View Full Version : Get on anxiety meds without Dr taking away Vyvanse?

huuuulllolisa
02-03-14, 02:22 PM
I have been on Vyvanse 50 mg for my combined-type ADHD for two months now, and so far it has been working well. However, I'm in college and have classes from 10am-5pm some days and is found that the Vyvanse just isn't cutting it, and I'm hoping for a dose increase at my next appointment. I have also suffered from OCD/anxiety issues for as long as I remember, but my doc decided that the anxiety was caused by my adhd.

I know that stimulant medications can make anxiety worse, but my anxiety is the same now as it ever was. I also experience it both on and off my vyvanse, so I don't think that the medication is causing it. My question is, how can I talk to my doctor about treating my anxiety without him taking my vyvanse away? I worry he will think the vyvanse is making me worse. In the past he jerked me off adderall because I complained of headaches and some agitation when coming off of it, even though I explained that it was probably due to my hypoglycemia and that I wasn't eating well enough on the medication.

Overall, the vyvanse is really helping. Is it even worth it to mention anxiety treatment?

someothertime
02-05-14, 09:10 AM
what triggers the anxiety... how long has it been present? is it constant or does it come and go in cycles? is there a possibility of other co-existing conditions? how does it manifest?

have you ever looked into non-medicinal treatment? do you take sugar or nicotine?

without action, it will stay... you got three options... doctor... active tools... or endure...

sarahsweets
02-07-14, 05:39 AM
do you have panic attacks?

Laserbeak
03-13-14, 10:00 AM
Yes, you can take both together and they work together quite well. I take Adderall and Librium.

Meteodan
12-17-14, 01:58 PM
I currently take both Vyvanse (50 mg) and Buspar (10 mg, split 5 and 5 in morning and evening), and the combination is working well. My psychiatrist has been working with me to try to find the right combination to treat both my ADHD and anxiety (with the former being by far the most impairing of the two). I think that a good psychiatrist would want to do the same for you, depending on your particular situation and severity of symptoms. Just be honest about your symptoms.

Maurice
12-18-14, 05:43 PM
I have been on Vyvanse 50 mg for my combined-type ADHD for two months now, and so far it has been working well. However, I'm in college and have classes from 10am-5pm some days and is found that the Vyvanse just isn't cutting it, and I'm hoping for a dose increase at my next appointment. I have also suffered from OCD/anxiety issues for as long as I remember, but my doc decided that the anxiety was caused by my adhd.

I know that stimulant medications can make anxiety worse, but my anxiety is the same now as it ever was. I also experience it both on and off my vyvanse, so I don't think that the medication is causing it. My question is, how can I talk to my doctor about treating my anxiety without him taking my vyvanse away? I worry he will think the vyvanse is making me worse. In the past he jerked me off adderall because I complained of headaches and some agitation when coming off of it, even though I explained that it was probably due to my hypoglycemia and that I wasn't eating well enough on the medication.

Overall, the vyvanse is really helping. Is it even worth it to mention anxiety treatment?

No your doctor shouldn't jerk you off your Vyvanse just because you suffer from anxiety. I have had many doctors that have had no problem prescribing me Adderall XR for my ADD and Valium, Ativan, or Xanax for my anxiety. Not a big deal or uncommon.

stanses
07-03-15, 09:09 PM
yeah if your vyvanse is helping you in school a Doctor that's professional should know themselves not to do that, I have a doctor right now like that that every time I tell him the truth he acts like a girl and wants to take me off my meds which actually infuriates me based on the fact that I need meds to live a normal life, I call them "kid doctors," as in, used to treating kids with ADD and not really adult doctors, everything you say scares them and it's honestly ridiculous.

stanses
07-03-15, 09:12 PM
I mean if vyvanse is helping you succeed and do well in life; then, why would doc think that no vyvanse would help you succeed, after adding a benzo, now you got a benzo and no vyvanse, is that going to help you focus, absolutely not, you'd be in shambles.

Bawstonlady
12-11-16, 10:36 AM
I've been taking 70 mg Vyvanse for 3 months and 300 mg Lamictal (150/2x) for years. My anxiety and irritability is through the roof. I can't go to Wal-Mart without sweating profusely from my head only. Thanksgiving my parents were an 1 1/2 hrs late and I was just hateful to everyone! I have to do something to combat the anxiety/irritability. My Dr is great about discussing different medication, esoecially the ones I googled and think are best for me personally.

What have you found to work best?

jkimbo
12-11-16, 02:14 PM
Damn pdocs can be so stubborn sometimes! YES you can have ADHD and anxiety, you can also have Bipolar and ADHD and just about any combo is possible and exists!

I have been on all the bezos there are. Hands down the safest, and most effective for long term use is Klonopin. They are intended for long term maintenance for social anxiety and general anxiety but not the best for panic attacks. Xanax is the best for panic attacks because it kicks in so fast and is stronger, but it only lasts for about 1 hr tops. Which is why they can become so addicting. There is no euphoria with Klonopin at all, and impossible to abuse, but damn is it wonderful for anxiety. You won't feel anything at all, but it is working!

If you get panic attacks that is going to be more difficult to address because generally docs will not prescribe xanax for very long because of it's addicting nature. Zoloft is a antidepressant that is suppose to address panic attacks and OCD and that's just a class 3, you may want to give that a try too. Pdocs will prescribe Zoloft in a heart beat it's perfectly safe and highly effective. I'm just not sure how it will inter-react with ADHD meds. Good luck!