View Full Version : Recently diagnosed. Adderall not working?

anon45742
01-30-14, 09:44 PM
Please bear with me, I'm sorry this is so long but I'm desperate!

I am a girl in highschool and I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and I was prescribed Adderall XR (10mg) pills and I have been taking it every day for about 3 weeks.

I've also have had tics since I was very very young. & I've never been diagnosed of tourettes.
After my Adderall wears off, (you know that feeling in your nose where you NEED to sneeze?) well, I will get a feeling in my stomach that I NEED to do my tics, but really bad!!! So I am worried about them coming back!

As for meds...!

The doctor started me on 10mg, and to go to 20mg if I didn't feel anything. Well, I didn't feel anything on 10mg so I went up to the 20mg the next day and I didn't feel anything on that either. So he told me to go up to 30mg.

On 30mg I felt calmer and I could get started on things a little easier. But as far as staying on task and being able to concentrate, etc, etc, I did not improve at all. After a few days on 30mg I called the doc to check in on how I felt taking it and he told me I could try going up to 40mg if I wanted. So I went up to 40mg the next day.

I have been on 40mg for about 5 days now. It is easier to fall asleep at night and I still feel calmer. Not as much zoning out & I also feel a small "comedown" off the XR when taking 40mg -I start to feel a bit anxious again about 7 hours after I take it. I just know the medicine has worn off.
But I am STILL finding it to be so difficult to stay on one task or to do any work for more than 10-15 minutes at a time! It takes so much out of me. I feel so ashamed when I make it appoint to do what I need to and it never ends up getting done. I am also having the worst time keeping friendships, getting into any relationships, and I've been having a hard time with family too.

Today was actually my 3 week checkup (approx.) with my doctor and I explained to him that I am still experiencing literally no significant improvement when taking 40mg. Today he told me we would try going up to 50mg and that after a week, if I need to, I could even go up to 60mg. He also said he would prescribe me Adderall IR to take after the XR wears off on days I need to be able function (a little better), longer.
So, today he prescribed me Adderall XR (25mg) 2 pills, every day with breakfast. As well as Adderall IR (only comes in 12.5mg) 2 pills when needed. Enough to last me two weeks until I meet with him again.

Basically my questions are:

Is 50mg of Adderall a lot?! *(Out of my friends who have ADHD and are also taking Adderall, the highest anyone told me they took was 30mg! With great results too! That's why I'm worried there is maybe something more wrong with me :eek: )

If you take meds for ADHD, what? and how much? and have you experienced tics?

I'm worried that it isn't going to change anything going up 10mg more with having almost no improvement with inattention so far.

sarahsweets
01-31-14, 06:00 AM
some would say 50mg is alot but the recommended maximum for adderall for an adhd patient is 40mg and for a narcoleptic patient is 60mg. I take 60mg and it works ok. Now, for the tics, have you considered clonidine?