View Full Version : Loss of focus after school

Zephyranthes
01-29-14, 10:24 PM
I've been having a problem for a while now where I leave school with this sort of determination to do as much work as possible, only to come home and completely forget the feeling. My computer then proceeds to distract me from any possibility of work, and before I know it, the sun is down and I'm **** out of luck.

Anyone have any tips for keeping with that work-oriented mentality? I've been thinking it may be affected greatly by my choice to wait until I get home to eat lunch, and a general inability to fall asleep when I need to.

dvdnvwls
01-29-14, 11:12 PM
Your computer is not doing anything to you. :)

Don't try to keep the mentality; it's very difficult, maybe even can't be done. Instead, change something else. Changing the computer is easy. Use website blockers, browser blockers, internet connection blockers, whatever it takes. Or (if it's a laptop) put it in a locked cupboard, give your mother the key, and ask her not to give it back until 10 PM. :)

Fraser_0762
01-29-14, 11:15 PM
You can't maintain a work-oriented mentality all of the time. As long as you can maintain it when it matters most (in your case, school), then you're doing good.

If you're taking medication, it could simply be it wearing off and making you feel additionally less focused than normal due to the withdrawal.

Fuzzy12
01-30-14, 06:31 AM
Like DVD said, don't depend on will power alone. Use tools like internet blockers.

StayFocusd is really good but it works only with Chrome.

FocalFilter is a lot more basic but it blocks sites across all your browsers.

Zephyranthes
01-30-14, 05:06 PM
@Everyone
I never really thought to do those things. Always figured it was a problem within that should be solved, rather than simply obstructed. But hey, it seems effective enough, so I'll give it a shot.