View Full Version : Green tea helps the sleep cycle of people with ADHD?

lavita_bella
02-14-14, 11:27 PM
So I don't really remember how I was even lead to this bit of research (I know I was starting to look up the effects of MSG and Adderall... I ate a bunch of Chinese food and started feeling anxious. I have anxiety along with ADHD-PI and so I'm extra sensitive to anything that potentiates Adderall.. gotta keep it at the right dose. In other words, lots of MSG-filled Chinese food = bad with stimulants! ya learn something new every day..)

I was looking up ways to get the icky anxious feeling out of my body I guess, cuz the MSG was making me feel REALLY weird. I discovered taking Resveratrol is fairly helpful (although that may metabolize the Adderall faster.. and get it out of your system faster... I'm guessing this because it's got red wine extract in it sometimes which may contain vitamin C? just a guess-- correct me if I'm wrong), and then I read something about green tea.

Apparently on Wikipedia (and YES Wikipedia... so don't take this advice super seriously) it says drinking green tea is supposedly helpful in improving the sleep cycle of individuals with ADHD.

I know a lot of people with ADHD have issues with sleep, and issues with sleep patterns. There was even a theory somewhere (some book I read..) that ADHD is essentially a sleep disorder (although I'm not sure how much credit I'd put into that).

So I thought that was pretty cool, and I thought I'd share that :) green tea is also an anti-oxidant, it improves memory and cognition, and decreases anxiety ! Of course, it's got a bit of caffeine in it, so be careful if you're taking a stimulant. :)

DichotOhMy
02-20-14, 08:19 AM
I believe what you're eluding to is the L-theanine in green tea, which is also present in oolong and black teas at lesser concentration. One can also purchase suntheanine to get a 100% formulation of this particular isomer of theanine.

Unfortunately, while supplementing does help calm me down a little, and I prefer tea for this reason as a calming to the edginess of drinking a lot of caffeine, neither does anything to improve my sleep architecture or quality.