View Full Version : Spring Crafts

Digitl
03-18-05, 11:06 PM
Hello everyone,

Spring is coming and i thought i would share some of the craft ideas we (the kids and I)came up with last year for our garden.

My son came home last year, and told me he had entered us in a contest...i said ''WHAT??? :eek: :confused: :eek: . The contest was for the best looking garden in town. There was different categories , so i said why not. Only problem, i did not have lots of money to invest. So i told the kids, lets try to make the cheapest, and most original garden we can. the kids really got into it.
Anyhow, the only thing that i had to put money on, was the flowers, and some paint. So maybe 50$ all together.
So the next posts i will show you a pic of what i did , and how i did it. Maybe it could give you ideas for you own garden...

And please if you have ideas yoursefl,,, post them, i am always on the look out for new craft ideas.

Digitl
03-18-05, 11:12 PM
These are 2 little crafts i did, with the cheapeast little plant pot you can find. Second hand stores and garage sales almost gives them away...:)

I used a hot glue gun, to stick everything together, decorated with raffia, and other little material flowers, planting a plant that looked like hair, and voila...my boy and girl pot plant. :D

Ps: if you have questions about it, please ask...it is a very easy project to do

Digitl
03-18-05, 11:21 PM
There is this big tree in my yard, so we thought we had to make something special about it. So we decided to make a magic tree.
My son buitl the door, from wood we found in the dump. We paint it it, put rocks all around the tree. Those rocks we pick up at a farmers land, every year they take rocks out of their field, so we had plenty of rocks. About 20 loads of car trip lol, we wash them one by one, and put some yogourt on it, because it give it a old kinda greenish look, because of the bacteria is produces or something.. Works great on terra cotta pots also.
Dumps some black soil, planted flowers , puts all kinds of little thing in it...We also painted rocks and put words on it, like respect, love, smile, welcome ect.

Digitl
03-18-05, 11:29 PM
This pic is the side of my house.. i took the pic early in the summer, so my flowers are not very big...everywhere there is green pole i had a sunflower growing there.

In front of the pic, i turned this log into a potting plant. With a drill i made lots of big holes , to help scoop out a lot of the inside , made a drill hole all the way thrue so water can evacuate, put soil and flowers and it lasted all summer .
I made another potting guy, and sat him down, in the front. The butterflies were painted by the kids, and the rocks also.
I also used , like you can see in the stair in the pics a very rusty old pot to plant flowers. You can used everything to pot plants, In the front of the house ( the picture never came out good :eek: ) i had put all my flowers in straw basket, that i hung on a wooden rod. You can find basket for 25 cents, i an second hand store or garage sales.

Digitl
03-19-05, 09:44 AM
This guy i call my voyeur... I saw a pic in a magazine and thought it was really great.

The binocular are made of recycled cans, You paint the eyes at the end of the cans. The arms, and head are separate pieces screwed in the fence.

stori813
03-22-05, 06:01 PM
My backyard has big flower beds in it. With fairy's,cherubs,swans,gnomes and rocks I've painted. This Spring I'm adding a magic tree. I love your idea digitl. It looks so cute in the pictures. Every yard should have a magic tree in it. Thanks for sharing your idea.

fasttalkingmom
03-22-05, 08:37 PM
Great job !!!

witsend
03-25-05, 03:30 AM
HEY Digitl!! I LOVE YOR GARDEN!!! My yrd needs SO MUCH WORK!!! I'm gonna use some of your ideas!! If I need help or have ?'s I'll ask ya!!!

Digitl
03-25-05, 12:36 PM
HEY Digitl!! I LOVE YOR GARDEN!!! My yrd needs SO MUCH WORK!!! I'm gonna use some of your ideas!! If I need help or have ?'s I'll ask ya!!!
I am happy i could help give you ideas, i will be posting more during the weekend.
And for sure if you need help ask away :D

witsend
03-25-05, 12:40 PM
yeah it sunny today so maybe I'll get started on my yard.....maybe.... we moved in Nov & my old yard we worked on for 3 years to get it where it was..still not done but this yard is like a blank canvas...which terrifies me......:)

Digitl
03-25-05, 04:51 PM
yeah it sunny today so maybe I'll get started on my yard.....maybe.... we moved in Nov & my old yard we worked on for 3 years to get it where it was..still not done but this yard is like a blank canvas...which terrifies me......:)
I wish i could be there to help ya lol, i love to start at nothing. :)

witsend
03-25-05, 05:34 PM
its not that I 'm S-s-cared or anything it's just so much work. Don't get me wrong I don't mind the hard work, & i love to play in the dirt. It's just so hard to decide what to do & what to put where. I must change my ideas about 1,000,000 X !!!!

gypsysway
03-28-05, 06:52 AM
hey witsend, sketch out your yard and mark the way the sun comes up and moves across your yard and shade the areas accordinglly. then start filling in the areas allowing for growth and drainage with your favorites. the areas that are tricky put a piece of art!

witsend
03-28-05, 02:06 PM
Thanks Gypsy! I've considered doing that ---but you know how us ADDers are! PROCRASTINATERS!!!

Digitl
03-28-05, 05:32 PM
This is one of my favorite site,,,lots of how -to questions and ideas...

http://www.webguru.com/

Ideas to create creative and frugal garden decor pieces for cheap.
Gardening on a dime. That’s exactly what you can do if you are frugal and know what to look for. Decorating your outdoor rooms is like decorating your indoor rooms, but more fun!

Garden décor can be anything from birdhouses, birdbaths, and garden furniture to metal junk pieces, large round balls, old garden gates and more. Shop at garage sales, flea markets, salvage stores and thrift stores. You can find unusual items at all these places. It may just take a little patience. Consider it a treasure hunt. When you find that special item it will definitely be a conversation piece in the garden. Look for items that have shape and style. Imagine how you can use an item differently than what it was intended for.

Ideas for cheap garden décor---

1. Don’t throw old boots or shoes away. Plant succulents or herbs in them and make a grouping on your patio or in the flower beds.
2. Get your old bowling ball out of the closet and place it among some plants. Put three together if you have them. You can even bury one halfway into the ground.
3. Do you have broken terra cotta pots? Lay one on its side and have a plant spilling out of it.
4. Use other pieces of broken pots to make a mosaic table top or stepping stones.
5. Make a birdhouse out of old wood.
6. Stand a piece of fencing that a neighbor may be throwing away in a garden bed and grow a climbing vine on it.
7. Throw an old serape you find at the thrift store over an old chair for more color in your garden.
8. Find a piece of windmill or any old item and place it in your flower beds leaning up against the wall of the house.
9. Driftwood is free and looks great beside flowers.
10. An old wood stove makes a great planter.
11. After pruning, use those branches to make a unique trellis.
12. A scarecrow can easily be made from old lumber and old clothes. Use your imagination! Make two…one a man and the other a woman!
13. Use those old marbles, old broken china dishes etc. to make a mosaic bird basin, stepping stones or birdhouse.
14. Place old mirrors outside to reflect the beauty in your garden.
15. Use pine cones to make a wreath or roll them in peanut butter and bird seed and hang for the birds.
16. Turn an old trombone into a fountain.
17. Hang an old (even one that doesn’t work) chandelier on the porch above a comfortable sofa with outdoor cushions.
18. Take old pieces of metal that have good shape and group together in the garden. If you group like things together in odd numbers they will make more of a statement.
19. Place empty pots that are similar on a shelf that you put on the side of your fence. Put ceramic ones that have like colors (for instance, all are bold colors) together and do the same. You can always put plants in them later if you want.
20. I had a friend who bought an old Christmas ornament from a large department store for pennies. It was purple and metallic. It measured about 3 feet in diameter. She hid it among some yellow flowers and it looked great.
21. My father-in-law found a 6 foot diameter plastic golf ball out of the dumpster at his work one day. He works at a golf course and this ball had once been part of a sign post. I painted it a bright blue and put it in my garden among the flowers and always had laughs and compliments on my big royal blue ball.
22. Use your imagination when it comes to garden décor. Don’t overcrowd your garden. Leave room for your eye to rest and each object will be noticed more.
23. Take the time to find those unique items and things that will endure the outdoors.
24. Don’t be afraid to ask for something sitting out on the curb waiting for the trash truck.
25. Shop in places you normally wouldn’t think about shopping for garden décor. You might be surprised at what you find!
========================

Nucking_Futs
03-28-05, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure how much we are going to get done since we've ripped up the entire backyard to replant grass seed and are planning on building a moveable deck...I am always getting tired of the way my yard looks and hubby thought a sectioned deck would be perfect for me, if I'm tired of it I just pick it up and move it. lol I will try and scan the design and paste it. We are also in the process of getting two tree's removed so I doubt that I'll be doing the tree house anytime soon but loved the idea.

witsend
03-28-05, 05:59 PM
I put that link into my favorites to reference later. You should be a consultant of some kind Dij!! I'm printing your list to put into my ,as of yet unstarted:),garden folder. I'm gonna do what gypsy said too, about "mapping" my yard--shadow & such. when I get it going I'll post some pix (if I can figure out how).

Digitl
03-28-05, 06:09 PM
I put that link into my favorites to reference later. You should be a consultant of some kind Dij!! I'm printing your list to put into my ,as of yet unstarted:),garden folder. I'm gonna do what gypsy said too, about "mapping" my yard--shadow & such. when I get it going I'll post some pix (if I can figure out how).
Yes do what Gypsy said,,, that is the best way to start a garden and yard.
I like to do a lot of things...you know jack of all trade but master of none,,,,that is totally me. I should be a consultant on ideas, and when it,s time to put ideas together, and make plans i would pass it to someone else lol...:p

witsend
03-28-05, 06:11 PM
I know what ya mean!!:D

clawless
04-14-05, 10:02 AM
I love the little flower pot men, they remind me of being a kid watching Bill and Ben the flower pot men. Were they easy to make?????? if so please give me the details of how to do them as i'm sure the boys would have great fun making them with me.