View Full Version : Is it possible that I have OCD?

MusiciansWish
02-07-14, 09:38 PM
My anxiety is rarely mild...RARELY and it usually drives me to the point of having never ending obsessive thoughts that usually are related to health and disorders. I will sit on a computer and research for hours on end, just to try and relieve my anxiety. . .just to have it temporarily relieved, but made worse after about three minutes.

Getting rid of obsessive thoughts are impossible for me. Once it gets going...it gets going to the point where I will either forget to eat because of research or it cuts into my sleeping or class time. Some times my anxiety lead me to fear taking my adhd medication...Like I wouldn't even bother touching the bottle.

Now I just want answers, I think a ton of things is wrong with me and now I am suspecting OCD. Yes, I have told my psychiatrist numerous times about my anxiety...and it just feels like I am not even getting any sort of help. This is really running me into the ground.

What do you guys think, by chance?

Nicksgonefishin
02-07-14, 11:43 PM
It sounds like anxiety. You have anxiety about your anxiety... Tell your doc about this.

Researching endlessly online doesn't help.

Ask yourself what you would do once you had whatever answer it is you're searching for? Would it affect your decision making? If not don't bother with it. Be mindfull and focus on the now.

Perhaps an ssri or SNRI would help with your GAD.

MusiciansWish
02-07-14, 11:52 PM
It sounds like anxiety. You have anxiety about your anxiety... Tell your doc about this.

Researching endlessly online doesn't help.

Ask yourself what you would do once you had whatever answer it is you're searching for? Would it affect your decision making? If not don't bother with it. Be mindfull and focus on the now.

Perhaps an ssri or SNRI would help with your GAD.

That's the thing. I've told my doc about this multiple times....I really feel as if I am not getting any sort of help or advice from him. I know I need help, but I'm not getting it. Period.

I'm tired of the obsessive researching...and the panic attacks...and the spells of crying. I try to keep myself from researching, but it's really difficult. I feel as if the only way to keep myself from going nuts is if I attempt to figure out what's wrong with me.

I try not to bother with it, but when I try to just leave it alone my anxiety gets worse and then I have this nagging urge to go back to looking up stuff. Even when I ask myself those questions and try to divert my mind from the problem, I some how end up researching and spending a vast majority of my time looking at scientific journals and books and what not.

dvdnvwls
02-08-14, 02:12 AM
If, in all those journals and books, you haven't found the answer yet, then seriously it's time to block yourself from the internet. The fact that it's taking the vast majority of your time means that if there were solutions online you would have found them long ago. The research is done - you've finished - no answers are going to come from research.

Does the psychiatrist seem to believe he's helping you?

And does he know all about your obsessive researching, including how much time you spend at it?

What is he saying, that isn't helping?

MusiciansWish
02-08-14, 02:44 AM
If, in all those journals and books, you haven't found the answer yet, then seriously it's time to block yourself from the internet. The fact that it's taking the vast majority of your time means that if there were solutions online you would have found them long ago. The research is done - you've finished - no answers are going to come from research.

Does the psychiatrist seem to believe he's helping you?

And does he know all about your obsessive researching, including how much time you spend at it?

What is he saying, that isn't helping?

I have no clue if he thinks that he's helping me, I am not him. It seems as if he just shrugs it off and just focuses on my ADHD, since after I got on a suitable medication, it wasn't exactly a problem.

Yes, yes he does. He knows all about the fact that I spend immense amounts of time and what not.

That's the thing...he says absolutely nothing...does absolutely nothing. He'll focus on the ADHD, which I don't have a problem with at the moment....and just not focus on my main concern. The concern that's doing the most "damage".

And...to set the record...I attempted to block myself from the internet. Multiple times. Did that solve anything? Nope. It certainly did not. It made things unbearably worse. Just because there isn't any answers...doesn't mean that it's done...that everything's just going to get magically better. Unfortunately for me no answers just aggravates the issue. Understand?

Corina86
02-08-14, 09:13 AM
I think you should definitely change your doctor and go to an experienced psychiatrist. Ignoring these issues isn't a solution. By the way, what kind of medication are you taking? Could they be making your anxiety worse?

daveddd
02-08-14, 09:27 AM
i thought that was hyper focus

Nicksgonefishin
02-08-14, 11:01 AM
He is trying to redirect your focus. If you stop obsessing about what might be going on and switch to what is going on you will have less time to obsess. Maybe I said that backwards. If you focus on the now you will have less time for the past.

MusiciansWish
02-08-14, 07:26 PM
He is trying to redirect your focus. If you stop obsessing about what might be going on and switch to what is going on you will have less time to obsess. Maybe I said that backwards. If you focus on the now you will have less time for the past.

Too bad it's easier said than done.

MusiciansWish
02-08-14, 07:29 PM
I think you should definitely change your doctor and go to an experienced psychiatrist. Ignoring these issues isn't a solution. By the way, what kind of medication are you taking? Could they be making your anxiety worse?

I take Ritalin 10 mg 4 times a day. Strangely enough, they don't make my anxiety worse. If I take my Ritalin, the anxiety stops until well after it has worn off.

I've tried Strattera as well and that eliminated my anxiety. I literally could not think of anything troubling...and nothing troubling popped into my head, even when I was faced with a stressful situation.

BellaVita
02-08-14, 07:33 PM

When it comes to OCD one doesn't exactly have that ability....

Practical advice and whatnot doesn't work for OCD.

MusiciansWish
02-14-14, 03:38 PM
Trying to get in touch with my psychiatrist, but due to an ice storm everything has closed down and out of power. Geez. Now is the perfect time for them to be closed.

Corina86
02-14-14, 06:29 PM
Why did you give up on Strattera? It sounds like it was good for you.

MusiciansWish
02-14-14, 11:39 PM
Why did you give up on Strattera? It sounds like it was good for you.

Because I got free samples, not the actual prescription..so i ran out of the stuff that actually worked. I was doing great at 40mgs, but I ran out like i was supposed to and went to the 80mgs as my doctor ordered... The side effects were horrible. chest pain, dizziness, headaches, terrible insomnia, and anxiety after the third day on 80mgs.

agirlandherdogs
02-14-14, 11:43 PM
Because I got free samples, not the actual prescription..so i ran out of the stuff that actually worked. I was doing great at 40mgs, but I ran out like i was supposed to and went to the 80mgs as my doctor ordered... The side effects were horrible. chest pain, dizziness, headaches, terrible insomnia, and anxiety after the third day on 80mgs.

then why not back down to the 40 where you said you were doing great? if I was doing great on something regardless I stay the heck there no matter if it was conventional or not!

MusiciansWish
02-15-14, 03:16 AM
then why not back down to the 40 where you said you were doing great? if I was doing great on something regardless I stay the heck there no matter if it was conventional or not!

Like I have mentioned in the previous post. I was getting free samples and ran out of the stuff that worked....the 40mgs. I had one week worth of 40mgs. Ran out of those. Had to take 80's for three weeks but had to stop because of side effects.

Can't go back to something that I don't have. - _ - and my psychiatrist is a little over an hour away. . .well. . . that's with all of the psychiatrists around here. Either they're far away or they don't treat adults with ADHD. I can't win for losing.

I'm trying to make an appointment to discuss my intense anxiety and possibly get more Strattera.