View Full Version : A start

fasttalkingmom
08-03-03, 11:58 AM
Yesterday I got my "lauching pad" in order. At first I was looking for a book self in stores that work for me. Then I realized I had something I could use that was already in my kitchen ! It was filled with "stuff" So I didnt think of using it earlier.

Cleaning the "stuff" off this lead me to other areas in my kitchen that I reorganized..... I went with the moment....

My kids told me they love what I did and said "the kitchen looks bigger" !

We may even be able to eat at the kitchen table again ....lol... I haven't seen the top of the table in months. That's a hard thing for me to admitt... :o

I'm feeling so good about what I've done.....

Now I have to work on keeping this way.... :(

Tara
08-03-03, 12:06 PM
You man people actually eat on their kitchen tables? I knew my table had some other purpose instead of just collecting my junk...lol

Great job cleaning. It must be such a great feeling.

You are right keeping it that way can be a real challenge. Maybe if you try to designate a specific time each day to mantain the area that could help.

joanrdtobe
08-03-03, 05:51 PM
Good deal Paula....keep it up:) And enjoy eating at your kitchen table:)

Slowpoke
08-04-03, 12:12 AM
Hi!
It`s great to hear that you`ve started to use, or have been using some of the stuff in the book!
I havn`t lived in a place where I could have one, but I will be moving to a one bedroom townhouse on campus. It`s going to be a small place (531sq. ft, including stairwell) so I`m worried about all my stuff...
Anyway, I was wondering how you`ve set your launching pad up. I need some ideas, so when I move in I can have on ready to go for me.
The main issue I will have is that I can`t really do anything major to the walls that will leave marks. I do have a three interlocking cube storage unit that I was using in my closet. I really want to cut back on the `junk area` I create when I come in the door and dump my stuff out on the floor near the bed. I also hate scrambling around in the morning.

Anyway, let me know what you`ve done, what you`ve tried, what works for you and why.

THanks!
~M

fasttalkingmom
08-04-03, 12:36 PM
Not sure if it can be see real well.....

http://community.webshots.com/album/84236506gOrKuY

The baskets on the bottom right, I labeled each one with the name of who it belongs to....

I labeled 2 wire baskets that are on the top shelf....
' Mail in box' ..... Mail out box'

Middle shelf is labeled ' school projects' and lunch bags....

Bottom shelf on the left of bottom baskets are labeled
' Back pack only !'.........

On the side a added a shoe rack and a scatter rug under it .....

So far the shoe rack is working...One problem with it.... I keep saying " were the heck are my sneakers" .....lol... Where they belong....lol... Imagine finding my sneakers where they belong...lol..

Slowpoke
08-04-03, 09:21 PM
Wow!
Looks great! Thanks for the idea! I have a interlocking 3 cube wire organizer that I think I can use for my launch pad. I think I`ll try having one for work, one for school stuff (knapsack) and one for things that need to be returned. I currently use it as a open concept dresser, since we live in a house where the various rooms are being used as bedrooms.. we have the `family room` downstairs, so although we have a fireplace, no closet. Only one dresser - it`s a 70`s style cheapie that my boyfriend bought.
Anyway, I put two milk crates on top of the cube thing, it`s set up two on bottom, one on right top, so the milk crates work fairly well.
As a launch pad, I think I`ll use the crates for things like bike gear I need to put on in the morning. Since I don`t have a car, I don`t have a need for a `take with you` box of stuff.
Do you find that things are being kept consistently where they need to be? My main issue with living here is that we did have a puppy dog (it was just given away today :() so I couldn`t leave stuff around or it would get into it. Also, living with roomates made it hard to feel comfortable with leaving my stuff by the door all the time. So I got into the habit of dragging everything I had with me to the bedroom, dumping it there. The used lunch containers never make it to the kitchen, so now there is a pile of `science experiments` of various micro-ecosystems in gladware on the floor outside our room.
I`m hoping that with a launch pad by the front door, since there is a space to put things down, there will be no need for things to get scattered around the other rooms. It might be a hodge-podge of things, but it`s going to be contained I guess.
As for the food containers, I guess it will be easier since the entrance and the kitchen are on the same level.
I don`t think we have a closet, so I might have to incorporate that into the launch pad...which will be a challenge, since the weather here changes a lot, we`ll need to have various coats on hand.

How long have you had this system? Does the mail in-mail out work well? I will have a mailbox in the commonsblock, so I think I will try to make it a habit to throw out any junk mail before it gets to the house. But as for how that mail is going to make it to my files properly is a mystery.

It is interesting though, how non-ADDers take it for granted about how habits and routines are made, but we think of routines in a different way... so it`s harder to have them/develop them. I find that once I have concretely `defined` a task into specific steps, it`s a lot easier. For example, making dinner... before I didn`t really consider cleaning up the dishes as part of the event, as I mainly categorized it as `consuming food` in my mind. Once I sat down and scrutinzed it as making food, serving it, eating it, cleaning up the wrappings, putting dishes away, it was a lot easier.

Anyone else feel the same way?
It`s as though the boundaries of what small tasks the event/routing has are blurred in my brain, but once I focus in on it, it fixes the problem for the most part.

I don`t know if that has to do with the book, to be honest, I havn`t been reading it, but I am in the process of planning the launch pad set up for when I move out.

fasttalkingmom
08-05-03, 10:33 AM
Thanks Slowpoke !

I just put this launch pad together this past weekend. So I haven't had the chance to see if it works well.

I need the launch pad because I have 2 kids 8 and 13 1/2 and I can't spend other school year yelling and stressing out over where stuff is and forgetting stuff at home. It makes me feel like an inadequate Mom... Which I know I'm not... :cool: When they come home from school it's a mess also. Shoes go everywhere and cant be found the next morning. Back packs get drop anywhere.

I have a funny story.... My oldest had a habit of droping her back pack in the middle of the room. I ask and ask for her to move it. I told her it's not safe because on day someone will trip over it.... "yes, mom I'll move it" This some child had a sandwich in one and a drink in the other... Didn't see her own back pack, tripped over it and fell to the floor...lol... Her drink all over her...lol... I jumped to see if she was ok, she was lying there laughing....lol... Haven't had the back pack in the middle of the room problem again....lol...

Your idea about the crates sounds good ! Maybe when you stack them you could use zip ties to keep them together and from falling over. Then I'd label which crate is for what.

let me know...........

Paula

Slowpoke
09-03-03, 03:03 PM
I found a link on organizedhome that talks about the launch pad... I wonder who coined the term?
anyway, here`s the link...
http://organizedhome.com/organized/launchpad.html

Slowpoke
09-03-03, 03:05 PM
Also, I would like to set one up... I have a bunch of milk crates I can use... and a shelf that is not being used right now, but it will be moved away from the wall/door soon I think.
What is your daily routine for keeping the launch pad working for you?
How do you maintain it so it works, I guess is what I am asking.