View Full Version : Clonidine and excessive sweating

RJV1989
01-31-14, 01:32 PM
I have some questions about Clonidine for ADHD and excessive sweating. I suffer from ADHD and I sweat constantly on my hands and feet. I was diasnosed with hyperhidrosis. I have read that Clonidine is a stimulant that treats ADHD and sweating. Will this drug make me sweat less and have similar ADHD effects as Adderall does? I really dont want to have surgery to cure my sweating and was hoping Clonidine will help. If anyone has info on this please post and let me know! Thanks -Ryan

RJV1989
02-02-14, 10:54 PM
Anyone take Clonidine and notice reduced sweating?

john2223
10-02-14, 03:58 AM
I have some questions about Clonidine for ADHD and excessive sweating. I suffer from ADHD and I sweat constantly on my hands and feet. I was diasnosed with hyperhidrosis. I have read that Clonidine is a stimulant that treats ADHD and sweating. Will this drug make me sweat less and have similar ADHD effects as Adderall does? I really dont want to have surgery to cure my sweating and was hoping Clonidine will help. If anyone has info on this please post and let me know! Thanks -Ryan

I've never heard of clonidine myself, but there are a bunch of other treatments for hyperhidrosis you can take advantage of. I read on http://sweatthroughit.com that robinul is a great medication for stopping excessive sweating. However, you'll have to deal with some side effects like dry mouth or dry eyes.

RJV1989
10-16-14, 09:43 PM
I've never heard of clonidine myself, but there are a bunch of other treatments for hyperhidrosis you can take advantage of. I read on http://sweatthroughit.com that robinul is a great medication for stopping excessive sweating. However, you'll have to deal with some side effects like dry mouth or dry eyes.

Thanks for the link John. Ive tried Drysol and Certain dry but no success. Also have tried 1 medication in the past, cant remember the name of it but that didn't help at all. Ive met with a doctor about it and we talked about the surgery procedure. It's an outpatient procedure and it can be expensive but it's the most effective way to go. In and out of the hospital same day with minor pain afterwards. The success rate is high and it can be reversed by unclamping the titanium clips.

namazu
10-16-14, 10:30 PM
For what it's worth, I have been taking clonidine (Kapvay) for a few years and I have not noticed a decrease in sweating. (If anything, I've noticed an increase -- but other factors unrelated to the clonidine are probably contributing.)

I have also found that (for me) clonidine by itself is not as effective for focus as stimulants, but it helps some with physical hyperactivity and impulsivity. I'm currently taking both clonidine and Concerta.

Are you currently taking Adderall? I think that can increase sweating in some people -- but don't quote me on that. Have you always had hyperhidrosis (or at least, since puberty), or is it new since you started ADHD medication?

Are you pretty convinced you're going to try the surgery?

In any case, hope you find some relief.

RJV1989
10-18-14, 01:08 PM
For what it's worth, I have been taking clonidine (Kapvay) for a few years and I have not noticed a decrease in sweating. (If anything, I've noticed an increase -- but other factors unrelated to the clonidine are probably contributing.)

I have also found that (for me) clonidine by itself is not as effective for focus as stimulants, but it helps some with physical hyperactivity and impulsivity. I'm currently taking both clonidine and Concerta.

Are you currently taking Adderall? I think that can increase sweating in some people -- but don't quote me on that. Have you always had hyperhidrosis (or at least, since puberty), or is it new since you started ADHD medication?

Are you pretty convinced you're going to try the surgery?

In any case, hope you find some relief.

Yes I am currently on Adderall for ADHD. I'm also on 3 other medications for Depression and Bi-polar. Zyprexa, Trileptal, and Zoloft.

Ive dealt with the sweating problem since I was a child and it has gotten worse through my teenage years until now and i'm 25. I think I would benefit the best from surgery. Ive been trying to get social security disablilty benefits since I cannot work anymore. I'm really hoping i get it so I have income to pay for surgery with my insurance.

BellaVita
10-18-14, 05:11 PM
I took Clonidine for a few months to help my hyperactivity at night, it's off label (blood pressure medication), not sure if this helps but it didn't cause me to sweat extra.