View Full Version : trichotillomania anyone?

sdfkg334F
01-31-14, 12:26 PM
Hi,
Anyone has trich? What works for you?

sdfkg334F
02-26-14, 08:12 PM
As there doesn't seem to be a cure (http://www.trichstop.com/treatment/other/trichotillomania-cure) for trich in existence, all that you can do is try to decrease it to a manageable degree. Here are some tricks on how to deal with it:

- cover your nails
- use a special wig/extension
- talk to a someone (a professional who knows how to treat it)
- tell your friends (you'll be relieved, believe me)
- read books about it (plenty on amazon)
- eat healthy and exercise! (you'll be surprised but this goes a long way)
- sleep well
- manage your overall stress and anxiety levels

Hope this helps someone out there. And if you have trich - why dont you share your tips?

jeepster
02-28-14, 10:43 AM
The only thing that worked for me is Prozac 40mg

insert a name
03-17-14, 02:20 PM
Are you male or female? A short haircut can work well. I have a tick where I play with my hair that can go hours on end occasionally. So I just make sure I cut my hair short so the playing can't go on for long amounts of time.

Jenmomofem
04-16-14, 11:52 AM
My daughter has this. She started out with her eyebrows, stopped for 6 months then she went to town on her eyelashes. I observe this behavior when she is more anxious than normal. I think observation and awareness is the key to stopping. Most of the time she says she doesn't even know she is doing this. She is able to control things now that she's aware of why.

DichotOhMy
04-17-14, 02:02 PM
I have trichotillomania, but essentially only when I'm bored or otherwise unoccupied. If I stay busy, I never feel compelled to touch my hair. In my case, it's an aversion to curly/kinky hairs and a soothing sensation I get from running the plucked hair between my fingers. I really think it's an OCPD thing, as opposed to anything anxiety-related, or it's another symptom of hyperactivity.

N-acetyl cysteine, 500mg 2-3 times daily, has actually helped significantly with this for me - just as it is noted in medical studies to do. That's on top of the other benefits NAC provides.

Nicksgonefishin
04-17-14, 02:14 PM
I pick my arms when I'm bored sometimes. This was a coping mechanism since medicating for my ADHD I have noticed a significant decline in my picking.

I catch myself doing it when I'm medicated.

debbie12697
01-11-15, 07:46 PM
My 7 year old son has ADHD and Trich. Any advice for this worried mom?