View Full Version : addiction to high stimuli things

Doc Holiday
02-09-14, 11:44 PM
Hello everyone,
I have a problem, I spend too much time on high stimuli things (like video games etc).This leads me to lose track of time, and not get other things done. Please give me some much needed advic.

Thank you

BellaVita
02-09-14, 11:46 PM
Sounds like you have ADHD :)

Do you take medication?

Doc Holiday
02-10-14, 12:16 AM
Yes, adderall IR & clonidine, and my psychiatrist is wanting me to try strattera as well. My meds work fine, my major problem is how to control my hyper focus.

BellaVita
02-10-14, 12:28 AM
I honestly have no idea how to help you with that

Sorry

Doc Holiday
02-10-14, 12:39 AM
It's ok thanks for trying. I'm wondering if this thread should be moved to the forum resources, Tools & Organizational Tips

CosmicDave
07-21-14, 07:09 PM
It's ok thanks for trying. I'm wondering if this thread should be moved to the forum resources, Tools & Organizational Tips

Try PM'ing one of the admins and asking about where this thread belongs so hopefully you can find the right answer. I have the same problem so best of luck!

peripatetic
08-07-14, 09:30 PM
i've moved your thread to the requested section. in the future, yes, feel free to message staff with any move requests; we're happy to assist :)

miss anarchy
08-07-14, 10:03 PM
The most successful thing that I have found that helps with hyper focus is to have a cranky partner nag you till you stop :p.
100% guaranteed success rate, I should know since I have been on both the giving and receiving end of said 'tip'... mostly the receiving end though :/ :).

Seriously though, maybe try setting an alarm or having someone call you to help make sure you get things done on time :) .

ThisVibrantLife
09-11-15, 09:48 AM
I never thought to ask about this myself. I find myself only being able to sit still and focus when i'm tumblr looking at all the finer things in life or playing video games like you. There has to be a way this can be used to our advantage.

Shamindo
03-30-17, 01:45 PM
Hi Also had this problem up until a year ago. I was so upset that I could no longer sit and read a book because the stimuli just didn't compare to the other things I had occupied myself with. Basically I had to reset my taste for stimuli. It was hard, and depressing, but the slower things started to become interesting again and now I don't even want to go back to high stimuli things. I do have the odd day where I might binge on tv shows or play hard fast loud music. But generally I've really enjoyed the change and feel my life is much richer.
Things I've noticed have helped me avoid high stimuli:
1. Podcasts! Yes, if I go for a walk and listen to some great podcasts that really helps me slow down for a while. There's some pretty awesome ones out there. What ever your interests (video games) I'm sure you'll find a radio program you could listen to. I also listen to them to help me stay on task when I'm cleaning.
2. Occasional detoxing from the internet. 4 or 5 days is good enough for me. I make a point of planning to fill my time before going on it. visiting family, if they are using internet that's not the same as me using it...so I wouldn't avoid them just cause they have the tv on. exploring parks, museums, road trips, what have you
3. Delaying my electronic gadgets for as long as possible first thing in the morning. (outside of the radio or podcasts, I will stay off the internet, shows, fast music, and gaming until after lunch).
4. Waking up at the same time every single day, even on the weekend. This is crucial with any addictive type thing. It's also helped me with my eating disorder. But it's much easier to pace yourself.
5. When I'm feeling super anxious with the quieter and slower things, and crave high stimuli, I find White Noise really helps me calm down. There's a great App for White noise, it has all kinds of white noise. I also use this to help me study.
6. Drinking more water apparently helps us regulate ourselves better. I didn't believe this after a pharmacist told me, but I was desperate to quit smoking (which goes hand in hand with high stimuli) and found it actually did help level me out a bit.
7. Having a transitional activity when planning to come off the stimuli, for example...ok 20 minutes more of game time then I'm going to make lunch and go do this....the best transitional objects I have found are things where I will also be getting stimulated but not over kill...like having a shower, eating, getting dressed, talking to someone.

Hope that helps.