View Full Version : Autistic Brains Create 42 Percent More Information During Rest

fracturedstory
02-05-14, 06:41 PM
Some good news: http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1113060546/autistic-brains-more-active-during-rest-013114/

Turns out we just can't stop thinking. Except when I'm around people then I'm just blank, then I relax, and start thinking about others things and miss a huge chunk of the conversation.

I'm now wondering what makes my constant mental chatter happen: autism, ADHD or bipolar - or all of them? The sleep issues too.

I relate to the 'thinking more at rest' thing - usually when I sit down to write I get stuck, then I move away from my computer, either onto my bed or go have a snack and then I'll get a flood of ideas. That's why I was up til 1am writing more of my screenplay. Still couldn't sleep after that.

When I watch TV I thinking about 10 different things in my head and have to push myself hard to focus on the TV. Usually I have to eat when watching TV to bring me back into the world.

Flia
02-06-14, 08:02 AM
The constant changing topics, not finishing a thought is suppsed to be ADHD.

Vector
02-06-14, 05:33 PM
Yes, Fractured, I have a hyper scared brain too. Therefore we are prone to brain overload (brain going blanc). These hyper-scared-brains definately need ideal surroundings to function, but when they do function, very interesting stuff can be produced. :)

fracturedstory
02-07-14, 01:45 AM
The constant changing topics, not finishing a thought is suppsed to be ADHD.
One symptom does not equal an ADHD diagnosis.

Fortune
02-07-14, 01:56 AM
And most symptoms are shared among multiple diagnoses.

Thanks for posting this. It is consistent with what my brain does at rest. It's like I can't always figure stuff out actively but when I'm at rest ideas and solutions tend to come up.

Ken2013
02-12-14, 01:50 AM
Some good news: http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1113060546/autistic-brains-more-active-during-rest-013114/

Turns out we just can't stop thinking. Except when I'm around people then I'm just blank, then I relax, and start thinking about others things and miss a huge chunk of the conversation.

I'm now wondering what makes my constant mental chatter happen: autism, ADHD or bipolar - or all of them? The sleep issues too.

I relate to the 'thinking more at rest' thing - usually when I sit down to write I get stuck, then I move away from my computer, either onto my bed or go have a snack and then I'll get a flood of ideas. That's why I was up til 1am writing more of my screenplay. Still couldn't sleep after that.

When I watch TV I thinking about 10 different things in my head and have to push myself hard to focus on the TV. Usually I have to eat when watching TV to bring me back into the world.

There's definitely some crossover between ASD and ADHD.

From my primitive readings, the Sleep-Wake Cycle is disrupted in both conditions, which causes the vast majority of us to have Insomnia and thoughts running through our mind for hours on end.

There's already research which suggests that Melatonin (NOT the homeopathic one) can make it much easier for ASD / ADHD people to fall asleep on time.

Fortune
02-12-14, 01:55 AM
There's homeopathic melatonin?

Ken2013
02-12-14, 02:11 AM
There's homeopathic melatonin?

For some stupid reason, REAL Melatonin in Australia is only available by Prescription. You can't even lethally overdose on it, unlike Caffeine. The ones sold OTC in Pharmacies are Homeopathic, ie no active ingredient --> expensive sugar pills.

I import mines from America for a much cheaper price compared to the prescription ones here, but am limited to a 3-months' supply for each shipment.

Fortune
02-12-14, 02:19 AM
Wow, that's ridiculous. I purchased a bottle of 120 3mg tablets for $4 US at the start of the month. It helps me sleep.

The first time I took melatonin, I had an unusual experience*, but fortunately that was a one time thing.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

Ken2013
02-12-14, 02:23 AM
Wow, that's ridiculous. I purchased a bottle of 120 3mg tablets for $4 US at the start of the month. It helps me sleep.

The first time I took melatonin, I had an unusual experience*, but fortunately that was a one time thing.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

Yeah it's ridiculous. But then again, we can get Codeine OTC in low doses, as opposed to America where it's prescription only. :rolleyes:

I NEED Melatonin to shut my mind off at night, otherwise I have "mental chatter" for at least 3 hours in bed.

I like that the Melatonin increases my chances of getting Vivid Dreams, sometimes it's better than watching the movies!

Fortune
02-12-14, 02:28 AM
Oh, definitely.

My vividest dreams were on Effexor, though. I remember one dream I was standing on a beach and looked down and could see all of the individual separate grains of sand.

Corina86
02-12-14, 08:12 AM
It's a very interesting study in this article, but the interpretation...well, there are some other good interpretations in the comments section of the article.

fracturedstory
02-12-14, 10:15 AM
It's a very interesting study in this article, but the interpretation...well, there are some other good interpretations in the comments section of the article.

Don't you believe my interpretation is good enough?

Dawn Potter said something interesting (I'm Two-Step btw) but it doesn't sound like it's coming from personal experience.

I make up movies in my head when I'm idle, what do you do?

Note: Manic, it's 1:17am etc

Corina86
02-12-14, 10:46 AM
@ FracturedStory

Yes, your interpretation is good enough, but so are the others. This means it takes more research in this field. Frankly, I can't comment because I'm not autistic, I just happened to come across this article some time ago. I tend to believe Dawn Potter because I can relate to her comment better, since I also process things much better when I'm not surrounded with sensory and information overload. But, again, it's just me- your experience it's probably a lot more relevant since you actually have Asperger's.

I make up movies in my head, too, actually :). Not very good ones though...

liveandletdie
02-12-14, 02:07 PM
interesting...