View Full Version : Lumosity ...

agirlandherdogs
02-01-14, 03:00 PM
does anyone use this? it's starting to feel like I'm just sitting in the psych's office doing the evals for add/adhd all over again...

has anyone with ADD/ADHD actually seen any improvement using it?

pixelglitter
02-01-14, 06:35 PM
I tried it when it first started and was in beta. I thought it was okay, but I didn't see any real improvement. Maybe I didn't do it for long enough? /shrug

drb471
02-01-14, 07:01 PM
I had started using it after seeing the commercials. I figured it couldn't hurt. But once I realized you had to pay after a certain point, I stopped... so I can't say if it helped or not because I didn't use it enough. With the exercises I DID do, I think I can see where it would help with improving short term memory, especially if they got harder as it goes.

bouttime
02-01-14, 09:36 PM
I enjoyed it as a pastime but didn't some research just come out that said there is no evidence that using it actually improves anything?

grape_ninja
02-01-14, 10:18 PM
I tried the trial version a few times and only walked away frustrated

execfunc
02-01-14, 10:42 PM
A while back I read a few statements from neuroscientists to the effect that services like Lumosity et al. do not have any longterm effect on cognition and IQ. According to this article, that doesn't appear to have changed: http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/01/28/lumosity_cognifit_cogmed_are_these_kinds_of_brain_ training_games_worth_it.html

I'd say save your money! I've recently learned about Interactive Metronome, though, for people with ADHD. Dr. Edward Hallowell recommends it to some of his patients. I'm going to ask my therapist about it this coming week.

mildadhd
02-02-14, 07:03 PM
I've never tried Lumosity.

Mammals require a emotional relationship, with another mammal, to promote development best.

In early mammalian childhood, a fun emotional relationship, with another preferably emotionally eustressed mammal is best way to promote a learning environment.

I think something like a fun card game of crazy eights, or go fish, can promote development and can be fun.

(or kicking a soccer ball against the brick wall, go to the park, together) (for an hour a day) (etc)

Some essential mammalian child-primarycaregiver fun time together, drawing, counting, walking, what ever the child likes for a hour or so a day, etc.

Same supportive mammalian emotional relationship is also best, to promote a learning environment for mammalian adults with AD(H)D.

Peripherals

someothertime
02-02-14, 07:08 PM
it is good, though benefits are commensurate with usage ( pleasant stress... for me that was around 8 - 15mins a day ) ... which this product does well to promote.

i can validate the comments about long term "on demand" benefits diminishing, though at 15 mins a day... it's a line call... if you factor in "butterfly" effects... these tools might be undervalued. i.e. if you have not studied in several years... no amount of meds is gonna make you "methodical" for want of a better word... tolls like this can be an extremely valuable stepping stone in such circumstances.

( disclaimer: this message is intended to support the multitude of tools that extend and pleasantly stress one's application or neuroelasticity. in no way am i affiliated with the above product nor derive benefit from promoting it's use. readers are advised to make their own informed decisions based on product information and experience )

mildadhd
02-02-14, 07:26 PM
it is good, though benefits are commensurate with usage ( pleasant stress... for me that was around 8 - 15mins a day ) ... which this product does well to promote.

i can validate the comments about long term "on demand" benefits diminishing, though at 15 mins a day... it's a line call... if you factor in "butterfly" effects... these tools might be undervalued. i.e. if you have not studied in several years... no amount of meds is gonna make you "methodical" for want of a better word... tolls like this can be an extremely valuable stepping stone in such circumstances.

( disclaimer: this message is intended to support the multitude of tools that extend and pleasantly stress one's application or neuroelasticity. in no way am i affiliated with the above product nor derive benefit from promoting it's use. readers are advised to make their own informed decisions based on product information and experience )

I could see how Lumiosty, could promote development if the person with AD(H)D emotionally enjoys it.

Thanks Peripherals

Corina86
02-03-14, 11:15 AM
I find Lumosity quite annoying and insulting to my intelligence (which I do poses, despite my ADHD). The marketing is so obvious, in-your-face and obnoxious and for what? For a couple of computer games... Almost all games require attention, problem solving skills, memory, verbal skills or whatever other "cognitive function" Lumosity claims to improve. Yet, it has been proven in several studies (don't have links to them now, but I'm sure anyone can find them using google) that a game will only make you better at playing that game. Especially since you're playing for what, 15-45 minutes per day? Any white/blue collar job, but also school, books, even socializing are far more demanding of all your skills than these games. Not to mention the money you spend for this website. If you like it because you like the games, it's ok, but don't expect miracles. The BPI is a very tricky very wrongful measurement of your skills, since, if you look at how it's calculated, it can only go up as you play more games. This doesn't really mean that your brain has improved.

Amtram
02-03-14, 11:24 AM
Lumosity does a great job of teaching you how to play Lumosity games.

someothertime
02-03-14, 11:32 AM
yeah, the bpi is a little gimmicky but it's a good motivator...

i kind of equate this stuff to a poor man's neurofeedback... the games do adapt and get harder... it think that's ultimately why i stopped cause i had two poor scores stopped for a few days and found i was way below...

so yeah... what peripherals says about interaction and corina says about challenging activities both apply... realworld adaptable and fun application outlets that externally modulate are few and far between though...

Ericsson's 10,000 hour rule :eek: sums this domain well...

"although ericsson's perspective argues against the idea of innate gifts, his concept of deliberate practice does of course require a rare mix of motivation, good health and opportunity..."

http://www.psy.fsu.edu/faculty/ericsson/ericsson.exp.perf.html

mildadhd
02-03-14, 02:00 PM
Interesting stuff, I've been working on understanding ancestoral memory and hope to understand more about memory, in the future.

I haven't focused on learning memory much, thanks for the start.

I love the the quote below from the last sentence, in the link posted by Someothertime, in previous post.

The same acquired representations appear to be essential for experts' ability to monitor and evaluate their own performance (Ericsson, 1996; Glaser, 1996) so they can keep improving their own performance by designing their own training and assimilating new knowledge.

Thanks for the introduction to the information.

Peripherals

mildadhd
02-03-14, 02:11 PM
realworld adaptable and fun application outlets that externally modulate are few and far between though...

I could be off track...(learning)

I think it depends on the age (maturity) of the learner.

For example, at age 1, human infants are totally dependent on external factors for survival.

Before the age of 4-7, totally dependent

After age 4-7 , less dependent

After age 7-10 lesser dependent

After age 10-13 even lesser dependent

After age 13-18 even less lesser dependent

After age 18-21 more independent

Laymans

grape_ninja
02-06-14, 08:41 PM
I am about 5000% a Kinesthetic Learner. Lumosity I feel is relatively useless to me. Yes I did try it and only got frustrated by the fact that I couldn't do it.

concentrater
02-07-14, 08:50 PM
I think it depends on a number of factors: if you're sleeping well, exercising, and keeping your mind stimulated and taking on new challenges... You could check off these brain-boosting activities from a game or a number of things, depending on how dedicated you were. A study showed people who were genuinely interested in an activity benefited more than those who didn't.

There was a different study showing playing Super Mario induces structural brain plasticity: gray matter changes resulting from training with a commercial video game.

You'd need to do things tailored to keep your brain engaged in a variety of ways, whether it is focus, problem solving, or memory, etc.

This article suggests that brain training is good because it is meant to utilize cognitive research, but most of all because it's suppose to be fun.
http://blog.joggleresearch.com/post/66300411629/why-play-brain-training-games

sarahsweets
02-08-14, 07:28 AM
If you google brain training games and wade through the sponored ads you can find free ones and save yourself the money you would spend on luminosity. Aside from the fact that it doesnt treat adhd.

low_dopamine
02-26-14, 05:28 PM
I just tried it for the first time and I scored in the bottom 4% for "Attention." This means I have ADD, right? :-D

Jenn1202
03-07-14, 01:33 AM
I tried it. I might have improved my memory a little bit, but it did very little for my attention. I played their games a lot at first, before I got bored with them. But then I stopped playing.

InvitroCanibal
03-23-14, 01:34 AM
"Hello friend, are you sad or lonely, do you wish you could be more happy, then send one dollar to happy dude, remember happiness is only a dollar away." -Homer Simpson auto dialer scam.....

also consider that...

Just because they tell you it will grow flowers, doesn't mean they aren't selling you ****