learning to be healthier while you are in there!!!

I wish you well, I know that you can do this! Get some help and support, and enjoy healing, and living!

execfunc
02-08-14, 07:47 PM
Hey, psychopathetic. As difficult as it may be to believe, you can beat this!

First of all, excessive eating can be a form of addiction, and people with ADHD are highly susceptible to addictive behavior, as we are easily bored, suffer from frustration and depression because of what this disorder does to us, and we are more impulsive than most. I have personally beat alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, nicotine, and sugar addiction. This is not to boast, but rather to show that a.) ADHD predisposes us to such behavior, and b.) it can be overcome.

Second, and this may be the most important thing of all, this is going to take time, and you will have to be patient. You didn't gain all your weight overnight, nor will you lose it in that way. My fiancée, who also has diabetes, is struggling with this same thing right now. I remind her that it will take time, and she should be proud of herself for working toward this goal. You should too! Don't put too much pressure on yourself, as this will likely drag you down.

The Adderall is going to help you here, with your symptoms and with your appetite. Stimulant medication definitely takes the edge off of that gnawing hunger that comes when you're not hungry for food per se, but hungry to fill that nameless void. I've cut 25 pounds off of my weight since starting on stimulant medication last year, but it wasn't only the medication. Diet and exercise are vital.

I would recommend looking into a simple, low glycemic diet. Cut out sugar and foods with a heavy carb load. Learn to love vegetables, fruit, and nuts (in moderation). Have more meals, but make them smaller. Drink lots of water – no soda, and limit your juice and milk. I love lemon and cherry seltzer, myself. Just make sure you're getting enough protein, and consider a good multivitamin. Walking, which you've mentioned, is excellent! This constitutes the bulk of my exercise each day. Just 2-3 mile hike in the woods with the dogs each day has been a lifesaver for me for years. Just start with walking, and as you get into better shape, you might think about other, more intensive exercise. Just don't push it.

One day at a time, my friend. You can do it, and you know you can. It's hard and painful, but like so much else that we with ADHD struggle with, it will give you so much fulfillment as you see yourself making the progress that you were always afraid to make.