View Full Version : ADHD meds and Hypomania

BellaVita
02-12-14, 08:30 PM
So, I have a theory/idea as to how perhaps ADHD meds and ADHD affects Bipolar mood swings.

Take meds---->meds wear off---->ADHD rebound effect("Driven by a motor")----->go-go-go----->hypomania

I'm thinking the ADHD rebound where symptoms are temporarily worsened plays a part in the gradual shift and triggering of hypomania.

Or;

Take meds---->go-go-go---->meds wear off---->still go-go-go---->hypomania

(As if the meds "never wear off", triggered right from the start or increasingly so as they are in the system longer, then hypomania)

"go-go-go" refers to how one is symptomatically when hypomanic, *not* to be confused with "driven by a motor" in ADHD.

Thoughts?

fracturedstory
02-13-14, 03:34 AM
I relate to the second one.

I've also noticed how just a bit of fish oil, plus an accomplished task can put me in a very high mood. The fish oil thing confuses me. I've tried not to have any today because it kept me up all night. But I had the racing thoughts and creative ideas and all that good stuff. But then, no sleep = ADHD X7000 the next day.

sarahsweets
02-13-14, 05:25 AM
Bella darlin' I think for people like us (and fractured), this will always be a question. "" TIs it the meds or me?" This is why so many doctors think stimulants are dangerous for people with bipolar. I think careful monitoring of a bipolar person with stimulants is a must but its very much a chicken or the egg debate.

InvitroCanibal
03-01-14, 02:39 PM
Stress I find is a trigger for bipolar. It seems to be this way to me because bipolar often emerges in college students and around specific stressful events. My mom's emerged at age 12 when her parents divorced she said it was the first time she heard the voice of "god." Mine seemed to emerge in 5th grade which was a very stressful year.

Anyways I think the main thing is try to reduce stress, I know that sounds like an impossible thing but there are ways to do it. I find tea helps...lots and lots of tea, chamomille to be exact.

A good recipe I know of by the way for the best damn tea of your life, is adding milk, honey and chamomile tea to boiling water. Put the tea in first though of course, let it steep for 3 to 5 minutes etc.

I drink that maybe 5 times a day and find it helps.

abk2014
04-10-14, 08:56 PM
Getting treated for ADD has improved my life so much, I sometimes worry that I'm verging on hypomanic. My mood is better and more stable, I feel more self-assured (but that's because I'm more put together), and I get so much more done than I used to. Life feels more hopeful again, and I feel more relaxed.

And of course, as usual, when things are going well my brain has to find something to worry about....

Those who know more than I do, does any of that sound remotely like hypomania? Or can ADD-free life really be that much better?

I was diagnosed with Bipolar II 3 years ago...took Abilify and Lamictal, both made my mood a lot worse, actually. When I got a 2nd opinion, the new doc said I was actually just depressed and gave me Celexa. I never felt manic on Celexa, but it made inattention worse.

I now take citalopram, wellbutrin, and vyvanse, which is a pretty powerful combo, so I do have worries in the back of my head from that original diagnosis.

BellaVita
04-10-14, 09:46 PM
Getting treated for ADD has improved my life so much, I sometimes worry that I'm verging on hypomanic. My mood is better and more stable, I feel more self-assured (but that's because I'm more put together), and I get so much more done than I used to. Life feels more hopeful again, and I feel more relaxed.

And of course, as usual, when things are going well my brain has to find something to worry about....

Those who know more than I do, does any of that sound remotely like hypomania? Or can ADD-free life really be that much better?

I was diagnosed with Bipolar II 3 years ago...took Abilify and Lamictal, both made my mood a lot worse, actually. When I got a 2nd opinion, the new doc said I was actually just depressed and gave me Celexa. I never felt manic on Celexa, but it made inattention worse.

I now take citalopram, wellbutrin, and vyvanse, which is a pretty powerful combo, so I do have worries in the back of my head from that original diagnosis.

In my opinion that doesn't sound like hypomania to me.....

But I'd be careful....

What does your doc think? Is it the same one who diagnosed you 3 years ago?

abk2014
04-11-14, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the input.

My current doc doesn't think that I'm bipolar. I was in a pretty bad student health system with 30 min appointments once a week, and I got shuffled around a lot. The first one diagnosed me as bipolar ii after like 10 minutes. She said antidepressants would make me manic. When I had to start seeing someone else, the next doc said it was probably just depression. I took citalopram with no obviously manic symptoms. I got moved over again, and the next one said I had OCD and attention problems. He prescribed Wellbutrin.

When they tried to switch me again, I got fed up and went to a private practice. After a long evaluation he said depression, ADD, and OCD, but probably no bipolar. I just fear what would happen if the first one had been right!