View Full Version : Are there vitamins/supplements that can help an ADHD person?

Traveler5
02-05-14, 03:02 PM
I've heard vitamin B 12 or B Complex is a good supplement for an ADHDer to take. If so, why would that be?

How much of a difference have they made to you?

Are there other supplements that help?

aphx89
02-05-14, 06:25 PM
I have tried sublingual b12 and b-complex(very strong with lots of folate). I did not try it for ADD. It gave a very good effect on my mood(especially in the start) and lifted some brain-fog.

Dopamine is made from the amino acid tyrosine, so supplementing this might(emphasizing MIGHT) increase dopamine…

Lots of other supplements revealed by google search…

As to why b12+b-complex works one can only speculate. B12 puts myelin on the nerve cells(if its not there they don't signal as well, but I think its rare to have a deficiency). B12 + B9 helps recycle the compound SAMe in the body(After SAMe does its job, B12+B9 converts it back to its active form). SAMe is used as an anti-depressant by some and is supposed to increase neurotransmitters. Serotonin and melatonin in particular I have read.

psychopathetic
02-05-14, 09:06 PM
I started to take L-Tyrosine which seems to really help me.

People take tyrosine for depression, attention deficit disorder (ADD), attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), the inability to stay awake (narcolepsy), and improving alertness following sleep deprivation. It is also used for stress, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), alcohol and cocaine withdrawal, heart disease and stroke, ED (erectile dysfunction), loss of interest in sex, schizophrenia, and as a suntan agent and appetite suppressant.

I'm really liking it (only been taking it for about a week now). I can definitely feel it helping me with alertness and not feeling so tired.

I've also recently started to take a multi-vitamin.

Dopes1
02-05-14, 09:16 PM
I've heard vitamin B 12 or B Complex is a good supplement for an ADHDer to take. If so, why would that be?

If it is, it's probably because people with ADHD get coronary heart disease in higher rates, and Vitamin B12 is ALLEGED to help prevent heart disease.

I've also recently started to take a multi-vitamin.

Per day? Or just one individual multi-vite?

Haha.

psychopathetic
02-05-14, 09:20 PM
You mean I'm suppose to take one of these horse pills...every freaking day!?! :eek:
lol

Dopes1
02-05-14, 09:24 PM
Tell me about it.

I have to take 3 dexamphetamine tablets twice a day, but the vitamin thing somehow just ANNOYS me.

dresser
02-06-14, 09:53 AM
wouldn't It stand to reason that when the soil is depleted of the nutrients and minerals (due to over growing with no replacement and pesticide use) that we would be affected,
and require an alternate choice.

Corina86
02-06-14, 10:26 AM
I take these tablets every now and then when I remember. Also take multivitamins and minerals, but neither affect my focus in any kind of way.

Lunacie
02-06-14, 11:51 AM
I started taking Omega 3 (fish oil) for hormonal issues.

When I stopped taking it, I realized how much clearer and more focused I'd been.

It was actually kinda scary to see how scattered I'd been my whole life. :eek:

I had never taken anything except Advil so it was a challenge for me to start taking pills every day.

I had to start taking a blood pressure med every day, and over time I've added Omega 3,
Vitamin D3, Vitamin B complex, Magnesium, and then an SSRI.

Before the Omega 3 I couldn't have remembered the names of all those pills,
much less remembered to take them every morning. ;)

addthree
02-06-14, 02:47 PM
If you do not like pills try and get the vitamins from food. Lots of foods are high in B vitamins.

Traveler5
02-06-14, 07:51 PM
Thank you for all the great input.

Today I started taking vitamin B 12, a B Complex vitamin as well as a fish oil supplement. We'll see what happens.

leveller
02-14-14, 05:10 AM
Be careful with supplements. From experience I would say first and foremost, do a body and mind check and try to analyse why you think you may need supplements as well as food.

Tiredness
Feeling low
Agitated
Short fuse
Lethargic
Can't sleep
Too much sleep
No energy
Sugar cravings
Anxiety
Too focused
No focus

... these are all natural body/mind issues that we all get, and we get them all for the right reasons. Too many supplements, or too much of a type of supplement can make you a lot worse. The list above, and other common issues that we all get, can be made worse, not always better. If you are trying to fix yourself, ask yourself:

Will drinking less tea/coffee/coke/fizzy drinks/alcohol/caffeine/colourings/flavourings/preservatives, make you better? Rather than carrying on drinking stimulants, would stopping drinking stimulants help you more?

Will eating less food/red meat/fast foods/sugars/gluten/yeast/oats/milk-powders/preservatives/colourings/flavourings make you better? Will eating more vitamin and mineral rich vegetables and white meats make you better?

Do you need to go to bed earlier, and establish better sleep routines? Makes the brain clearer and happier.

Do you need to exercise? Releases the happy hormones.

Sleep, exercise, no sugars, home cooked food, meditation and yoga - all work for me to keep my happy hormones flowing. This makes me feel healthier, happier, and creates a great self-image, higher self-esteem, fitter, more confident, more social, hold better conversations, more interested in others than myself.

If you feel anything negative is happening within your body or mind, question whether tablets are a genuine cure, or if they are a temporary fix, or even question whether you are just happily pumping your body with chemicals, synthetics, or plain unnecessary supplements - and question whether your body and mind are actually just requiring you to pay attention to them and dump the toxins and start looking after them better!

datajunkie
02-15-14, 04:45 PM
I suggest a book called the mood cure. Has some good info on amino acids and nutrition. Tyrosine, the herbal extract Olive Leaf extract both helped but not enough. Tyrosine has some contraindications, one for me as a freckle face is that it can make one sunburn more easily and increase chance of skin cancer.

B12, B6 and folate/folic acid can have different requirements depending on your genetics. Some people need specific types of each due to how their body processes it.

I have a high need for B6--type doesn't seem to matter a great deal for me. And also high need for zinc and magnesium. This is due to pyroluria, a blood factor that causes my blood to collect and excrete these more when I need them most under stress. I can now usually tell by a certain type of anxiety and head off the next symptom--white spots on my fingernails which indicates zinc deficiency. Might be worth checking out.

Other dietary factors I've found have all helped but not enough to prevent me from finally trying meds included some food and chemical sensitivity--much like the Feingold diet. I react badly to salicylates--aspirin related chemicals and some other phenols. Too many tomatoes or potatoes turns me into a space cadet within an hour. Other nightshades peppers and eggplant not so much. Herbs such as mint, wintergreen, and clove can also hit me hard. Not only eating or drinking but exposure through odors, topical creams like ben gay, toothpaste, mouthwash, chewing gum, many cleaning and personal care products like laundry detergent, shampoo, skin creams. Walking through a store with strong odors, tire shops, garden centers when the pesticies and weed n feed type stuff is stinking the place up, the cleaning product aisles, can all hit me in 10-15 minutes. This is due to low levels of enzymes needed to process them. May be adaptation to diet originally low in the sources of these foods. Highest concentration of most affected have genetics from northern and eastern europe plus the british isles. red heads more than others, possible neanderthal DNA? Australia has the highest percent of affecteds due to the immigrants from great britain.

Other diet factors that some react to are amines, oxalates, gluten and lactose intolerance, not allergies. all due to enzymes and metabolic load.

Avoiding the triggers and making sure I stay up on my vitamins and minerals helps a good deal but for me, I finally ruled out everything I could and decided to try meds. Also had my sex, thyroid and adrenal hormones balanced first.

Tyrosine and perhaps DLPA may be enough for some but not me. I hate taking medications and was very concerned about trying ADD meds. Now I wish I'd found them long ago. If diet and supplements work for you that would be great. Do check for contraindications. And if not enough, may help enough to keep dose minimal on meds.

Fraser_0762
02-15-14, 05:17 PM
Vitamin B6 & B12
Vitamin D
Magnesium
Omega 3
Zinc

I have to be honest. I'm never consistant enough with this stuff to notice a huge amount of benefit. But i'm sure people who stick with it, do experience long term benefits.

Lunacie
02-15-14, 08:05 PM
Vitamin B6 & B12
Vitamin D
Magnesium
Omega 3
Zinc

I have to be honest. I'm never consistant enough with this stuff to notice a huge amount of benefit. But i'm sure people who stick with it, do experience long term benefits.

There is one other person here and myself who have reported being able to detect the effect

of taking - or not taking - Omega 3 within just a few days.

Unmanagable
02-15-14, 08:44 PM
Be careful with supplements. From experience I would say first and foremost, do a body and mind check and try to analyse why you think you may need supplements as well as food.

Tiredness
Feeling low
Agitated
Short fuse
Lethargic
Can't sleep
Too much sleep
No energy
Sugar cravings
Anxiety
Too focused
No focus

... these are all natural body/mind issues that we all get, and we get them all for the right reasons. Too many supplements, or too much of a type of supplement can make you a lot worse. The list above, and other common issues that we all get, can be made worse, not always better. If you are trying to fix yourself, ask yourself:

Will drinking less tea/coffee/coke/fizzy drinks/alcohol/caffeine/colourings/flavourings/preservatives, make you better? Rather than carrying on drinking stimulants, would stopping drinking stimulants help you more?

Will eating less food/red meat/fast foods/sugars/gluten/yeast/oats/milk-powders/preservatives/colourings/flavourings make you better? Will eating more vitamin and mineral rich vegetables and white meats make you better?

Do you need to go to bed earlier, and establish better sleep routines? Makes the brain clearer and happier.

Do you need to exercise? Releases the happy hormones.

Sleep, exercise, no sugars, home cooked food, meditation and yoga - all work for me to keep my happy hormones flowing. This makes me feel healthier, happier, and creates a great self-image, higher self-esteem, fitter, more confident, more social, hold better conversations, more interested in others than myself.

If you feel anything negative is happening within your body or mind, question whether tablets are a genuine cure, or if they are a temporary fix, or even question whether you are just happily pumping your body with chemicals, synthetics, or plain unnecessary supplements - and question whether your body and mind are actually just requiring you to pay attention to them and dump the toxins and start looking after them better!

:goodpost: