View Full Version : Thinking I need to stop wellbutrin. Anything else work that is not an ssri?

littlesmg88
02-05-14, 08:06 PM
Been on wellbutrin sr 100mg 2x daily for a month now.
past few weeks I've become much more easily frustrated, extremely irritable, and getting raging mad over dumb things. I don't like the person I've become. I have a lot of stress in my life right now. However I don't want to go back on an ssri because I got seritonin syndrome from zoloft and my adderall xr.
Really hoping my doctor can help me find the right combonation :(
Suggestions on what else to try??
I seriously wish they made happy pills.
I don't even feel affectionate anymore. I'm hateful and inconsiderate.

sarahsweets
02-06-14, 05:54 AM
do you take this for depression or adhd?

littlesmg88
02-06-14, 08:00 PM
depression. called my doctor she said to stop taking it. I see her next week to try something else. So far she spoke about celexa but that's an ssri.

425runner
02-06-14, 10:00 PM
How do you know you had serotonin syndrome? I'd go for an SNRI this time if I were you. Celexa made me very tired and sleepy, yes - I felt more loving and empathetic but lacked the motivation and drive Wellbutrin gives me.

Perhaps switch to Wellbutrin XL? The SR gave me horrible anxiety and made me angry at everyone/everything.

What happens when you go without anti-depressant?

nonalori
02-07-14, 11:53 AM
Hi. The two should not even be compared. More about that below.

First of all Wellbutrin is for those with a stay-in-bed type of. 'mood.'
It is NOT for the anxious/anxiety person.... Wellbutrin might make anxiety worse.
Pristiq Brand (NOT its sister venlafaxine generic) an SNRI, is smoother than Wellbutrin and a little more motivating than sedating like Wellbutrin.

Acording to statistics, SSRI's like Prozac for example, are for the overly anxious.
If you don't need the added weight gain, SSRI's may be wrong for you.
You might ask your prescriber if you could try an SNRI.

DOSE: Slow as you go... WITH BRAND.
If you can't afford brand meds, you can find assistance. It takes time...
Patience is bitter but it's fruit is sweet. When you begin to notice good effects from your RX, you could try to half your dose, if permississible, OR take normal dose every other day.
Side Note: we are not supposed to drop RX suddenly -the experts tell us.

The difference between Wellbutrin Brand and its generic bupropion (even Sandoz/Eon generic) If young you might not notice which is what the generic manufacturers hope.
WELLBUTRIN BRAND: good sense of smell returns, taste buds come alive, enhances hearing, see brighter colors, Memory with a capitol M.. It's startling.. little memories that you have long since forgotten start returning. Who wouldn't get happier? Please get the brand.
There are coupons on the Web, however ask first. Many pharmacies like the free advertising but get rude when you bring out the coupon!

Okay... I am not in the medical field. Please follow up with your own research.
Don't assume my opinion, or anyone elses, is right for you.
The best of luck. nonalori

littlesmg88
02-08-14, 09:03 PM
My doctor told me to stop the wellbutrin immediately so I did on thursday. I see her wednesday. I was off meds while pregnant and I did not feel grounded or with it. I hated it. Currently I am up and down with my moods but not as nasty and mean and aggressive. Obviously I am currently going through the wellbutrin leaving my system and not having any antidepressants. I was told by 2 different doctors I had had seritonin syndrome due to the symptoms I told them about and how much better things were when I finally stopped taking my zoloft (that was causing the seritonin syndrome)

littlesmg88
02-09-14, 02:12 AM
it did help with movtivation, actualyl got things done for once. But the aggression and irritability and easily frustrated with my 10 month old is too much to sacrifice

425runner
02-09-14, 10:38 AM
I couldn't agree more....I'm currently taking 1,500 mg l-tryptophan at night, just before goin g to bed on an empty stomach and quite impressed with the results. It increases serotonin so I wake up feeling calm, content and certainly not irritable. It's just like a natural SSRI but much milder and no side effects.

You may want to try that...I also take l-tyrosine and l-phenylalanine as a replacement for Wellbutrin. Not as strong but they do improve focus and the l-phenylalanine puts me in a good mood.

littlesmg88
02-12-14, 12:37 AM
well dr. appt in 12 hrs wish me luck. not sure anything else exisits that isnt an ssri or ssnri:(

Greyhound1
02-12-14, 12:47 AM
well dr. appt in 12 hrs wish me luck. not sure anything else exisits that isnt an ssri or ssnri:(

I have had very good results from taking the supplement Sam-e. I take 400 mg. a day. It has worked much better for me then any of the many SSRI/SRI's I have tried. It is very safe and I have had no side effects. My Dr . even said it was beneficial to several of her patients.

It has worked well for me for almost a year.
Good luck