View Full Version : Anyone else w/ADHD agitated by SSRI's?

mrs. dobbs
02-12-14, 08:54 AM
Does ADHD have anything to do with feeling agitated on SSRI's? Anyone's ADHD impulsiveness or bluntness get worse while on SSRI's and not on ADD meds?

daveddd
02-12-14, 09:11 AM
it did when i went to high, had to back the dosage back down

40mg prozac
40mg buspirone

someothertime
02-12-14, 09:34 AM
I took them for a week - lowdose ( no stims in combo - did you mean this? )... they pretty much zombified me... so I could undertake actions... very robotic...

I guess, they could have made me more blunt... which it the kind of opposite of agitated... in that I had a student get oppositional with me and I really didn't care... So could have responded quite unempathetically...

mrs. dobbs
02-13-14, 01:56 AM
it did when i went to high, had to back the dosage back down

40mg prozac
40mg buspirone

I had a hard time with BuSpar. How long did it take to work?
Prozac was the first very agitating med I took. Even at low doses. I wonder what the heck is going on?

mrs. dobbs
02-13-14, 02:06 AM
I took them for a week - lowdose ( no stims in combo - did you mean this? )... they pretty much zombified me... so I could undertake actions... very robotic...

I guess, they could have made me more blunt... which it the kind of opposite of agitated... in that I had a student get oppositional with me and I really didn't care... So could have responded quite unempathetically...

Hah I had this exact experience when I started my first SSRI in 1994. I suddenly did not know how to relate to people - at all. Feelings and social understandings went missing. I felt like a rude robot. For example I was in jewelry making class and my classmate was using a tool I needed and instead of my normal previous behavior of waiting my turn politely I walked up to him in a robotic fashion said "I need this." and tried to take the tool out of his hand. He looked bewildered. A small tug of war ensued as I stared blankly at him. He said "I am using this right now." In my head I was like "what the hell is happening?" And let go without any apology, defense or expression. It was weird as hell and I haven't been right since.

When I said blunt I meant impulsive blunt/sharp (pfff) things coming out of my mouth which happens when I am overstimulated/agitated/on SSRIs.

sarahsweets
02-13-14, 05:34 AM
I am bipolar as well and they were brutal for me.

Arei
02-13-14, 05:47 AM
My doctor thinks I may be mild bipolar, and I take Symbyax which is a combo of fluoxetine and olanzapine. It keeps my stable. SSRIs have always kept me LESS agitated than more. Though none of them really worked that well before, I would always be a little less angry.

The only thing that made me furiously irritable was Abilify. I was ready to kick some faces in, over nothing! Abilify is a stimulant that "lifts" people out of funks, and Symbyax helps bring people "down" and keep them level. I needed the leveling out, and it's been perfect.

stef
02-13-14, 06:15 AM
they turned me into a complete zombie (prozac, prescribed by a GP here in France).
my husband asked me to please stop taking them, as I was watching tv with my mouth open....

I know they work wonders though, but I don't think it was the right med for me at all!

Dopes1
02-13-14, 06:25 AM
Yeah, SSRIs (escitalopram and venlafaxine) didn't help me. Made me worse.

daveddd
02-13-14, 07:16 AM
I had a hard time with BuSpar. How long did it take to work?
Prozac was the first very agitating med I took. Even at low doses. I wonder what the heck is going on?

i don't remember, more than a month

its the only combo that really does anything for my depression

daveddd
02-13-14, 07:17 AM
paxil made me a wacked out mess

ADDiAnni
02-25-14, 11:52 PM
Prozac made me manic or hypo manic. Lost tons of weight, didn't sleep, spent tons of $, became socially crazy, etc. Tried others and then settled down on Wellbutrin or the extended release Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin also didn't cause anorgasmia.

Corina86
02-26-14, 05:46 AM
Escitalopram (Cipralex) made me a lazy zombie and it also gave me nose bleeds and gut bleeds. And I would sleep 10-12 hours/night and still feel tired. I only took it for 3 months though, because the constant apathy and lack of energy was making me depressed. I felt that I wasn't living my life in anyway anymore. I'd rather live with anxiety than with that.

mrs. dobbs
03-06-14, 02:48 AM
What you all say makes me wonder if I have some sort of bipolar thing going on.

But... Wellbutrin is a nightmare for me.

As for SSRIs -- so were Effexor, Celexa. I got not only anxious but paranoid and mildly delusional. Paxil as well. It destroyed my life for a time. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I felt 'in trouble' and would hide under the bed when people passed outside of my house. 15 years later I still can't shake the effects of Paxil and Zoloft.

425runner
03-07-14, 09:34 PM
Yup, the same thing happened to me! I would be sitting on the sofa eating and drooling all over myself...husband said this wasn't right. Then Celexa was tried at a low dose but the side effects were brutal. Wellbutrin made me angry, irritable bitc* also very impulsive and not pleasant to be around. Pfoof...new psych doc was suggesting Cymbalta. I don't know...maybe I'll try Zoloft..

they turned me into a complete zombie (prozac, prescribed by a GP here in France).
my husband asked me to please stop taking them, as I was watching tv with my mouth open....

I know they work wonders though, but I don't think it was the right med for me at all!

Rebelyell
03-07-14, 10:07 PM
No quite the opposite, w out them I get very agitated.Now that could come from wd but im alot calmer when im on my meds.

BellaVita
03-07-14, 10:20 PM
SSRIs make me cray cray...

Think they cause rapid cycling/mixed episodes

After this last episode I simply quit

Actually helped bring me down a bit

HADDaball
04-08-14, 10:05 PM
Yeah. Felt fidgety.

Pilgrim
05-30-14, 07:44 AM
Ive used them all. Zoloft Effexor Prozac and a few others I definitely can't remember. I saw the benefit of them but some of the side effect I grated my existence. The emotional celling and feeling weird. I think I became aggressive cause I understood how bad I was. Something big was wrong here. So Then i stopped them ;and tried to exercise my way out.

It's a learning experience, I talk to my cousins and they are just like me. The SSRI s give them the horrors.
When my Psyciatrist suggested that I take an SSRI for anxiety with Concerta I was skeptical but it's worked out well. It seems to enhance the Concerta and alleviate the anxiety .
Sweet

hollywood
06-05-14, 01:10 AM
So which ssri worked well with comcerta