View Full Version : Is this an ADD trait?

Greengrasshoppe
02-08-14, 10:24 PM
I always have to be "occupied." It's not an intolerance for boredom exactly, which is an ADD trait, I believe. It's more like a general impatience. For example, I don't usually put my fork down while I'm eating because I don't want my mouth to get empty. As long as there's food in front of me, I have to be chewing it. Odd huh? Or after I post a question online (that Im hoping to get responses to), I have to go do something else to occupy my mind while I'm "waiting."

Nicksgonefishin
02-08-14, 10:45 PM
You're asking if impatience and finding distraction to calm said impatience is a part of ADHD?

My answer would be an emphatic yes. It's why we have trouble with standing in lines or sitting in traffic.

Chicky75
02-09-14, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I'd agree too. It's probably why I can't really sit alone and watch TV or a movie. Now if I could only get myself to channel that into cleaning, sorting through junk, etc. while watching instead of playing facebook games!

Hawutwut
02-11-14, 01:43 AM
I can easily get lost in tv or movie but would rather be doing projects which amounts to flailing around a lot but slowly getting them done over months. Or getting distracted and posting on forums... :D

janiew
02-11-14, 02:07 AM
Yes, I prefer to be busy and it doesn't always mesh with my social/relationship/familial objectives or what others expect. There can be eye rolling and "really" around me. But there is also strong appreciation for what I do.

I am a good cook / chef and a decent cleaner.

I am good with little children. Good with most age kids until they know better than me - which is generally not the case.

And I am adventurous and athletic in my own way. There is a lot of fun...

Try to look at the pros and cons - blacks, grays, whites - the good with the bad/not so good. Weigh it out and find a happy medium.

Yes, I'm sure someone will come along and say I'm being trite, or whatever...

zilphy
02-13-14, 08:05 PM
This is ADHD. Bored or not, we crave stimulation. I focus on my strengths and try not to beat myself up for having a different interest every week/day. I have to keep my mind entertained.

Jtsqueek
02-15-14, 05:47 PM
most definitely! I just cannot not be doing something! and waiting is agony! I can't even just watch TV, i have to be doing something with my hands at the same time, even if its my favourite show, usually means I miss half of it

Dracona
02-16-14, 05:28 AM
yup most definitely

asuwriter
03-05-14, 12:27 PM
Yep, it drives my husband crazy. I'll be watching a show and get this strong urge to check imdb in the middle of it because an actor looks familiar. it gives me anxiety to not do it. Even when I'm watching my favorite shows, I'm thinking about how I need to google some random fact floating around in my mind. My preschooler is the same way; he turns on a Disney movie, gets through the trailers and the first 5 minutes, and then turns on the ipad to play a game while he listens to the TV. I try to discourage this but if he ends up being ADD, too, it's probably a lost cause. :rolleyes:

AntiSocial
03-05-14, 01:21 PM
While I was reading your topic I had a sudden revelation...I should have gone to sleep hours ago but instead I am here on the computer just doing whatever I can to keep occupied. In a way it seems as if though even sleeping becomes a mundane task and I appear to be procrastinating even when it comes to sleeping.