View Full Version : Quick Med Advice PLEASE - For Tonight

BellaVita
02-06-14, 05:26 AM
I'm kinda falling into a depression

I'm tempted to take my full 10mg of Lexpro tonight (that's what I'm prescribed) instead of the 5mg.

I'm also *slighly* hoping it'll make me feel good.

So, to clarify: I'm not doing anything wrong. That would be my prescribed dose. But I take less of it because of my hypomania tendencies.

Well????

Fuzzy12
02-06-14, 07:12 AM
Lexapro is an SSRI, isn't it? I don't have specific experience with lexapro but as far as I know SSRIs need to build up in your body before they have any effect, so I'm not sure that taking an increased dose today will make any difference TODAY.

For me, when I started taking SSRIs the side effects kicked in fairly soon..within a few days (so did the positive effect) so I think you might have a bit of an unpredictable result (though if you've been taking 5mg for a long time the side effects will probably be less than if you just started taking lexapro).

Or are you saying that from today on you want to take 10mg of lexapro and continue taking 10mg? I don't see a problem with that. I'm just not sure if it will help you today.

A better quick fix for depression might be cardio vascular exercise, which releases endorphins instantly but I think you are fairly active anyway...

Whatever you do hope you'll feel better by tonight. :-)

sarahsweets
02-06-14, 08:35 AM
BellaVita;1613270]I'm kinda falling into a depression

I'm tempted to take my full 10mg of Lexpro tonight (that's what I'm prescribed) instead of the 5mg.

I'm also *slighly* hoping it'll make me feel good.

So, to clarify: I'm not doing anything wrong. That would be my prescribed dose. But I take less of it because of my hypomania tendencies.

Well????

Its important to try and remain consistent with these meds especially if its an ssri. It might seem ok but they really work best when you take them everyday.

BellaVita
02-06-14, 05:01 PM
Thanks so much Fuzzy and Sarah.

I was in pain last night and depressed etc (still am but yeah) so not exactly in "right mind"

I ended up not taking 10mg.

I don't want to risk it. I'm gonna wait til I have a new pdoc and talk to him about it.

(Last time I tried jumping up to 10mg it threw me into a hypomanic episode that lasted quite a while)