View Full Version : long term effects on brain from Strattera

lazymanthuggin
02-08-14, 08:19 PM
Hello,

Adderall did nothing for me, so my psychiatrist gave me a prescription for strattera. I was a little bit anxious about using adderall because I know that long term use can lead to depleted dopamine receptors. Will strattera do the same thing to my norepinephrine system?

jossefjossef
02-20-14, 12:27 PM
You should check with your psych.
Best wishes

Dizfriz
02-20-14, 01:25 PM
Hello,

Adderall did nothing for me, so my psychiatrist gave me a prescription for strattera. I was a little bit anxious about using adderall because I know that long term use can lead to depleted dopamine receptors. Will strattera do the same thing to my norepinephrine system?I don't know as much about Strattera but I do some about Adderall so I will discuss that because I think others may be concerned about this drug. I did some looking and except for some monkey studies, I am not seeing much on Adderall and dopamine depletion when used as directed. Keep in mind that Amphetamines have been used in treatment for ADHD for over 70 years.

What we do see is that abuse can cause a lot of problems including ahedonia (lose of pleasure) when abused over time.

Here is one study of 10,071 people who take Adderall with 52 reporting having experienced Anhedonia. http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/adderall/anhedonia

I suspect that Stattera will follow a similar pattern but again if you have concerns you should check with your doc as jossefjossef recommended. I think you should do this with any medication you are taking.

Good luck,

Dizfriz