View Full Version : This World We Live In Makes Me Depressed ***Possibly Triggering***

BellaVita
02-10-14, 12:20 AM
Sorry for my spammy nature as of late.

Just some thoughts....

Sometimes the world is chaotic and so disheartening to live in....

People aren't treated right, mercy isn't given and people are crazed.

So many desperate, hurting people in the world. Makes me hurt.

They all need someone.

But we can't be everyone's friend.

Some people are longing for peace, clinging to anything, some clinging to nothing...

And that's when it gets dangerous.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to just let go of the world.

But I am trying so hard to hold onto love and people I love and fight for it all

Fuzzy12
02-10-14, 05:16 AM
I've said this so often that I'm afraid it's getting stale but Bella, you are one of the people that make this world a better place to live in. That's all you can do, I think.

It makes me hurt too. Sometimes it's unbearable to think of all the people (and animals!!) that spend most of their life in misery. Sometimes I can't believe my luck to have been born into fortunate circumstances. I mean, you know, what were the chances?? Sometimes it makes me feel guilty especially since I'm not doing anything to alleviate anyone else's misery. On the contrary, I seem to add to it more than anything.

Maybe the only way to deal with this is to let go. You probably know the story of Gautama Buddha. He was the son of an Indian King. He grew up (according to the legend) in a very sheltered, protected way and the first time he came into contact with poverty, sickness and unhappiness was when as a young man he ventured for the first time outside his palace. He was shocked by what he saw...and well (according to the legend) his way of dealing with it was to detach from the world (detach with love, in the sense of not being blind or callous but recognising (or believing) that the material world is transient and that true happiness and fulfillment can only come from inside). Well, this is my rather inaccurate and highly biased interpretation.

Stay as you are. Spread your love. Be good (to yourself too). Maybe that's really all we can do. :grouphug:

stef
02-10-14, 05:25 AM
I've said this so often that I'm afraid it's getting stale but Bella, you are one of the people that make this world a better place to live in. That's all you can do, I think.

I can't say it any better! :grouphug:

sarek
02-10-14, 05:34 AM
The world is indeed fundamentally and thoroughly sick. It is much worse even than almost anyone can even suspect, and perhaps that is a good thing too as it would easily lead to widespread panic or defeatism.

I think lots of us here have had this feeling in one way or another for a long time. I know I've been walking around with these thoughts for decades, which is what made me look for answers and finally got me into spirituality. Not as an escape, but as a way to actually understand and help looking for answers.

Its one thing to be fighting for good causes, and that too is necessary but equally as often this leads only to ever increasing levels of conflict. Understanding and transcending works much better for me.

Hawutwut
02-11-14, 01:18 AM
I have felt that way too... I am not going to preach or whatever, but just sharing my own situation, my faith answers some of the questions I have and gives me some understanding. There are lots of things in this world that suck.

I will also add that there is good in the world. And the news only tells us about the rare, and worst of it. You can get a distorted perspective. Yes, there are terrible things happening that cannot be downplayed (horrific violence in the Central African Republic, for example) but there are wonderful things that happen too like reunited family, babies born. The news doesn't report good news. Just bad. i don't keep score, but I don't watch the news a lot either. I know everything that happens isn't all bad.

Yes, there's a lot of pain out there, but you are one of the folks on here that brings healing. So there's that, at least.

LordranBound
02-11-14, 10:56 AM
It's funny - being someone who feels that their life has been more pain than ease, I have an antagonistic relationship with the world/the earth. I feel very much the minority in this (antagonism). I seems that everyone loves the nature and the earth so much. Yes, I feel nice when I hang out outdoors, but it was the impersonal, thoughtless machine that is evolution that created us. Evolution created nature, in a way, IS nature. It created us not to be happy, but to survive. It's a wonder the world isn't worse - we were created as selfish, competing gene machines terrified of pain and suffering and programmed to 'adapt' to happiness so that when you become happy, it becomes a new baseline and you need to strive to be happy again.

In a way, I believe that this is a very affirming view of humanity. Despite what we were created as (what nature created us to be), look at how well we all live together. Seriously - yes there is violence, but if you look at it from an evolutionary aspect, hooray for sympathy and empathy because they're the glue that keeps it together. We live in a mostly peaceful society despite bad programming and all the crap that the unfeeling world throws at us (natural disasters, birth defects, disease, etc)

Yay us! ;)

Lunacie
02-11-14, 11:57 AM
Before the internet, before television, before radio, people only heard about local disasters.

They weren't overwhelmed with the amount of disaster, desperation and despair in the world.

They helped their friends and neighbors, and when something happened clear across the country

or across the world from them, they didn't know about it and it was left up to the friends and

neighbors in those places to help.

Bella, you have a good heart and wish you could help everyone, but it's not possible.

You have to pick the things that matter the most to you to spend your energies or resources on

and remember that sending good thoughts or prayers to the others is helpful too.

stef
02-11-14, 12:06 PM
...and you've always been very kind to me, and others here, when you've had so many of your own problems to deal with! that means a lot.

Raye
02-14-14, 07:25 AM
Bella sadly I agree with you...the world just does not seem right. The hurt, sadness and chaos in the world today also makes me sad.

imo the ones who are lonely, depressed and want to belong are usually the ones to join a cult or break the law. Negative attention is better than no attention.

Candyman
03-02-14, 09:23 PM
My take on the world is different than most people. I find humans to be a big herd of brainless sheep, that many people call lemmings. They have no real thoughts or opinions of their own. They just do what the rest of the herd does. On the other hand, this was probably a good thing 1000's of years ago. No race or country could survive if everyone was an individualist and went their own way. So evolution probably hardwired it into the brains of most people to be a lemming, as a means of survival. Today they are allowing themselves to be lead by an evil and corrupt elite, that isn't concerned about their survival or well being. Every person who dies, is one less mouth they have to feed, and it doesn't matter what your race, color, creed, sexual orientation, or social class is.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Rebelyell
03-02-14, 09:30 PM
Just cause your in it doesn't mean you have to be of it my mom use to tell me. That's why you be the etter person and take the higher road.I agree w the lack of compassion and caring and most people are beyond selfish.

mctavish23
03-02-14, 11:52 PM
Look At It This Way...:)

As A General Rule, I'd Say Most People Tend To Suck :mad:

However, We All Pretty Much LOVE You :yes:

Soooo, Deal With It :D

U R Welcome :cool: