View Full Version : recently diagnosed with bipolar and ADHD comorbid and prescribed Lamacital..questions

InvitroCanibal
02-04-14, 10:47 PM
It's odd to say but I think I always knew I was Bipolar. My mother is Bipolar and her Father and maybe further up than that I dont know.

My fear was that they'd commit me or force me to take Lithium so I hid it as much as I could I think. It was partly subconcious though or denial..im not sure.

I was prescribed Lamacital...the med that might make your skin fall off...ow. So my first question is have any of you taken Lamacital..did your skin stay intact...if not...im sorry. Second question is, were any of you diagnosed as non specific bipolar or premodial bipolar?

Lastly, how long did it take for the med to work..whatever you were prescribed and how did you know it was working? Good..bad overall has the treatment helped you?

Oh and Final question is are you taking stimulant therapy with your bipolar meds and did you take them while titrating the bipolar meds or visa versa.

That's it...ill try to check in again and hope someone responded.

Thank you and have a very good day :)

Andi
02-04-14, 10:59 PM
I'm Bipolar 2, rapid cycling. I take lamictal, 425mgs. I went from lithium comatose to awake and aware with the change. It took several years to even out my meds and allow me to function. Note that my depression was very deep and dark. Once I began the lamictal I also took geodon which made me sleep 12 to 14 hours a day. It wasn't until I took abilify with the lamictal that I came out of the depression. Went back to the geodon once I was stable.

Doc waited until I was stable before we added a stimulant. I decided to drop the stimulant because I didn't like feeling I needed it to function. I'm on enough meds that require me to take them to be a contributing member of society.

BellaVita
02-04-14, 11:16 PM
I started Lamictal while on Adderall IR 20mg x2 a day.

Unfortunately, had a bad reaction (mentally) to Lamictal and swung into an episode.

My skin did stay intact, though.

sarahsweets
02-05-14, 05:57 AM
I am BPII rapid cycling pretty much similar to andi. I have been stable on lamictal 500mg for 8 years or so. For me, it took about 6 weeks to get to the optimum dose because lamictal is a slow and steady does it kind of drug. If you take it super slow with increases that usually prevents the skin rash but not always. I look at it as a life saver really.

InvitroCanibal
02-05-14, 03:43 PM
I am BPII rapid cycling pretty much similar to andi. I have been stable on lamictal 500mg for 8 years or so. For me, it took about 6 weeks to get to the optimum dose because lamictal is a slow and steady does it kind of drug. If you take it super slow with increases that usually prevents the skin rash but not always. I look at it as a life saver really.

Ya, this is what my doctor said. He stressed for me to go slow, going up by 50mgs every 5 days. That prevents the rash/steve johnsons syndrome. I have not seen any first hand reports of the rash as of yet.

My doc diagnosed me as non specific, but my mom has mixed states with rapid cycling which feels similar to my situation.

Its odd but I notice a gender prevelance as well. It seems like women are more likely to get a mood disorder diagnosis. I tried to explain it to a few docs and they told me they didnt wanna give me that diagnosis or the meds because they cause erectile dysfunction and they'd hate to give meds that cause that because im in my 20s.

It is frustrating because I can feel extremely low but not be suicidal and have a ton of energy because of it. My depression is always marked by more energy, not less.

The other odd factor is men are more likely to get an ADHD diagnosis than women. I've read of quite a few cases of doctors discussing how their treatment resistant depressed female patients responded so well to ADHD meds. Its a shame they hardly look for both disorders in both genders.

Anyways, sorry for that tangent and thank you for your respones. Im trying to figure out what normal means for a bipolar person. I told my doctor that I didnt know what normal felt like because my whole life has just been a clock work up and down ride that completes every 1.5 years. December I hit my low, and june I hit my peak but some years the mania lasts into december, followed by a harder crash.

Ive been tired of it for a while now and unlike what they say, I dont like the ride. I always feel fake for it, even if I feel good, I know its not me and if I feel bad I dont think thats me either.

So is it in between the two? Just normal? Or would I mistake normal for depressed because its not a hypomanic state?

I guess its a wait and see. I just dont like going into something not knowing what it is im looking for. Afraid I might miss it, if that makes sense?