View Full Version : After the Escape

BellaVita
02-05-14, 12:37 AM
As many of you know, my boyfriend helped me escape from a very abusive situation that I had to endure for a lengthy period of time. (Abused by my parents - mainly my Dad)

Anyways, finding out there is aftermath.

I am very anxious all the time, lock myself in my room still out of habit, don't eat often out of habit (okay, for both of those and all of my weird "habits" acquired after the escape, I think it's safe to say they are mainly out of leftover fear), I also don't speak with people as often as I'd like and I do hide away.

I am also frequently depressed, as expected.

Also likely PTSD. (Always fearful and jumpy, have flash backs that are extremely unpleasant.)

I have yet to find a therapist, especially as I *may* be moving from my current location soon to be closer to my boyfriend.

If all works out, we should be married within a few months. :) (:D)

So yeah, there is aftermath. But it's all worth it. I am so, so glad to finally be free.

I will need to heal and learn that there *are* nice real people out there, people that truly love me and do not intend harm.

A big thanks to all of the members here who have supported me through this process, I really couldn't have done it without you all.

:grouphug:

anonymouslyadd
02-05-14, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the update. :)

sarek
02-05-14, 03:04 AM
Its going to be a process you will have to get through. But you have the advantage that you have a good idea what is causing it and you have the willpower to go about turning it around.

Besides, this daring escape shows what you are made of! I have faith in your ability to meet challenges.

BellaVita
02-05-14, 03:11 AM
Its going to be a process you will have to get through. But you have the advantage that you have a good idea what is causing it and you have the willpower to go about turning it around.

Besides, this daring escape shows what you are made of! I have faith in your ability to meet challenges.

Awww thank you! :) Those words mean a lot, especially coming from you.

Thank you.

anonymouslyadd
02-05-14, 03:13 AM
But you have the advantage that you have a good idea what is causing it and you have the willpower to go about turning it around.

Besides, this daring escape shows what you are made of!
^^^^^This is the truth. You're courage is unsurpassed.

BellaVita
02-05-14, 03:15 AM
^^^^^This is the truth. You're courage is unsurpassed.

Thank you.

:o

Fuzzy12
02-05-14, 04:39 AM
Bells, you've been through way too much. It's natural that even though you've now left the abusive situation there will be some lingering effects and they will take time and effort to work through. Be patient with yourself and I hope you can find a therapist soon.

It's not my place to say this and I could be wrong so feel free to ignore me but I'm not sure if getting married this soon is a good idea. Your boyfriend sounds like a wonderful man but I wonder if you maybe need some more time to work on yourself and just you know..grow your wings. I lived on my own for only a year (and that was in very sheltered student accommodation) before moving in with my boyfriend but I think, it might have helped to first learn to be independent and happy with just myself. If nothing else it might have helped with my self esteem. Also, marriage comes with its own set of problems. Have you guys considered maybe first moving in together? (You don't have to answer and again, I'm sorry if I'm overstepping my boundaries. Maybe you've thought about all of this and decided that marriage is the right thing to do and that's fine then).

stef
02-05-14, 04:43 AM
Bella! thanks for the update and really PTSD is to be expected....I hope you find a great therapist!
Just so happy for you :)