View Full Version : Racing Thoughts and Mood Stabilizers

BellaVita
02-11-14, 03:45 PM
Okay so was wondering,

*what* causes the racing thoughts to subside/slow down when it comes to a mood stabilizer being used to treat these symptoms and the condition?

Anyone know what the mood stabilizers mechanisms, neurotransmitter targets, any studies that show how the brain (bipolar) is affected/reacts to them etc.?

I am specifically interested in how mania(and hypomania) is affected by various mood stabilizers.

Any material or resources of sorts would be wonderful.

Thanks so much!!!! :)

daveddd
02-11-14, 04:07 PM
thats a good question, most likely its unknown

one thing to consider, that each emotion ,( and I'm not positive which one(or more) is prevalent with racing thoughts ), has its own physiological correspondence

that may be something to consider

whats the blood pressure med that helps ADHD ?

eclectic beagle
02-11-14, 04:13 PM

Isn't it intuniv? Er, I think so, anyway.

BellaVita
02-11-14, 05:14 PM
thats a good question, most likely its unknown

one thing to consider, that each emotion ,( and I'm not positive which one(or more) is prevalent with racing thoughts ), has its own physiological correspondence

that may be something to consider

Thanks, yeah great points to consider

Thanks for mentioning

I shall ponder. :)

Hmmm I think Clonidine (and others)

TygerSan
02-11-14, 05:24 PM
Intuniv I believe is long acting guanfacine, which is a little cleaner in terms of mechanism of action than clonidine. Both of them are alpha agonists and blood pressure meds. Good for hyperactivity, limited evidence of efficacy on memory, sketchy evidence for attentional benefit,

eclectic beagle
02-11-14, 05:42 PM
There are some interesting things about Intuniv, it seems to combat anxiety in a number of ways. It reduces sympathetic arousal, weakens emotional responses of amygdala, and strengthens prefrontal cortical regulation of emotions. These same things naturally have the potential to improve attention span.

daveddd
02-11-14, 06:06 PM
There are some interesting things about Intuniv, it seems to combat anxiety in a number of ways. It reduces sympathetic arousal, weakens emotional responses of amygdala, and strengthens prefrontal cortical regulation of emotions. These same things naturally have the potential to improve attention span.

Ritalin dampens emotional reactivity in the amygdala as well

Part of the emotionally salient distraction theory

Correct me if I'm wrong I know very little about the physical

Concerta did calm racing thoughts for me until I became tolerant

daveddd
02-11-14, 06:08 PM
I believe abilify also calms physiological arousal

It has in people with sensory issues

eclectic beagle
02-11-14, 07:05 PM
Ritalin dampens emotional reactivity in the amygdala as well

Part of the emotionally salient distraction theory

Correct me if I'm wrong I know very little about the physical

Concerta did calm racing thoughts for me until I became tolerant

I doubt I'd be able to correct you, you seem to have a more general knowledge about this stuff than I do!

Concerta was a mixed bag for me, I don't seem to be able to tolerate stimulants very well.

Also, might seem like a basic question, but do stimulants strengthen prefrontal cortical activity? It's coming across to me that intuniv works in a more multi-faceted way than stimulants, but admittedly my knowledge of the latter is lacking.

daveddd
02-11-14, 07:08 PM
id ask tygersan

daveddd
02-11-14, 07:09 PM
in bipolar racing thoughts are generally seen in states of high arousal

i need to do some checkin

daveddd
02-11-14, 07:41 PM
what fits better for you bellavita
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19515428

BellaVita
02-11-14, 07:47 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out better after my rest :)

Appreciate the comments

daveddd
02-11-14, 08:22 PM
bellavita,

i know you have asked about psychobiology a few times

here are a few good pages on the psychobiology of bipolar for when your bored:), came across it while trying to find what I'm looking for , for the thread

http://books.google.com/books?id=6bs_dW8lq0oC&pg=PT557&dq=allan+schore+bipolar&hl=en&sa=X&ei=o7v6Uo7vJqiY2wW9x4GYCA&ved=0CD0Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=allan%20schore%20bipolar&f=false

BellaVita
02-11-14, 08:25 PM
bellavita,

i know you have asked about psychobiology a few times

here are a few good pages on the psychobiology of bipolar for when your bored:), came across it while trying to find what I'm looking for , for the thread

http://books.google.com/books?id=6bs_dW8lq0oC&pg=PT557&dq=allan+schore+bipolar&hl=en&sa=X&ei=o7v6Uo7vJqiY2wW9x4GYCA&ved=0CD0Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=allan%20schore%20bipolar&f=false

Rest unsuccessful so far lol

Ooooooooo *squeal* thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!

greystealth
03-05-14, 12:32 AM
Okay so was wondering,

*what* causes the racing thoughts to subside/slow down when it comes to a mood stabilizer being used to treat these symptoms and the condition?

Anyone know what the mood stabilizers mechanisms, neurotransmitter targets, any studies that show how the brain (bipolar) is affected/reacts to them etc.?

I am specifically interested in how mania(and hypomania) is affected by various mood stabilizers.

Any material or resources of sorts would be wonderful.

Thanks so much!!!! :)

There are many disorders on the schizaffective spectrum that are believed to be caused by overactivity at the D-2 and D-5 Dopamine receptors. Mood stabilizers help in that they partially block dopamine receptors from being able to receive the dopamine neurotransmitter, thus stabilizing the mood.

Daydreamin22
03-05-14, 03:07 AM
I desperately need the whacky thread: